Sunday - 2/1/09

Robson

Sunday looks nice, what would be the good place to ride? I'm thinking Allaire but I'm not sure about conditions....I'm looking forward to test my new Jet9!:)

ellbiddy

Oooh moving up in the world! If you go to allaire and take out your new bike I'll take out my new bike and we can compare :p

Robson

Hmmm, why not, sounds like fun! What do you ride? Do you know Allaire conditions? We have to much snow up north...

ellbiddy

My only worry is that it might get crazy soggy, since it's supposed to be in the 40's so maybe if you catch it in the AM. Right now it's supposed to be icey :(

I have a near virgin superfly that's sitting home next to the fireplace ;). Need to take him out more, but if I get my Rig back before sunday I'd prefer to ride that, we'll see how it goes!

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
if it stays in the 40's it will be a mess unless you guys get there first thing....

ellbiddy

I'm going to head up to the catskills on saturday, I went out to the poconos today and that place is getting old :(. Some lady tried to steal my seat on the lift by getting behind me and almost pushed me off the edge of the lift base after yelling when I tried to sit down. All the trails are meh too, too short. I need to move to Idaho or something, the only thing keeping me here are the nice state of mountain biking, so many trails so near me. Heck I'd take VT or ME too, some nice skiing up that way.

reba17

Allaire Conditions?

A few of us from Westchester are considering heading down to Allaire Sunday but before we make the 2 hour drive........thoughts on conditions for Sunday?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
A few of us from Westchester are considering heading down to Allaire Sunday but before we make the 2 hour drive........thoughts on conditions for Sunday?

i think if you go early (while it stays frozen - temps will be cold the night before), it'll be good. its supposed to get warm sunday, so things will get sloppy fast when it starts to thaw. i think after the noon hour, conditions will be bad.

a note on current conditions from our friend FFT:

"If you are a fast rider be careful because the chance of coming up on a suprise patch of ice is almost guarenteed. If you are a rider who keeps count of how many times you fall each ride you might want to wear football pads."

reba17

i think if you go early (while it stays frozen - temps will be cold the night before), it'll be good. its supposed to get warm sunday, so things will get sloppy fast when it starts to thaw. i think after the noon hour, conditions will be bad.

a note on current conditions from our friend FFT:

"If you are a fast rider be careful because the chance of coming up on a suprise patch of ice is almost guarenteed. If you are a rider who keeps count of how many times you fall each ride you might want to wear football pads."
:hmmm: point well taken.
Thanks for the suggestion..have to see how early the group wants to get down there. Maybe have to ride the road instead and enjoy the warm temp.

LandCruiser

just posted this on the Allaire forum - Just got back from a ride at Allaire. If you don't have spiked or studded tires, bring your Luge, some of the areas resemble a Luge track. It's bad.

Sunday should be a lot warmer, but I assume it will be really messy. :mad:

Kmoodymz3

I live in Monmouth county. Not a lot of thawing today. everything that was not shoveled and is in the shade is solid ice. I suspect it will be the same at Allaire. Some dry patches, followed by ice patches that will turn to a slick mess in Sunday's thaw. If you go Sunday, go early with studded tires.

Stocky

Thinking about heading south to Allaire on Sunday as well. The reports seem to be that there is a fair amount of ice. So what if it gets muddy isn't that better than ice ?

Might just skip the trip south , "Man Up" , ride Mahlon and just pretend there's no snow on the ground.

We don't need no stinkin studs !

R

rltrock

Sun Thaw

I think the risk of thaw is over-stated as it will take a lot more than a couple of hrs at 45 degrees to mush things up. Things have been frozen cold for some time now.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
tell me why would anyone from the north be lookin south when snow riding has been at its best for like three weeks now call me crazy but I've been getting out no less than three times a week with changing snow conditions regularly. yea it might not be the fastest ride and may have to get off at some hills but man I can't remember a better winter snow riding season. psst bye the way the fitness of plowing first tracks is resistance training to the max with the added bonus of honing those balanced skills. instead of running down south try your back yard trail....RIDE ON!

reba17

tell me why would anyone from the north be lookin south when snow riding has been at its best for like three weeks now call me crazy but I've been getting out no less than three times a week with changing snow conditions regularly. yea it might not be the fastest ride and may have to get off at some hills but man I can't remember a better winter snow riding season. psst bye the way the fitness of plowing first tracks is resistance training to the max with the added bonus of honing those balanced skills. instead of running down south try your back yard trail....RIDE ON!

Hey mattybfat...glad you are enjoying the snow rides and yes they have been a blast! Conditions have been sweet in fact I just got done with a nice snowy night ride in a park right in my own back yard..... just looking for a change of pace...mix it up a bit.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts on the conditions and see ya on the trails.

Top Bottom