tapered head tube questions

larryeverett

If a bike has a tapered head tube, does that restrict what kind of fork you can get? Or will the head set take care of any issues mating old and new parts?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
there is an adapter to put a straight fork into a tapered frame -

goog for it - there are many - someone can probably say "use this one"

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some technical stuff to check out below, but short answer is if the bike came with a tapered fork you should be able to use almost any threadless (aka current) fork. You may need a new lower cup/bearing and crown race (crown race goes on the fork) if you are going from tapered to straight. The upper is most likely the same.
The steerer tube length is a critical dimension if you are looking at say, a used fork. Also make sure it fits your current wheels.
Sorry to be kinda generic here. If you have any specifics post em up. The Cane Creek link is probably more helpful here.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/headset-standards

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Last edited:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Cane Creek headsets are available in "mix and match" where you can get the wider lower race with a standard head to retrofit a straight steerer to a tapered headtube. And their customer service is fantastic - I had a question about one I recently purchased and their rep walked me through everything. If you call them, all you have to know are the dimensions of the headtube and the fork model you want to fit.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
i second the cane creek.

i recently had my niner frame replaced on warranty and i got a tapered headtube. i was able to get the specific upper and lower bearings separately to use my non tapered fork

larryeverett

so my specific problem is the other way around. i have a straight 1-1/8" head tube and looking to see if a tapered fork will be a deal breaker.

Does anyone know how the oversized headtubes for certain bikes, specifically the santa cruz chameleon, work? is that essentially a 1.5 in headtube that uses headsets that can accept any size?

Top Bottom