Suspension help

CommandoStyle

I have decided that I want to get a suspension fork for my 2010 Mary SS...I mostly ride my local trails (Hartshorne and Huber) but plan on doing a few races per season and I want to give my hands and wrists some relief on the longer rides. I want to be able to lockout the suspension and also want to keep the price at or below $750. I was looking at the fox forks but there are a few to choose from and I am not sure which features/travel I should be lookng for. Any input from you guys would be great. I pretty much want to get a new one so it is covered by a warranty.

Thank you in advance :)

TimWarchol

Scum Sucker
Try a rockshox reba xx. the lockout is great and the suspension is beautiful. i think you would want 100mm travel. I have the sid and they are rather pricy, but you can get an awesome deal on one on jensonusa.com

I have decided that I want to get a suspension fork for my 2010 Mary SS...I mostly ride my local trails (Hartshorne and Huber) but plan on doing a few races per season and I want to give my hands and wrists some relief on the longer rides. I want to be able to lockout the suspension and also want to keep the price at or below $750. I was looking at the fox forks but there are a few to choose from and I am not sure which features/travel I should be lookng for. Any input from you guys would be great. I pretty much want to get a new one so it is covered by a warranty.

Thank you in advance :)

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Agree with Tim on the Reba...I don't have the XX, but am riding the 2008 and 2009 versions. They have been great, highly tunable, and easy to self-service. I've ridden them all over the NE on varied terrain, and have no complaints. I'd have to think the XX is that much better... I once owned a Fox TALAS (the first version, 2003 I think)...loved that fork, but was not really self servicable. If you go for a Reba, also agree Jenson (and sometimes Speedgoat) have good deals. But shop at your LBS first and see what they can do. Marty's gave me a good deal on the TALAS when I bought it from them.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
You can find a Reba take off in that price range, and still treat yourself to a new tubeless wheelset ;)

I went from a rigid mary to the reba and it was a relief. The 100mm felt awesome. You could debate going 80mm/100mm, so it will throw off your geo a tad. Nothing moving the stem around can't fix though. I felt like the bike handled better with the 100 vs the 80.

CommandoStyle

Thanks for the input guys
Try a rockshox reba xx. the lockout is great and the suspension is beautiful. i think you would want 100mm travel. I have the sid and they are rather pricy, but you can get an awesome deal on one on jensonusa.com

I hadn't realized Reba was so well regarded...I think i will go for 100mm

Agree with Tim on the Reba...I don't have the XX, but am riding the 2008 and 2009 versions. They have been great, highly tunable, and easy to self-service. I've ridden them all over the NE on varied terrain, and have no complaints. I'd have to think the XX is that much better... I once owned a Fox TALAS (the first version, 2003 I think)...loved that fork, but was not really self servicable. If you go for a Reba, also agree Jenson (and sometimes Speedgoat) have good deals. But shop at your LBS first and see what they can do. Marty's gave me a good deal on the TALAS when I bought it from them.

What is it abuot the fox fork that makes it difficult to service?

You can find a Reba take off in that price range, and still treat yourself to a new tubeless wheelset ;)

I went from a rigid mary to the reba and it was a relief. The 100mm felt awesome. You could debate going 80mm/100mm, so it will throw off your geo a tad. Nothing moving the stem around can't fix though. I felt like the bike handled better with the 100 vs the 80.

I went tubeless after getting a couple flats at DH40 and the fork is gonna be my christmas gift

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
What is it abuot the fox fork that makes it difficult to service?

The TALAS at the time was not easy to take apart, and the TALAS cartridge itself was not serviceable by a home mechanic (had to be taken apart by Fox). But that was 7 years ago, perhaps they are better about that now. I know their rear shocks are cake to overhaul. THe Reba is great...fully able to be broken down, cleaned, oiled and re-assembled. Should have mentioned, mine are SL models, not sure if that makes a difference, but the XX is likely even better.

CommandoStyle

I would get a through axle fox fork, but that's just me. And I'm only saying that because I won't be able to sell you on getting a Lefty ;)
http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/10/forks/32_F29

I like the idea of the lefty but am not daring enough to try it on my non-cannondale, so yes not gonna be able to sell me... Would the fox fork work with my current stan's wheel/hub?

I like to do my own wrenching, would that make a difference between which fork I should get?

TimWarchol

Scum Sucker
stick with rockshox... dealing with fox cs when u need them is very slow compared to sram and their entire line. They have the best product assurance and cs known to man

R0B

+1 for Rock Shox. I haven't had a Reba but I've bought 3 other Rock Shox forks before, I can attest to the fact that they can take a licking and keep on ticking. I'll have a hard time buying something other than a Rock Shox fork, especially if it's aftermarket.

Robson

I'm running Reba Race 2009 on my RIP 9. Easy tune up and work flawlessly. I used to have it on Jet 9 at 100mm. Transferred to Rip, removed spacer and running 120mm now for more than a year. Highly recommended!

Top Bottom