Strava in the news

w_b

when I can't ride I usually don't log in. FOMO just like they said. I also don't pay for it either.

but I do find it useful; not sure if summit would be more useful...

rmap01

From a finance side (sell your soul to the devil) I see the selling of information to cities being sorta useful. The heat maps is great for cities for planning, but would most likely be only for a handful of more progressive cities that actual want to promote cycling in town vs shut it out.

Problem is they give that shit out for free. So why pay for it? Can’t be a ton of value there anyway.

User data - such a niche market that they have data on, and Facebook and google probably dominates in sales.

So there’s “some” monetary value there but not a whole lot. Where do you go next? Your user base! Get the cycling obsessed to pay for the privilege to use the app. Cool, but again, you gave it away for free - why pay? I did for a bit, purely out of that “I like it so I support it”, that put your money where your mouth is. That gets old, and I have subscription fatigue. So I cancelled. That’s not sustainable. Guilt only goes so far and is not an investment option, unless you are the Catholic Church.

They can sell hats and jerseys, but again, not a good return. Team up with Zwift? Sure, get erased after a while if your branding isn’t as strong.

I see going out as the option unless keeping the lights on is real cheap.

Just my 2 cents but if it were me I’d go to Garmin, Apple or Google (the activity analysis for the latter two sucks. Garmin Connect’s is better but failed miserably trying to duplicate Strava’s segments). Sell to one of these guys. Give your users a free subscription if they have/buy your device. Everyone else would need to pay. All this assumes they increase usability and functionality so that people are willing to pay. Somebody will eventually figure out how to monetize this. Remember Facebook had the same issue... huge user base but no ROI. But they figured it out.

rmap01

when I can't ride I usually don't log in. FOMO just like they said. I also don't pay for it either.

but I do find it useful; not sure if summit would be more useful...
FWIW I do pay as I have a Summit account. But I’m also a bit of a sports data geek.

Reactions: w_b

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree with Norm's post here. I used to scroll through Strava all the time back in the day, like scrolling through IG or FB. These days it sucks, especially whenever they came out with the whole shit where the rides aren't even in order and it became more like a FB feed. And mostly because Norm never likes my rides. These days I'll upload a ride and scroll for 5 seconds to like a handful of rides, primarily from the people I just rode with, then not touch Strava again until my next ride a few months later.:) It would suck to lose it as I have recorded just about every ride ever on there and it's fun to look at old rides, pictures, and totals through the years. Not much of it is on Garmin's site, and I don't think Wahoo has anything similar online, though the rides do seem to save in the app.

I would love if it was picked up by Wahoo, or even Zwift if they wanted to get some more integration. I don't see FB, Apple, or Google jumping on something like this as I don't see how they would make it profitable. At least with one of the other two, they could use it as advertising or offer some benefits if you use their product. I have never paid for Strava, though I had their trial back before they split it up into those three segments they charge for now.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
What IP (intellectual property) does strava own? It would seem very little.

Their value is the amount of data they have/are collecting and the number of touches.
The free heatmap is the tip if the iceburg from a city planning perspective.

FWIW I do pay as I have a Summit account. But I’m also a bit of a sports data geek.

Do you use VeloViewer?

gpTron

They should give you an option to turn off segments if it isn't already buried somewhere in the app. Someone commented that sometimes they don't want to session stuff because it'll mess up their time. I'm new and slow so I go back over sections multiple times in a row until I feel better about how I cleared it and then laugh when my segment time is 10 minutes slower than the person "ahead" of me.

rick81721

Lothar
Strava art. This used to be a fun part of biyf

Screenshot-2020-12-08-at-13.18.08-e1607429935306.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cy...-another-amazing-christmas-drawing-485228/amp

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
The only reason I like Strava is because it always registers my average pace .6 mph faster than my Wahoo device. It’s definitely more accurate. 🤣 That and the funny tittles people come up with.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The only reason I like Strava is because it always registers my average pace .6 mph faster than my Wahoo device. It’s definitely more accurate. 🤣 That and the funny tittles people come up with.

strava ignores stopped time when it calculates your pace, garmin and (i assume) wahoo have the option to do the calcs off moving time or total time, mine is set to total time.

rick81721

Lothar
strava ignores stopped time when it calculates your pace, garmin and (i assume) wahoo have the option to do the calcs off moving time or total time, mine is set to total time.

Yeah strava never gives you a faster moving average - almost always slower than the moving average on the device.

Top Bottom