Surf (maybe)? Sunday February Tooth

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i totally messed up the title - should be sunday february da turd.

due to the warm weather coming, and the possibilities of crap trail conditions... i'm thinking about surfing.

i know it would take a psychic to say if there is any swell on tap for the weekend... but the way the super-long term forecasts look, there may be some big swell on saturday and leftovers on sunday the 3rd.

if anyone is game - i'll be probably heading out on sunday for sesh at the spring lake north pavillion during low tide (whenever that is) if the forecast holds.

BUTT -:wedgie:

if the weather forecast changes, and the trails look like they could be frozen instead of sloppy, i'll be taking out the bike instead... unless surf conditions are REALLY stellar.

Last edited:

MMuller

Caught great day two weekends ago at the north pavillion in SL. Will check it out on Sunday. Of course, dukestorm.com is always a reliable report and surline/belmar has the cam.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The internet Ruined surfing if you live at the beach.

It MADE surfing if you live inland.

I haven't been skunked in a long time.

sorry..

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
i like what the net has done... that way i don't clog a line up in stuff that is way too big for me (when i end up sitting like a buoy stuck on the inside)... and i also know when to bring my wife down so she can surf the hunny-bunny waves in the summer when no one is really out anyway...

but yeah, i will say the line up is clogged on waist high and super clean days when we have them... that's why i midweek-dawn patrol it.

jdog

Shop Keep
Great wed surf session

Super day in the water today.

The wind was howling wsw all day and the swell had some nice punch. Great lines and the longest right I have ever had on the east cost. I rode my 9' channel islands peformer 2 which i normally save for small surf but it handled it like a charm.

My first waves of 08 were on a day to remember.

Head high + all day. 4 hours in the water.

Mean paddle out with lots of drift due to heavy current and wind.

I saw some surfing that was world class out there too. Super vibes all around.

Hate that 5/4/3 for paddling but I was really warm. I might have been on in the 4/3 today.

I should have posted that i was going but I wasn't sure till this am.

Anyone else hit it today??

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Super day in the water today.

The wind was howling wsw all day and the swell had some nice punch. Great lines and the longest right I have ever had on the east cost. I rode my 9' channel islands peformer 2 which i normally save for small surf but it handled it like a charm.

My first waves of 08 were on a day to remember.

Head high + all day. 4 hours in the water.

Mean paddle out with lots of drift due to heavy current and wind.

I saw some surfing that was world class out there too. Super vibes all around.

Hate that 5/4/3 for paddling but I was really warm. I might have been on in the 4/3 today.

I should have posted that i was going but I wasn't sure till this am.

Anyone else hit it today??

damn - that sounds f'ing awesome - 4 hours too.

i wish i could have gone. i'm checking the forecasts and eyeing this sunday as a possible time to go out.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
i just checked the forecast at wavewatch (surfline is blocked at work) for sunday.

can this be right? - sunday, they are showing 13+ foot swell for half the day?

holy geez.

http://www.wavewatch.com/Surf-Forecast-Region.php?RegionID=10

but dukestorm is showing 'small and clean'...

http://www.dukestorm.com/surfcast.php

:hmmm:

i did a 'test' of the surfcast websites over the period of two weeks... surfline was the most reliable and accurate, dukestorm a close second, and wavewatch was off almost 20% of the time... i think i'm gonna trust dukestorm in this case for sunday.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Sunday looks like a good day for surf too.. Keep an eye out.

you're not kidding... its looking pretty good.

i think i am going to skip the morning, and do an early afternoon-ish sesh (may start around 1pm) at spring lake. with the high tide being around 9am, i think it'll get too deep to break too quick in the morning, unless i got there at like 5am.

the second low tide is at 3ish - although it could get bumpy with the possibility of stronger afternoon winds, it might be worth it to have a longer time in the water.

MMuller

wax your boards

Tomorrow looks like yet another epic south swell. It's really worked out well this year when trails too wet then there's a great swell. By the time the waves drop then the trails are dry.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop Keep
Great day in the water today. The wind was howling offshore. This was a repeat of wed with a nice south push with nice right hand walls. Head high+ all over the place.

The day started by pulling my frozen wetsuit out of my truckbed and defrosting it in the bathtub.

It wasn't so bad putting it on wet. I guess that is better than frozen.

Anyone else hit it??

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
great stuff there!

by the way i didn't get in any wave time this past weekend :mad:

here's a few highlights from some pics i took back in october... i posted them up on localswell... it was an amazing day - real glassy. the sky was awesome as a front moved through.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

Top Bottom