TDF: Stage 17

kush

PROFIL.gif

So all of a sudden I'm getting text messages from Armstrong's Twitter. Not sure why now all of a sudden. Maybe he likes me, and only me. And I'm at work, so not watching the Tour. Apparently there is some drama :rolleyes:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hats off to Schleck brothers

Andy and Frank Schleck gave a remarkable performance today trading off pulls at the front of the peleton over multiple cat. 1 climbs. By the time they were done the only guy who could hang with them was the guy in yellow AC. When Contador tried to counter attack the Schlecks were right on him, the only guy he dropped was his team-mate Kloden.(oops)
Frank got the stage win but both were amazing. For me this was best stage of tour so far.:popcorn:

MST.ESQ

When asked about the AC break-away (can be viewed on versus.com) Lance chose to "bite his tongue"... What happened??? Was AC trying to put more of a gap on Armstrong because he does not trust him? After what I saw from Lance on stage 16 - if I were Lance, I would not hold back any longer and go for the overall (and perhaps hire Tonya Harding as a consultant).

During the interview, Lance was holding back when asked about his strategy for the individual time trial. I would not be surprised if he tries to make up his lost time on AC...

MST.ESQ

The next video is of the team manager (?) admitting that he told AC not to go so they could have the top 3 spots on the podium.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
While Contador is a great at riding a bike I dont think he is that smart... He almost blew it in the pyrenes when he wanted to attack with 2wks of racing left.(gettiing in yellow this early in the race would burn out you and team too early)

dualfisted

i was diggin this tour so much....

But today was amazing and torturous all at once, I hope Lance kills on the TT and then smokes that last big mountain!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
The Schleck brothers are pure class.

For a guy who has already won each of the grand tours, Contador still betrays a lack of genuine control over things. As strong as he is, he still seems to be on the defensive psychologically.

Great stage. The Ventoux promises to be frigging epic on Saturday.

kush

Finally something unscripted to make for interesting viewing

What if AC dropped the Schlecks? Would we condemn his move then?

Bring on the TT!

(good for Schlecks to win one for Jens)

BiknBen

Once the group is down to just the contenders, you do not go to the front unless you have something to gain. Frank was pulling the group in support of his Bro. They were putting time into LA, Sastre, Wiggins, etc.

We don't have any idea what AC was thinking when he surged. He may have seen an opportunity to take the stage win and gave it a go. Both Shleks were able to match him so he had to shut it down and rethink that.

It was just unfortunate that Kloden was not able to follow as well. Once isolated, AC had to be defensive and just follow wheels. He went from an attempt to gain time on Andy Shlek to ensuring that he didn't loose time.

When the group was down to four, Kloden was either struggling or saving himself for an attempt at the stage win. He was no longer supporting AC. AC didn't need him for pace-seting so it was ok to drop him.

OTOH, if Kloden was sitting on for the stage win and AC knew it...then AC shafted his teammate. Not cool!

THATmanMANNY

Kloden deserves a stage win too! I like the fella. All this "teammate" talk with Lance but IMO Kloden is a true team player. He is up front all day every stage pulling Astana and countering every move making sure AC is not alone. Unfortunately every time he is out of juice at the end. AC is a fool! In the end every one looks out for themselves, including Lance which I don't have a problem with. Racing is racing and Lance is gonna dig deep tomorrow to ensure a podium spot. It's gonna be exciting!

Lance won SEVEN! His experience really shows every stage and every interview yapping about the stage, grade, tactics, etc. He needs to give AC a few backhands and set him in his place! In the future I can't wait to see Lance as a team director. I think he will bring even more to the table for cycling then. I'm anxious to hear what he will be announcing tomorrow too.

Oh yea and what's up with the stuffed lion animal as a prize?

Last edited:

BiknBen

Kloden deserves a stage win too!

He certainly does but he will have to earn it. His teammates would be willing to gift him one but the rest of the racers are not so kind. Even if all four had gone over the mountain together, it is likely that one of the Shleks would have taken the win. They were super-motivated yesterday.

There are many guys that will sit on the front all day and seem to get nothing in return. That is their job and they take pride in it. With all the winning that Astana is doing, they are collecting a huge portion of the race purse. All the guys on that team will be receiving a huge bonus on Sunday. ;)

The lion is the mascot of Credit Lionase. It is a bank that Sponsors the yellow jersey. Each jersey has a sponsor. PDM sponsors the green jersey. I'm sure they were stoked to see Thor off the front all day. That is huge exposure.

Alberto is a fool and is full of himself and has no idea what a team is about.... He should try and race the TDF next year as a sinlge... There was no need for AC to attack at the time the 4 riders where clear of all the others... All he needed to do was match all the Schlecks had to offer... I wouldn't be suprised if Kloeden who is the third best climber on the team does very little to help AC on Saturday... The Schleck's are a class act and Alberto is an ASS

notwist

Alberto is a fool and is full of himself and has no idea what a team is about.... He should try and race the TDF next year as a sinlge... There was no need for AC to attack at the time the 4 riders where clear of all the others... All he needed to do was match all the Schlecks had to offer... I wouldn't be suprised if Kloeden who is the third best climber on the team does very little to help AC on Saturday... The Schleck's are a class act and Alberto is an ASS

He may be an ass but you can't deny that he may currently be the greatest cyclist in the world.

Top Bottom