Studded tires...'tis da season

Kaleidopete

So I've been running studded tires every winter for five years now. Two fat bikes.
Studded Dillinger 4's and five on one and Bud & Lou with gripstuds on the other.
In these five years with hundreds of miles ridden, I've only lost about 4 or 5 studs.
Now the bad news, I got a new bike with 2.8 tires, so I bought studded Terrene Cake Eaters.
The tires ride and grip great! I only have a few rides on them though. The problem is my first
ride was 8 miles, my second ride was 7 miles. Came back to find out I'd lost 9 studs and I also
found 4 just about falling out. I fixed the loose ones and installed new ones where needed. I
also put a good glue on my new installs hoping they will hold better. Today I did another 7
mile ride and when I came back I found I had lost 6 more studs! Now I'm riding the same
conditions I've always ridden with my studded fat bikes. Disappointing problem with these
new tires. I'm running 15 psi on these 2.8 tires, tubed. My fatties run lower at maybe 8 or 10 psi.
I don't think that would matter though. I'm just putting this out there for those that might want
to stud up this winter.

It's good to hear real feedback about these tires--there's a ton of information about people buying them, not so much about using them.

Most studded tire manufacturers recommend you ride them a few miles on pavement first to settle the studs. I'm sure you're aware, but a possibility if you forgot to do it.

Last edited:
It's good to hear real feedback about these tires--there's a tone of information about people buying them, not so much about using them.

Most studded tire manufacturers recommend you ride them a few miles on pavement first to settle the studs. I'm sure you're aware, but a possibility if you forgot to do it.
I did get the few miles in on pavement, I didn't know that rule, it just is how I rode.

Might have missed it, but were they the fronts or rear? Could it be related to pedal assist?

fwiw, i've got these schwalbe studded tires for my 26" commuter...i've ridden them for two winters now (swapping them on and off thanks to building a second wheelset - thanks @qcalbrat!) but i have yet to lose one stud.

i've been looking at a second wheelset for my fatbike, and am thinking of potentially a studded Dillinger set

^ this.

Pete, highly unusual to lose that many studs. Unless you’re riding a lot of exposed rocks? I hear Wawayanda has a lot of them. ;)

Got the Arisuns in today. They were lightly used with wheels which were way undersized at 20mm. Still they measured at 2.6, which isn't bad for a 2.8 tire on a narrow rim. But it was a very round profile. Move one to a Dually rim and was able to get the full 2.8 and a much nicer profile for how I ride. Supposed to have 220 studs, which is less than the Suomi Extremes I also ordered. Will give these a try at RV this weekend.
IMG_20190123_221954.jpg

To update, I have another 35 miles on the tires and I guess things settled in.
I have only lost one more stud in these miles. I think they are all happy now
and cooperating.
What are you replacing them with. I was thinking to add some grip studs for every other just on the outside row just in case. Is mixing studs on the outside a bad idea?

I replace them with just what was there in the first place, but I put a good glue on the replacements first.
I think mixing them up would be OK too, everything kind of moves around anyway.

I replace them with just what was there in the first place, but I put a good glue on the replacements first.
I think mixing them up would be OK too, everything kind of moves around anyway.
hmm glue, is that a secret glue or can you share which type?

Bringing this back up with the cold temps.

Thoughts on using 29+ or 29 (both studded) for these conditions? Like fat snow tires, I put them on and end up riding them once or twice each season before it warms up again. I've been having better luck with 2.2 Nokians the past few years but the plus tire roll nicer but don't bite as well.

Back
Top Bottom