Sub Zero Repair?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Anyone know of a reasonable Sub Zero repair service? My Sub Zero freezer condenser keeps freezing up. I replaced the cracked door gasket and was hoping that would fix it, but no luck. Takes about 1 week or more for it to freeze up enough to start warming up the freezer. Of course this is an ancient built-in, from what I can find looks like it's ~1975?. Never any issues with it, it was in the house when we bought 20 years ago. Obviously with the age, don't want to spend a fortune, otherwise I'll bite the bullet a buy a new one. I can't see anything new being this reliable though.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
does it have a heater to defrost the evap (low) side?
did you clean the condenser coils (high side)? vents?

i found this - but you probably did too.

my fridge has the drain hole issue every few years. we find out when water is running across the floor.

kearneyb

I've had the same issue with an old kenmore fridge. For mine there was an electric heater on the coils to keep the coils. The heating element crapped out. About $30 piece for online knockoff.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
does it have a heater to defrost the evap (low) side?
did you clean the condenser coils (high side)? vents?

i found this - but you probably did too.

my fridge has the drain hole issue every few years. we find out when water is running across the floor.
Yep, saw this but mine is WAY older than that. It has a refrigerator condenser above the unit and a freezer condenser in the freezer.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Was just playing around with it and bumped the heater timer and it started to make noise like it's moving again. Maybe just the timer is worn out? Here's hoping.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Looks like the heater termination sensor bad also. eBay to the rescue with both parts for <$90.

I now know way more about refrigerator repair than I want, and also that these old Sub Zeros are built to last and very simple designs.

Dingo

Looks like the heater termination sensor bad also. eBay to the rescue with both parts for <$90.

I now know way more about refrigerator repair than I want, and also that these old Sub Zeros are built to last and very simple designs.
Get your u-tube certified appliance patch from Pat :)

Did you get the re-power blower job done?

Top Bottom