Sun, 6/8, 9AM, Mahlon @20mi + Bar-B-Q

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
i booked a flight for the 15th, but will probably switch it to the 16th if i can. i'm drooling for machaca right now....

a flight????? what happened to driving the Isuzu 'til it dies and continue riding from there? :D

Damnit...now I am hungry.....
5_18_07machaca.jpg

xc62701

I won't be able to get a day off in there so after work will do fine for me. Well after 3:00 is good for me.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Holy S$%t this is funny:rofl: I'm on vacation that day(and I don't go on vacations) I'll see you during the week though....

anrothar

entirely thrilled
heheheh... this is shaping up to be quite the family gathering. there will likely be a secondary official ride/meetup sometime on the 12th, 13th or 14th.

V

vtalum2001

Ok - this may be a bit off the wall kinda question but ever since i saw that picture of the eggs and rice and beans i can't stop drooling over it! so can one of you guys enlighten me and tell me where you got this from? :)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
or maybe from a san gabriel valley guide review of one of the casa del rey mexican restaurants in southern california......

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Sean,

Any thoughts on route? Or are we just running adhoc?

I only ask because it is too damn hot for a single water bottle to cut it and it is also too hot for the camelbak. If you have an idea of the route I figure I could "park strategically" with an extra water bottle or two in the car that I could swap out as we cruise by.

If not, that is fine. I'm sure the camelbak won't kill me :)

Tim

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm bumping the ride back 1/2 hour to 9:30, so that my friend aaron from brooklyn can make it out.

the route will be this one basically: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2811654

we'll be at saffins about 10-12 miles in. if you run out before then, it wouldn't be difficult to cut back over to the rv campground and refill there. that area has potable water year round.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
i'm bumping the ride back 1/2 hour to 9:30, so that my friend aaron from brooklyn can make it out.

the route will be this one basically: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2811654

we'll be at saffins about 10-12 miles in. if you run out before then, it wouldn't be difficult to cut back over to the rv campground and refill there. that area has potable water year round.

Cool. 'Just got back from a wedding in LI...I'll welcome the 1/2 push back :eek:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
so, that was an intersting ride. thanks to tim and david for showing up and hanging in there through the heat and humidity. i rode there from my parent's house 5 miles away, and actually had to take a break halfway up the weldon rd hill. the heat, humidity and previous nights asthma attacks left my legs and lungs with little power. we got in about 10.? miles in the park. at first, the rocks were still wet and slippery from the previous nights storms, but the ground was solid and fast. the rocks dried up by then end though. a short ride to be sure, but good to get out there, to ride with david again, and to finally ride with tim.

bar-b-que after was great. plenty of good food, good beer and good company.

the storms after the bar-b-que weren't so great. i ended up in the emergency room with an uncontrolable asthma attack. i got better. got home around 12:30, woke up around 5:30, and off to work.....

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Well that is a bummer to have to go to the hospital at your own party!! Hope the heat breaks soon, for your sake!

I still would be up for a ride this week before you leave, if you are feeling up for it. I bet others may want to join as well.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Jeez! I'm glad you're doing okay Sean...

It was great to finally ride with you Sean. And it was nice to meet David.

Everyone, if you didn't already know it, Mr. Grady is the king of Mahlon. Simply look away from the trail for a second and they boy is gone. And that is when it isn't terribly technical...in the techy stuff it is just plain silly. There were times I thought David and I were moving pretty well only to realize that Sean had put an unbelievable amount of real-estate between he and us in a very short amount of time. It was a bit of a mind f*** at times, actually. And this is when his asthma is bugging him...sigh...

However, in true Sean fashion, he is polite, gracious, and very helpful. He doesn't bitch about getting held up or even look at ya' funny; he encourages and shares his experience. The MTB community in NJ is loosing a great rider; the folks in AK are freakin' lucky.

I'll conquer these f'in rock gardens damnit!

The ride was a bit toasty. Flats and downhills were actually okay, but when running slow for tech sections, climbing, or tech climbs, it was freakin' brutal. Combined with my sunburn from Saturday, the slow parts were like standing in front of a blast furnace.

Oh, and I'm 4 for 4 over the last four rides for falling and borking some part of my body. At least I'm consistent :eek:

Best of luck Sean. We'll miss ya' 'round here.

Tim

Top Bottom