Studded Tires -- Question

R

rltrock

After riding last weekend in RW on snow and ice for the first time (which was an absolute blast), I am thinking about studded tires (slammed my arm on an ice sheet and want to avoid doing that again).

I was thinking of mounting them now and keeping them on through end Feb/early March. My question is, how do studded tires do on cold ground once the snow/ice melts? Would I be at a real disadvantage relative to my normal tires? (I am probably not willing to buy a set of wheels to make the quick swap).

Tx

BiknBen

I was thinking of mounting them now and keeping them on through end Feb/early March. My question is, how do studded tires do on cold ground once the snow/ice melts? Would I be at a real disadvantage relative to my normal tires? (I am probably not willing to buy a set of wheels to make the quick swap).

Commercial studded tires tend to be very thick, inflexible, and heavy. Probably not a great tire to ride in non-snow conditions.

Studded tires have very limited use even when there is snow on the ground. They are best in light snow or hard-packed snow. Fresh snow more than 4-5 inches begins to feel like sand and you can't get anywhere.

Before going to studded tires, I suggest dropping the pressure of your regular tires and using caution. A wider tire will float on top of the snow rather than sink into it.

If you have cash to burn and an extra wheelset, then studded tires may be a worthwhile purchase.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
I have a set of Nokian extremes and if they contact any bare rock at an angle I can expect to lose a few studs. The compound is soft and so they pull out easy. I only use these when they is a solid snow base with a layer of ice on top.

R

rltrock

Gotcha

So you swap out both wheels each time the conditions call for it?

I am thinking about getting one Nokian Extreme and putting it on a spare front wheel. Easy swap if conditions call for it and I think I should get 70% of the benefit of having both.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Commercial studded tires tend to be very thick, inflexible, and heavy. Probably not a great tire to ride in non-snow conditions...

+1

I have the Innova tires and they are very heavy and super stiff. Two weeks ago at 6 mile I even ran them down @ ~10-15psi to try to stop them from breaking through the snow crust and it almost felt like they were still fully inflated. :D

That said, I ran them for most of last winter even when the ground was not icy and didn't lose many studs (too lazy to change them). There is a 30 mile road riding conditioning step that is recommended before you use them off-road that is supposed to limit lost studs.

Tim

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
The innovas ROCK! I went up to the Nokians due to 29 sizing and they are badass as well.Break both in on smooth dirt or road before going out on uneven terrain, it will save on stud loss.Its probably best to not run them in a total no snow/ice just frozen ground situation and if u only get 1 put it on the front.............

BiknBen

Get Two tires or none at all.

Sure a front studded tire will provide better steering and stopping control...but if you don't have grip to move forward you are not going to get very far.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Get Two tires or none at all.

Sure a front studded tire will provide better steering and stopping control...but if you don't have grip to move forward you are not going to get very far.

Some of these sissies cant handle the Nokian$$$ so i recomend just the front so they get on the ice and then realize they cant get off on top of the fact they are clipped in.It provides me w some great entertainment! Thanx for ruining it for me bro..........:D

F

frankinnj

After riding last weekend in RW on snow and ice for the first time (which was an absolute blast), I am thinking about studded tires (slammed my arm on an ice sheet and want to avoid doing that again).

Tx

I snow tires really are for ice, in the group I ride with I am the only one who uses studs in the winter and the only advantage I have is if we are riding over ice. As far as how they fair once the snow and ice melt, they are okay as far as gripping, but when going over wet rocks they are going to slip more than a regular tire. They are worth it to me cuz I ride alot in the winter and I don't have to worry about ice. If you use them keep the psi low, especially in the front tire cuz I find them to be much bumpier.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
snow tires really are for ice, in the group I ride with I am the only one who uses studs in the winter and the only advantage I have is if we are riding over ice. As far as how they fair once the snow and ice melt, they are okay as far as gripping, but when going over wet rocks they are going to slip more than a regular tire. They are worth it to me cuz I ride alot in the winter and I don't have to worry about ice. If you use them keep the psi low, especially in the front tire cuz I find them to be much bumpier.

This is a good description. I have been riding Ringwood for weeks with studs. The studs excel on ice, but are not so good on non snow/ice, so if you have light snow with ice they are perfect. They also can slip on bare rock. If you abuse them by riding rock and lose studs, they can be re-studded at Campmor. As of yesterday, snow up at Ringwood is almost gone, but there is plenty of ice. After this rain, who knows how it will be.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
After this rain, who knows how it will be.
dollars to donuts r.w. will be icey and muddy, come this week-end

as for the tires, i am running 2.4" contis (bought from campmor), but saw some sweet 2.6" tires last week-end at l.b.s.

back in the day, folks put "chains" on car tires in the winter, maybe this could work for bikes too!

R

rltrock

Decision

So I decided to go with a spare front wheel with Schwalbe Ice Spiker tire. I don't want to spend the money on another full wheel set, am too lazy to keep changing the tires, and don't want to compromise my ride on non-ice/snow days.

If things work out well, may step up for the back wheel next year.

R

rltrock

Ouch!

Did not realize they were that expensive -- sawl online for appx. $100, but just called in to my LBS to get it so don't know what they will charge me.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yep, they are that expensive. i know i didn't pay $300 (i'm special) but it was every bit of $250. i put three rides on 'em last year. expensive riding.

Before going to studded tires, I suggest dropping the pressure of your regular tires and using caution. A wider tire will float on top of the snow rather than sink into it.

I'll second that... If you've got fat tubeless tires on 29er rims, even better....I have had great success running my tubeless Rampages on snow (and ice) at low pressure... Half the fun is trying to maintain grip... I think studs would take (some of) the fun out of it...unless you really have to get somewhere and can afford to fool around....

Peace,
BB

syadasti

Wet Rag
Homemade studded tires work - just need an old tire, bunch of screws, time, and some duct tape. A lot cheaper and just as effective (wasn't possible to lose traction on this frozen lake)

icebike.jpg

Top Bottom