Sussex Branch Trail

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Hi.

My son (9 y.o.) and I are thinking about a little "epic" on Sunday. I'm thinking about catching the SBT at KVSP and doing an out-and-back going south/SW to the end of the trail.

Any idea how far that might be? Is the trail in that direction in good condition?

Thanks.
Tim

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
between 5 and 6 miles each way. all pretty easy.

Cool. That'd make it is his longest single ride by 'bout 2X. And if he wants to ride some more when we get back, we can try a few trails at KVSP. That seems to be his mode at MD; ride the rail bed out-and-back, then try out some "real trails" as he puts it :)

Thanks.
Tim

anrothar

entirely thrilled
nice. and it's generally "downhill" oriented for the last few miles heading into kittatiny from mooch, so it should be an easy return if he's hurting.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
nice. and it's generally "downhill" oriented for the last few miles heading into kittatiny from mooch, so it should be an easy return if he's hurting.

That's a good thing; he certainly has some "conditioning" to do. Though, he surprises me every time we go out.

Even though he is 4'9"-ish, hits the scales at a stout 112 lbs, and hasn't ridden all that much, he isn't afraid of hills. In fact, last time we rode he *asked* me to take him to some hills...TO CLIMB!!!

Dunno' where he gets that from 'cause it sure ain't me :hmmm:

When he gets some miles in I think he'll be a fine little mountain biker as it seems very "natural" to him. In fact, I've already started preparing his brothers old Trek 4300 for him 'cause by the end of the summer I think he'll be wanting to do some more challenging things I wouldn't trust the little 24 inch wheeled wonder to do. Plus, the kid is growing like a weed.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Not a bad run today. There were some trees down and a few mud bogs that sucked the life out of Timmy. At one point, in Byram, we ran some asphalt to avoid a really muddy part of the trail and Timmy decided that he was feeling a little more "roadie" than "mountain bike" today. So we did some road riding.

13 miles for the day at around 7 mph. Not too bad considering it was 2X as long as any ride he'd done before. Regardless, we both had a fabulous father-son day...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
nice! most of us take the road around that really washed out section as well. he had a good time though? pics?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
nice! most of us take the road around that really washed out section as well. he had a good time though? pics?

After about 4-5 miles I was starting to wonder if he was having a good time...it is a subtle climb out of KVSP for almost the entire distance. Once we spent some time on the road, though, he got a second wind and started rollin'.

When we got back to KVSP, he dragged me on the paved loop over by the airport *three* times. After two, I was thinkin' about taking a snooze somewhere...but Moose wouldn't let me sit :)

He did have a good time and is looking forward to going back to KVSP again. Next time, we'll even take Maggie 'cause it is a nice park with a lot of uber-family friendly places to ride. KVSP is more if a gem than I imagined.

Sorry, no pictures. I, and my wife, are both HORRIFIC picture takers. We forget cameras, or have them and just don't think about it. We've always been that way and, I know, someday we're going to regret it. My mom kicks my ass regularly about it...but it just doesn't seem to stick with us. Fortunately, we have lots of friends who seem to live with cameras in their hands...

C

caminante

hey i saw the two of you...was parked like 3 cars down

then i noticed i had driven my bike through some dog stuff yuck...guess people do not notice the yellow bags they provide...

i cannot wait till my son (6) is old enough to go riding with me he is just learning now...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
hey i saw the two of you...was parked like 3 cars down

then i noticed i had driven my bike through some dog stuff yuck...guess people do not notice the yellow bags they provide...

i cannot wait till my son (6) is old enough to go riding with me he is just learning now...

Bummer 'bout the dog poop :(

Were you on the dark green Specialized?

Yeah, riding with my son is rockin'. Not much of a challenge (yet, anyway), but more fun than I've ever had on a bike.

C

caminante

yeah that was me

it is a solid bike but i am not worthy of it i suck big time with it...

i tried two of the trails in between the wooded section near the airport red and blue and ate it big time on both of them... :D maybe next time i will try the trails off of the rail trail

that is awesome your son is into riding with you enjoy...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
yeah that was me

it is a solid bike but i am not worthy of it i suck big time with it...

i tried two of the trails in between the wooded section near the airport red and blue and ate it big time on both of them... :D maybe next time i will try the trails off of the rail trail

that is awesome your son is into riding with you enjoy...

I can never remember a face, but I can always remember a bike. 'Probably not alone in that...

I've never ridden the "real trails" at KVSP. It is nice park and I wanna' try some there, sans Timmy, though. I live very close to Mahlon Dickerson, so most of my riding is there.

C

caminante

yeah i am with you on not remembering a face...but i also forgot your bike

i used to live like 7 minutes from mahlon but never rode there i assume it is not an easy place to ride...now i am on the sussex side of the lake...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
yeah i am with you on not remembering a face...but i also forgot your bike

i used to live like 7 minutes from mahlon but never rode there i assume it is not an easy place to ride...now i am on the sussex side of the lake...

Mahlon certainly has some challenging trails...

NJ Vike

Bugs

Love the trail and went from Newton to Andover Junction; just over RT206. I believe I hit every bug out there. Good think I was wearing sun glasses. Unfortunately, they got me in the ankles :mad: I forgot to get bug repellent but I won't forget the next time.

Top Bottom