tech question...

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
nah just a couple of fingers..:)
it all depends on if the chain rings are bolted on or in my case riveted for price hints you could check either bikenashbar or performancebikes for ideas on what the part will cost I think swapping it out would be pretty straight forward if it is a bolt on replacement.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
my rings are bolted on. ive been toying with the notion of replacing my big ring with a bash guard, so i guess this little problem couldnt have come at a better time. now i just have to find out what size i would need to replace it.

sixseven

That could be it...but I am chain obsessive and would recommend doing this:
I remove my chain and put it in a mason jar with some solvent in it and shake it vigorously around to flush out all the dirt and remove the old lube.
I dry off the solvent with a rag and wash the chain in soapy water, using a different jar and the shake vigorously method.
Then rinse in hot hot water, dry it with a towel and put it in the sun or on a radiator for a while to dry. I clean the rest of the drivetrain at that point.
re assemble and apply White Lightning liberally.

This whole activity is so satisfying...like a good ear cleaning with a Q-tip.

I run the solvent thru a coffee filter to clean it and get several uses out of it.

Clean bike, clean mind.

I posted this a while back and it really works for me keeping the drivetrain clean and in working order.

walter

Fourth Party
That could be it...but I am chain obsessive and would recommend doing this:
I remove my chain and put it in a mason jar with some solvent in it and shake it vigorously around to flush out all the dirt and remove the old lube.
I dry off the solvent with a rag and wash the chain in soapy water, using a different jar and the shake vigorously method.
Then rinse in hot hot water, dry it with a towel and put it in the sun or on a radiator for a while to dry. I clean the rest of the drivetrain at that point.
re assemble and apply White Lightning liberally.

This whole activity is so satisfying...like a good ear cleaning with a Q-tip.

I run the solvent thru a coffee filter to clean it and get several uses out of it.

Clean bike, clean mind.

I posted this a while back and it really works for me keeping the drivetrain clean and in working order.

when the hell do you find time to ride?

walter

Fourth Party
my rings are bolted on. ive been toying with the notion of replacing my big ring with a bash guard, so i guess this little problem couldnt have come at a better time. now i just have to find out what size i would need to replace it.

Scott, don't know if you noticed my bashguard the day we rode at 6 mile, but its the poly MRP one, its bad ass and was only about $30 i think. Honestly if it is your middle ring thats causing the problem, its an easy fix. Most shops should be able to do it while you wait.

sixseven

when the hell do you find time to ride?

Things have changed since that post. Now I just send the chain to China and tell them when I will be riding next. They have a pretty good idea of what 'clean' is, sometimes I will buff it with a few crisp 1000$ bills when it arrives just to reduce wind resistance. The dirty bills are good for kindling.

Sometimes when I want to ride I will just hire someone from the chain cleaner company to ride for me.

walter

Fourth Party
Things have changed since that post. Now I just send the chain to China and tell them when I will be riding next. They have a pretty good idea of what 'clean' is, sometimes I will buff it with a few crisp 1000$ bills when it arrives just to reduce wind resistance. The dirty bills are good for kindling.

Sometimes when I want to ride I will just hire someone from the chain cleaner company to ride for me.

well its obvious you're loaded. I mean with your mason jar/solvent/coffee filter collection.

But with so much money, why not replace the radiators?

See you in the morning sunshine

Kmoodymz3

Garrett at BikeHaven is a very good wrench (as well as a great guy rider). He should be able to diagnose the issue for you and you won't be driving wicked far.

I agree Garrett is a great wrench, friendly, will show you what is wrong and will fix it for a fair $.

Top Bottom