Suggestions for a South Jersey ride ( without snow )

Stocky

The title says it all, we're looking to make a day trip out of it .
We are coming from Morris County, we ride Mahlon all season before the snow arrives. From reports it's just to snow covered to even bother.
We're actually considering hiking our usual route next Sunday at Mahlon since it's not rideable.

So give me a spot that will give us bit of hills, a bit of technical , some logs to ride on and roll over. Give us FUN !

It takes us about 35 minutes to hit the Driscoll Bridge, so we'd consider about another 35-40 minutes south down the Parkway .

Stocky

Come on guys, the "501" crew and the rest of you South Jersey boys.

Ya got nothing for me or ya just trying to keep your favorite spot all to yourself ?

BiknBen

Come on guys, the "501" crew and the rest of you South Jersey boys.

Ya got nothing for me or ya just trying to keep your favorite spot all to yourself ?

There is nothing to tell. Allaire, Clayton, Hartshorne, and Wharton never got any snow. None! This has been pretty well documented in other threads about trail conditions.

Hartshorne is the last to drain of these. They were all fine over the weekend. I was at Allaire yesterday. I saw one puddle.

Stocky

There is nothing to tell. Allaire, Clayton, Hartshorne, and Wharton never got any snow. None! This has been pretty well documented in other threads about trail conditions.

Hartshorne is the last to drain of these. They were all fine over the weekend. I was at Allaire yesterday. I saw one puddle.

Ben, tell me of those spots which would be your choice as most fun .

I think Wharton is s bit to far south for us , i think .

MMuller

Ben speaks the truth. Allaire a wee bit further than Hartshorne but actually quicker to get to as you don't have to mess with Rte 36. It's a straight shot down the GSP.

Last edited:
C

carlk

To avoid melted snow, I rode Allaire yesterday - I don't know the name of the trail, but from the Hospital Rd entrance, I took a narrow trail that followed close to the road for a bit, then turned away from a river -it had lots up ups/downs and tight turns. I remember I could see a golf course from it.
Allaire is great fun, but not as much fun as Huber/Hartshorne (I always ride the two together).

Augieland

Any words of wisdom or specifics we should know ?

the part of grand tour from the turn off of laurel ridge to the fork where you choose between staying on grand tour or heading to the ranger base is a mess (mostly the chicanes at the bottom of the hill) and should be avoided because not only does it get worse every time some one rides it, but there is no fun left in trying to go around the crud it has spread to the edges. the rest of grand tour, and harsthorne for that matter, is great.

Stocky

I got these directions from Marty's site , will that get us there as far a the standard starting point ?

Should we be looking for a specific trail name or color to stick with ?

Hartshorne Woods Park
c/o Monmouth County Park Commission - 805 Newman Springs Road
Lincroft, NJ 07738-1695 - 732-842-1695

Location - Middletown-MonmouthCounty
Distance - 11 miles
Terrain - hilly, dirt, sand, gravel, some pavement; well-maintained, mountain-bike specific trails.
Highlights - well-marked and maintained trails; Battery Lewis historic military site, picnic and hiking areas, Navesink River. Be careful to follow park rules in dismount area; tickets will be issued if you do not abide by the minor inconvenience.
Directions - GS Parkway; exit 117. Take Rte. 36 east for 12 miles to Scenic Dr. exit. Turn right at stop sign at end of exit. Parking lot is 1/2 mile on left.

dualfisted

upper lot directions

Check the Vitamin MTBNJ-Hartshorne ride thread. Ken S (I believe) gave some super simple directions that got me right to the upper parking lot. I think it is---Rt 36E from prkwy (8-10 miles) turn right on Miller (@ a church), left @ 4 way stop, right on Grand Tour. It was the easiest way I've ever taken to get to this place. Definitely don't quote my directions though, the road mentioned in that thread is the one I took, BAM, there! Have fun, Hartshorne is a good time
EDIT!!!!--- those are the directions to upper lot. Rt 36 E, right on Miller Ave, left at 4 way stop, then bear right on Grand Tour going up the hill, at top of hill @ stop sign go right directly into parking area. Really really easy!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom