strava now using mapbox open street map instead of google maps.

FitmanNJ

Hmf, someone got ambitious. Wonder who it is. I should open up the OSM java project at home and see who's been editing around NJ. It's actually remarkably complete already.
Chimney Rock is done.
ws5yX2K.png
Thanks for noticing. There have been others, but I've done most of the parks in North and Central Jersey (as far south as Allaire). I can only trace the trails that I've done, so some venues are more complete than others. It would be great to have others contribute content and correct the current maps when changes are implemented, too, although this is sometimes difficult as you're limited by the accuracy of the GPS tracks that you capture during the rides (+/- 15 to 20 feet). It's often hard to distinguish minor trail changes from apparent differences due to inaccuracy. Big changes are pretty obvious, though.

Dingo

I loaded Strava on a droid. First time user. Cannot make any sense of how to use it. All the utube vids and online help show a different version. Those have a 'button' screen across the bottom. I did one ride last Monday, it was still going yesterday 64hours. Could not stop, it pause, it delete it, just kept going even after closing all the apps. Had another Strava user look at it, he said "it's not like mine" He could not turn it off. Got home and it showed 2 miles as the crows fly. Finally gave up and deleted the steaming pileoshit. WTF

jumpa

Same. Using strava in my phone when I noticed the update. Decided to just not strava that day.

rlb

The new version out like 2 weeks ago is really confusing.

Agreed, didn't even try to playw/ it while recording a ride because I didn't want to mess up my July results. Might try to figure out WTF now.

cool story bro

but i cant see if theres a quickchek on the corner of my ride or not

So plan your rides on ridewithgps.com or mapmyride.com
Not sure what the use is of planning rides on strava anyway. I one loaded a route at the start of a ride and it didn't even do anything.

Dingo

Has anyone tried the 'new version' that can offer help other than it's confusing, or is there a way to download the old.

wonderturtle

Don't like the change either. The old one you could switch easily between stats and the map while u ride. Now not sure how to do it (whether it does at all?). Also it has cut out a few miles on some rides... No idea why,

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Agreed, didn't even try to playw/ it while recording a ride because I didn't want to mess up my July results. Might try to figure out WTF now.

So plan your rides on ridewithgps.com or mapmyride.com
Not sure what the use is of planning rides on strava anyway. I one loaded a route at the start of a ride and it didn't even do anything.
I prefer garmin connect over strava to create routes although the strava one has gotten better. They both will route you on popular roads/trails based on useage. Strava is nice because you can show segments, which typically indicates good roads in the area and is especially useful for finding climbs and seeing how big those climbs are. I recent used the strava one this way to find some excellent new climbs on the pa side of the River north of where I usually go.

rick81721

Lothar
I've never tried garmin connect or strava to create routes - always ridewithgps. Will have to try a strava route

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i've taken some screen shots - i'll put up what i've learned.
basically, middle button on the bottom bar - then hit play(well record, but it looks like play)
if you have autopause set, it will stop and show you the map.
choice to finish will be displayed (button with flag)
that goes to the old save screen.
if you start moving again, it goes back to dashboard - bright white with some black numbers for speed, avg speed, time (i think)
white background. brilliant - guess they are trying to save toner....

Dingo

Can anyone recommend a droid app that will record route, speed, miles, and such. I don't have a need to strava my slow ass rides, just want to know the basics and see the route on a gps. Cannot be that hard.

Patrick

Staff member
mapmyride
gpsmap

Can anyone recommend a droid app that will record route, speed, miles, and such. I don't have a need to strava my slow ass rides, just want to know the basics and see the route on a gps. Cannot be that hard.

Patrick

Staff member
Thanks will give that a try.

i'd recommend using strava, and look at how you do over the same segments - ignore the comparison to others.
Have suggested that people should be able to make that the default..

MMR (map my ride) has the same type of stuff.
gpsmap has more stuff for hiking (marking waypoints, returning, better compass, and a few others.)

Last edited:
Reactions: rlb

rlb

i'd recommend using strava, and look at how you do over the same segments - ignore the comparison to others.
Have suggested that people should be able to make that the default..

This is what I do mostly, I just like to see where I stack up against myself on the stuff Inride the most. Itst also nice to compare my own effort from a year ago on a seldom ridden road etc.

Top Bottom