Sunday the 29th at Round Vallley

lou_b_83

I am going to be down by Round Valley on Sunday. Does.anyone want to give me a tour on the AM?

Can anyone tell me what trails to ride?
Should I bring the 6 inch travel full squish or the 29er hard tail?

walter

Fourth Party
I am going to be down by Round Valley on Sunday. Does.anyone want to give me a tour on the AM?

Can anyone tell me what trails to ride?
Should I bring the 6 inch travel full squish or the 29er hard tail?

Round valley is essentially one trail out and the same trail back. Bring whatever bike you are happy climbing on.

lou_b_83

I am happy on both bikes. Is it rocky or a lot of logs to jump over or drops to go l off of? Never seen the place before so sorry for all the questions. Is it really just one trail? How long is the trail? I feel like a kid asking all the questions like that. Lol

walter

Fourth Party
Its a lot of double track. There is the single track switchbacks before you get to the field but they are over as quickly as they begin. I think its like a 16 mile loop. I said *think*

Seriously, you go up, and up and up. then you go down. Then you turn around and do it in reverse.

lou_b_83

Sounds like fun. Anyone want to join me? Sport race speed with some stops. Come on you know you want to.

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
Rocks and climbing. Not much as far as logs. No real drops. Its not literally one trail but for the most part its and out and back with very few options that I know of. But on a serious note there is a lot of climbing. There are two parking options. The cushetunk lot will start you off with a grueling climb. Although Ive never started from the other lot, I believe it offers a more subtle start to the pain. If my schedule changes Ill let you know ...Id be happy to show you around.

lou_b_83

Nice. I think that I will bring the full squish then. So I can have some fun on the downs without fear.

lou_b_83

So I guess I should post up a time. I think 7:30 or 8:00 am sounds like a good start time at the Cushetank lot. Sound good? Anyone in 100% yet?

johnpitts01

Round Valley

I will be on the trails at RV some time tomorrow. I live nearby in Whitehouse Station.

I am old and slow and ride an old hardtail. No way I could keep up with you - but I'll keep an eye out.

I ride / hike-a-bike at RV for fitness and to enjoy the outdoors. No way I could do RV out-and-back. It would kill me. I ride one way from Cushetunk to the parking lot at RV, then take the road around the reservoir back to the parking lot and ride home.

Have fun at RV. Report back how you enjoyed it!

lou_b_83

My apologies Lou but right it isnt looking good. If anything changes I'll send you a PM. :(

No worry. I am sure I can find my way around.

If anyone else is on the fence. I drive a black jeep and will be on a blue kona. Just show up at 7:30 and say hi and we can ride.

See you out there John.

Last edited:

lou_b_83

Went and it was not for me. I don't know if I took the wrong trail or if everyone that goes there has robo legs but that hill is just impassable for me. And then going down it could rival Diablo. It's like you need a dual crown hardtail. It was nor fun. I think next time I will go to chimney rock and try that.

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
Sorry to hear that Lou......we warned you :p. Youre def. not the first person who Ive heard say that they dont like the place and wont be going back. Im assuming you started from the Cushetunk lot which provides the toughest climb in my opinion. Almost everyone ends up hiking that so dont feel bad.
I think most go there to get stronger as opposed to having a day of fun.....hope your next ride goes better.

Dr Superb

Went and it was not for me. I don't know if I took the wrong trail or if everyone that goes there has robo legs but that hill is just impassable for me. And then going down it could rival Diablo. It's like you need a dual crown hardtail. It was nor fun. I think next time I will go to chimney rock and try that.

sounds like you took the right trail. the climbs there are ridiculous. there is 1 in particular that is outrageous...RV seems to be either love it or hate it...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Time to change your signature ;)

J-Dro

IMHO, RV has only 1 redeeming quality. It drains well. So when everywhere else is sloppy, RV may be rideable.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions