Suggest a route in SoMo

Griffo

Just moved to the area and interested in checking out what this place could have offered. For those in the know, what would have been a good route?

loggerhead

I used to go in from the arena lot going east up a fire road that is non-existant now. You'll definitely be noticed doing this now as this area is now full of traffic. Also, the millburn entrance using the lot from (not sure of street name).

Griffo

It's pretty clear what trails were designed/revamped by mountain bikers according to IMBA trail building principles. Bravo to the folks whose effort to get shared use trails was for naught.

Are advocacy efforts here dead?

Griffo

Thanks brew. I had skimmed that thread before, but read it cover to cover this time. Seems like perhaps SoMo could use a squeaky wheel to keep attention. Reviving that thread now...

goodvibe

I attended some of the meetings at the Maplewood Library with the South Mountain Conservancy when the proposal was discussed. The JORBA leaders and the Conservancy leaders saw the value in having mountain biking in SoMo, but the membership was a little disgruntled about the idea. They were more concerned about reinstating underbrush and shooting deer than sustainable trails.

You can find the trails that were built by JORBA a while ago are well built and the recent trails built in the Mayapple section were built by bulldozer.

Top Bottom