Super ss ebay find

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had that frame years ago... My back still hurts from it.

It's OK deal wise... Fork is garbage, everything else on it out of the cheap parts bin... I think that's about where that bike should be.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What size is 19.5, a large?
Not sure why Trek is not making the superfly SS bike anymore. The geometry is the same as Gary Fisher Rig, which was something perfected over the years and a frame that I find works remarkably well, for me anyway.

Currently Trek is not producing a SS specific bike, I believe they do have a bike with derailleur hanger that can be removed but it's not same geo as the old Rig/Superfly.

Also they finally developed that slider system that is reliable on the 2015 superfly SS after years of fucked up EBB from Gary Fisher then when Trek took over in 2010/2011 They had a weak slider system that failed after 3 rides. So basically Trek finally got it right in 2015 but by 2017 decides not to produce frame anymore???

I blame fat bikes, they ruin everything:)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The frame geo is the same it was years ago as the Superfly. The top tube is somewhat long, for @UtahJoe this could make his back hurt. For me it works, I like the aggressive race position.

danclmbr

Would you guys recommend buying this bike for somebody on the budget that wants to start riding ?
And if yes what would you upgrade first?
Thanx

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Would you guys recommend buying this bike for somebody on the budget that wants to start riding ?
And if yes what would you upgrade first?
Thanx
Yes , it's a good bike for the money. Make sure it fits first though.
I'm not sure why folks on a budget want to buy a bike on the cheap and then put money into Upgrades? The best upgrade you can do is to ride the bike a lot. I'm assuming you are somewhat new to mtbing and have not ridden a lot(more then 6hrs/wk. Your fitness will be the best upgrade, components wont be holding you back at this point. cheers:)

Blair

What size is 19.5, a large?
Not sure why Trek is not making the superfly SS bike anymore. The geometry is the same as Gary Fisher Rig, which was something perfected over the years and a frame that I find works remarkably well, for me anyway.

Currently Trek is not producing a SS specific bike, I believe they do have a bike with derailleur hanger that can be removed but it's not same geo as the old Rig/Superfly.

Also they finally developed that slider system that is reliable on the 2015 superfly SS after years of fucked up EBB from Gary Fisher then when Trek took over in 2010/2011 They had a weak slider system that failed after 3 rides. So basically Trek finally got it right in 2015 but by 2017 decides not to produce frame anymore???

I blame fat bikes, they ruin everything:)
Yes it's a large. Does anyone make a ss anymore? No superfly, no stumpjumper and no mariachi, unbelievable.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Salsa equips the Timberjack with ss capable alternator dropouts and they now make a Ti version. Got some fun looking Geo too.

Missed out on a frame/rigid fork combo of the same superfly Taylor found. Love those colors! Was kinda kicking myself until I got Blairs' superfly. Which I agree, the slider deal could be more robust.

Blair

Salsa equips the Timberjack with ss capable alternator dropouts and they now make a Ti version. Got some fun looking Geo too.

Missed out on a frame/rigid fork combo of the same superfly Taylor found. Love those colors! Was kinda kicking myself until I got Blairs' superfly. Which I agree, the slider deal could be more robust.
I had a rig with the ebb and it always slipped. the superfly horizontal dropouts were flawless for me and I swore off all ebbs after that. we should get another ride in and I'll adjust it to perfection for you.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
On the hub? Better just to use spacers instead?
No, giant uses a 4mm microscopic screw with even smaller microscopic 3mm hex head to adjust axle slider. And it's buried half inch inside something smaller than your pee hole. Too vulnerable for an ss bike. Oh, and the built in seat post clamp sucks ass. Other than that the carbon side of things are much nice.

Top Bottom