Suggestions for new hydraulic brakes?

Mongoose Rider

I am interested in upgrading my mechanical hydraulic brakes to a hydraulic system. Money is always a factor but I am curious what experiences everyone might have. I am a big guy so I will need something that won't fade out after a moderate downhill...

Thanks for your help

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I like my Hayes. Lots of folks really sweat the Juicys but My 9s have been great and I'd get the Stroker Trails if they needed replacing. Check around for good deals -- lots of online shops do major discounts for last year's stuff.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You can get good deals on Juicy 7's, which I have been riding for a few years and like em. The new Avid Elixir looks nice.

Can't go wrong with Maguras either and then you can say I have "maggies" on my bike.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Well, if price wasn't a factor, Formula "The Ones" can handle anything you throw at them and are still light enough for XC (they're actually a downhill brake)...you're looking at $550-ish for a set, though.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I like my Hayes. Lots of folks really sweat the Juicys but My 9s have been great and I'd get the Stroker Trails if they needed replacing. Check around for good deals -- lots of online shops do major discounts for last year's stuff.
+1 on the Hayes 9s. I saw them for as low as $77 on-line and in the back of the rags.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
i have the hayes 9's on the 29er and they are pretty good. i dont think they are that expensive.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
as ive been told before when i asked about brake upgrades, sometimes you are better off not spending big money on brakes but instead saving the extra money for an entire new bike. just some food for thought.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
as ive been told before when i asked about brake upgrades, sometimes you are better off not spending big money on brakes but instead saving the extra money for an entire new bike. just some food for thought.

This is mostly true if your bike isn't setup for disk brakes already. If you already have mechanical disks, hydros are much easier to justify.

With that said, I don't think I'd throw a set of "The Ones" on a $800 bike...

Mongoose Rider

Well I have the mechanical discs so it would only cost me ~$200 for Juicy 3's. I have heard very mixed reviews on the 3's the LBS insists that for what Allaire (My main area for biking) has to offer I won't have a problem. Anyone with personal experiences? BTW- they say the juicy 5's are like $350 for front/backs and the only difference is the handle doesn't require grip removal for installation???

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Well I have the mechanical discs so it would only cost me ~$200 for Juicy 3's. I have heard very mixed reviews on the 3's the LBS insists that for what Allaire (My main area for biking) has to offer I won't have a problem. Anyone with personal experiences? BTW- they say the juicy 5's are like $350 for front/backs and the only difference is the handle doesn't require grip removal for installation???

You can get a full set of Formula K18's for $220 from AEBike and you can get rotors/adaptors for $70. From what I hear these are probably the best value in hydros...or at least that's what MTBR will have you believe. In virtually all of the K18 (or any Formula brake) vs Avid thread, the Formulas have the most "support" over there. So if you're gonna' go $250+, you should take a close look at the K18s.

I can tell you my Formula "The Ones" are stronger w/much better feel and modulation than my Juicy Carbon...no contest.

Other than that I've only ridden BB7 mechanicals...so what do I know...

In the end, they'll all stop you.

Mongoose Rider

K18's huh??? Interesting... Very interesting....

OK Ferguson, you have peaked my interest! I have read the reviews on the OROK18's and it seams like no one was saying anythign bad. All great comments. What is the deal with the adapter? What is it for? I am a little concerned that if I buy it I will have to install it myself. Are they hard to install? Anything tricky to it?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
OK Ferguson, you have peaked my interest! I have read the reviews on the OROK18's and it seams like no one was saying anythign bad. All great comments. What is the deal with the adapter? What is it for? I am a little concerned that if I buy it I will have to install it myself. Are they hard to install? Anything tricky to it?

Thats Fogerson ;)

The adapter is what bolts to the fork/frame that you mount the caliper on (assuming you don't have a post mount fork). Avid's usually include rotors/adapters with the brake...with formula you buy them separately.

I'm a gear-head, so take that as a disclaimer. I think they're very easy to install provided you have the torx (T28?) and a 5mm hex wrench. If you need to bleed them as a result of shortening the hoses, it gets a bit more complicated.

I'm pretty sure an LBS would install them for you; dunno' how much they'd charge.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Ps...

It wouldn't hurt to ask the LBS what a set of K18s would cost, installed.

Jdog at Halter's is a good guy...a bit of a hump for you, but no farther than it is from where I live.

Last edited:

Mongoose Rider

Yeh I will try that... I can't get over the fact that out of 35 reviews, only one had something bad to say. That's incredible...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Yeh I will try that... I can't get over the fact that out of 35 reviews, only one had something bad to say. That's incredible...

Yeah, they do seem to review well.

One thing that helps is Formula customer support. They're really good. If you call there with a question, or needing anything, Chris will answer...if you post a question on the MTBR brake forum, Chris may very well answer there too.

I actually had the first warranty issue on The One's in the US (hooray for me!)...it was minor but a warranty issue none-the-less. I called up Formula and Chris expressed a new brake to me on nothing more than the promise I'd return the bad one...'didn't take my credit card # or anything...

It was clear that his total focus was to get me happy and on the trail...fabulous.

Mongoose Rider

So I think I am going to go with the K18's thanks for the tip. I spoke with the guys at Beachwood Bikes and they will charge $300 front and back installed. Not a bad deal!

Mongoose Rider

I do believe that is all inclusive. I will stop by the shop on my way to Allaire tonight for the group ride. You know I will post a review. Thanks again for your help.

Top Bottom