Surly Instigator 2 - Medium - $750 - SOLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkovo

Medium Surly Instigator 2 $800 or BO. Pickup in High Bridge 5min from Nassau trails

Bought here last March and put about 450 miles on it since. I really like it, but have too many hardtails and overlaps with my ICT.

Current setup:

Frame: Medium, year unknown. Sliding MDS dropout chip with hanger installed to run SS or geared. Currently setup SS with 19t Niner cog
Fork: Fox 32. Changed oil in lowers and lubed seals/foam rings back when I bought it.
Wheels/tires: 26+ Rabbit hole rims on SLX hubs. 2.8" DHF front and rear setup split tube tubeless. Non Boost spacing 142/100
Cranks: GX with a 30 tooth ring and new BB. MRP Chain Guide
Brakes: SLX 2 piston, centerlock rotors: F-203mm, R-180mm.
Stem: Bontrager Big Earl...50mm I think.
Bars: Protaper low rise 780mm uncut with ODI longneck grips
Seatpost: 1st gen Giant Contact Switch dropper with 20mm setback and 2x lever. Dropper is either 100mm or 120mm not sure. Internally routed via hole drilled in seat-tube.
Saddle: Charge Spoon
Pedals: will include a set of cheap plastic platforms

Super versatile platform. I used it setup 26+ geared 1x10 most of the time I've had it, but also ran it for a bit geared 27.5+ with i35 rims and 2.6 rear, 2.8 front tires. It had plenty of tire clearance that way. In fact I ran the rear wheel slammed fwd in the sliders with that combo. The slightly higher BB didn't freak out the handling either.

The seatpost has a 1 bolt seat clamp which slipped when I initially installed my seat. I used carbon paste and upped the torque slightly and it's been rock solid ever since, but mentioning in the interest of full disclosure.

It's a fun bike and will be in my regular rotation until/unless it sells. Bike has some scratches and cable rub here and there, but overall in nice shape. Has downtube sticker rub from the bungee I use when it's on my rack. I bought it through this site, but from a mechanic at Cycle Craft. I don't think it saw much use before I bought it.

50% chance it will be parked in front of the newly opened High Rail brewery in HB later today for in person viewing :cool:

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 207
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 154
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 127
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 147
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 132

pkovo

Who wants the prestigious honor of owning the first bike ever on the HB Pump Track......when the track was still just a pile of dirt?

Gator.png

#shamelessbump#

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Medium Surly Instigator 2 $800 or BO. Pickup in High Bridge 5min from Nassau trails

I bought it through this site, but from a mechanic at Cycle Craft. I don't think it saw much use before I bought it. :cool:

I was <this> close to buying this from Geoff. It's pretty cool. Knowing it'll run 27.5+ makes it that much more interesting. GLWS!

pkovo

I was <this> close to buying this from Geoff. It's pretty cool. Knowing it'll run 27.5+ makes it that much more interesting. GLWS!

I probably looked at the ad 20 different times back when he had it for sale before I went and looked at it. I bought it knowing it made no sense given the overlap with my other bikes, but I just wanted it anyway. Don't regret it either, it was a really fun bike, but I have too many bikes and too little time to ride them so....

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I probably looked at the ad 20 different times back when he had it for sale before I went and looked at it. I bought it knowing it made no sense given the overlap with my other bikes, but I just wanted it anyway. Don't regret it either, it was a really fun bike, but I have too many bikes and too little time to ride them so....

I liked it a lot, but wound up finding the Heckler right around the same time. Peeps who own Instigators seem to dig 'em.

pkovo

Winters coming. Don't ride your fancy expensive carbon full suspension bike in the terrible winter conditions.....Ride this bike instead! The 2.8" tires will claw through it all in style!

Added bonus, Marty's fat 50 allowed for 2.8" tires last year. Do it Do it.

IMG_0904.jpg

pkovo

Thinking about doing the Bearscat 50 but not sure it will be challenging enough?

Buy this bike and do it single speed on a steel bike with burly plus tires to add some effort!

Disclamer: shameless bump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom