Stupid question Magura MT7 pads

Zudnik

Have about 1K on my pads and I think they're in bad shape. This is a stupid question but do folks remove the caliper when swapping pads? Looks like on the MT7 that it's two bolts on each caliper and then take out 4 pads and simply line up the new pads. Or am I missing something like pistons coming out? Obviously from my question I've never done this before.

ebarker9

They're designed to be replaced without needing to remove the calipers. Depending on how worn the existing pads are you may need to gently press the pistons in a bit so that the new pads clear the rotor. If you need to press the pistons in, do it with something non-metallic like a plastic tire lever. I'd probably remove the wheel to get the rotor out of the way but you can also do it with the wheel still installed. The pads are pretty easy to remove and install...just make sure not to touch the rotor or face of the pads with anything greasy, including your fingers.

Zudnik

They're designed to be replaced without needing to remove the calipers. Depending on how worn the existing pads are you may need to gently press the pistons in a bit so that the new pads clear the rotor. If you need to press the pistons in, do it with something non-metallic like a plastic tire lever. I'd probably remove the wheel to get the rotor out of the way but you can also do it with the wheel still installed. The pads are pretty easy to remove and install...just make sure not to touch the rotor or face of the pads with anything greasy, including your fingers.
They showed up today and it was amazingly easy. Was shocked how much of the existing pads was still left though. They had about 1,000 miles on them but yep when I checked the new ones, after seating them in, the new ones made a huge difference. Thanks!

Top Bottom