Sunday the 29th at Round Vallley

Dr Superb

IMHO, RV has only 1 redeeming quality. It drains well. So when everywhere else is sloppy, RV may be rideable.

Very true. I also like how there is a "beach" there as well, so when you finish your ride you can soak in the water. there concessions sometimes as well. it's kind of a unique / neat place to ride.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is a bunch of stuff to like about RV. The climbs, the climbs, and the climbs. You ride here enough and Matty cant call you a "flatlander" either.
If you park in the back lot, you get about 2500 ft of climbing in 15 ish miles. That on top of the rugged terrain... ? Whats not to love? :p

johnpitts01

RV Sunday

I left my house in Whitehouse Station @ 7:30 am yesterday. I was on the Cushetunk trails by 8am, after riding the power lines from the municipal building. Based on the number of spider webs I went through I must have been the first one out :)

Saw 1 other mtb'er - headed the other way. I assume he started from the parking lot at RV.

Make no mistake for me it's hike-a-bike for several portions of the ride at RV. And that's why I do it one way only. Up and over the mountain from the Cushetunk side is a good workout. I'd like to see the person that can make that climb on the bike.

But for me it's the fitness more than the bike ride. It's a great workout, with some fun on the bike thrown in. I have yet to try the whole thing in reverse. Probably will try it some time in October.

If it's fun you want - stay away from RV. If it's a test of your fitness and skill - RV welcomes the challenge!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How is the trail from the municipal building? Where does it start? I wanted to check that out a while ago but kinda forgot about it.

Mare

I didn't see this thread until today. I would have showed you around RV sometime while trying to make it more fun by distracting you from the pain or something. I am crazy...I love Round Valley!

Sorry it wasn't fun for you, but at least you tried it :)

johnpitts01

Trail from Municipal Building in Whitehouse.

The trail from the municipal building is ok. Kinda fun. If you get on the asphalt path that goes around the athletic fields you will see a clearing in the trees on the left as you approach the rear baseball field. Make the left and you will find the beginning of the trail. I follow the trail to the power lines, then ride the power lines and link up with the Cushetunk trails. The trail aling the power lines is completely overgrown right now. Pretty sure I am the only one out on these trails. I usually see some evidence of horses on the power line trail, but nothing in the past few weeks.

How is the trail from the municipal building? Where does it start? I wanted to check that out a while ago but kinda forgot about it.

johnpitts01

RV - how difficult is it?

For the benefit of those considering RV, I've done some work to create a route that illustrates what you can expect. This is not a track, but an approximate route created in Mapsource using a Topo Map. It's based on riding the trails lots. I am sure the route is not an exact match for the trails, but it's pretty close and serves the purpose to get an idea of the distances and ride profile.

My route is @ 17.5 miles. I was out for 2.5 hours on Saturday to complete the route. I wish I could say it took me that long to "ride" the route, but I am on foot for the toughest climbs. The climb @ the 5 mile mark, 8 mile mark and 11 mile mark are hike-a-bike for me.

All depends on your outllok and what you want from the route. For me it's great fun and a great workout. When I am pushing the bike up those climbs or fighting to climb on the bike I know I've got some of those fun descents to look forward to, and the great views of the lake.

Here's the route and the route profile;

988954307_rsvnf-L.jpg

988954507_e7VhW-L.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions