Stream crossing by S Middlebush

rlb

How do you get across during the colder months? Or do you not? It's starting to get a little too cool for my liking to ride w/ wet feet

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
When I was riding with Jdog last week he showed me a thing that works pretty good. Roll down the bank with a little speed and just unclip both feet and hold them up. It works pretty good if you get the speed right. I still end up getting my feet wet about half the time so I'll be purchasing a pair of new waterproof winter shoes.

-Jim.

Crossing

...and pray for that perfect tree to fall across the stream, so we can build a nice bridge... Except for that crossing, SixMile is perfect for Winter.

We need the MTBNJ's brightest minds on this... there's got to be a practical, simple way across that bloody stream without over-engineering...:hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We need the MTBNJ's brightest minds on this... there's got to be a practical, simple way across that bloody stream without over-engineering...:hmmm:

Ride all the way around to the stream, then turn around and do it all over again. Gives you more mileage anyway!

Failing that...perhaps if we built a large wooden badger.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
my vote for the stream crossing at six mile is a zorb ball. or maybe a catapult.

walter

Fourth Party
See if you guys had one of those cool Ergon bags you would be able to do what I do and thats stow my magic carpet in my bag. I bust it out at every stream crossing.

J-Dro

I'm thinking of setting up a ferry service at the stream crossing on weekends. On cold days, I bet people would gladly fork over $10 per person to avoid wet feet. :D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have seen 10+ feet of very fast moving water at this spot after some serious rain.

I saw s middlebush flood over and close down after some heavy rain a few weeks back.

Basically mother nature is a badass and this is a flood plain.

I cross with dry feet every time. Figure it out.

j

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
just bring plastic bags to cover your feet.

Gore tex socks ( I use thin wool, GoreTex socks, thin thick wool or polar fleece as a top) I ride most of the winter with this combo. Had to use over booties a couple of times. Same socks GT for years and years.

vlkslvr

Rode Today (11/2) and the river wasn't too bad, just at the tops of the rocks. Water was cold though and the feet got wet.

Definitely don't see a really viable way to ride both sides without crossing the river at least once (did take the easy way out and skirt onto the rode to miss the other crossing)

rlb

Good thing it was pretty warm on Saturday or I would have been a bit cold. Until I nail it w/o getting wet I guess I'll do the alexk route, I've got nothing against riding longer :D

Glancing Aft

You guys, are going about this all wrong. Don't build something that will get flooded out over the stream, don't ride all the way around. Instead tunnel and go underneath! :D I couldn't possibly imagine something going wrong.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions