Stupid Garmin Question RE: HRM

Dr Superb

I'm pretty sure this question has a self explanatory answer, but w/e...

So, my wife registered us for a spin class near our house, and i'd like to use my garmin 705 just for the HRM feature. Will this feature still work given that it will be indoors, and likely not find any coordinates, etc?

TIA

Last edited:

ChrisRU

Yes. Many of us use our garmins when on a trainer/rollers/spin class. The 800 has the option to turn GPS off, the 705 might also. If not, give it a few minutes to boot up, it may or may not be able to locate satelites, if it doesn't it will just give you a gps error but continue to work fine otherwise, allowing you to watch your HRM and any heart rate data you might want to look at.

Dr Superb

Yes. Many of us use our garmins when on a trainer/rollers/spin class. The 800 has the option to turn GPS off, the 705 might also. If not, give it a few minutes to boot up, it may or may not be able to locate satelites, if it doesn't it will just give you a gps error but continue to work fine otherwise, allowing you to watch your HRM and any heart rate data you might want to look at.

Thanks. Now that you bring that up, i think i remember seeing this option.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can also press "start" while it's still looking for satellite. That will start recording. At least on the 705 it does.

I think when you upload to Garmin Connect, there is an option to upload as a trainer ride and it will just not display the map, but sometimes it's fun to look at the squiggly lines.

freeride

I use mostly a foreunner 405 but need a replacement hrm strap as i lost one and the other the battery coroded and its busted.

i load files in nearly every day for my gym work outs today i did weights, then rowing machine then swam.

on rowing machines some do connect to a garmin ant device be the concept 2 needs to have the pm4 console,

the spin machines should have these consoles, as i for one would be more likely to do spin class if i could see the results on connect.

so my half hour of rowing today was 323 calories, the other day did 400 calories for half hr. i manually edit the gps files and upload them to connect

i have a cheap polar f60. i could use that and manually type in the data

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/140585744

Top Bottom