Storing bikes...racks

ellbiddy

I'm redoing my basement layout (putting in a home theater) and a room opened up to turn into my workshop. I have a lot of bikes and need some way of organizing them. I thought about a rear wheel holder, but a lot of them seem to rub various stuff...spokes, RD, discs, etc. I'm not sure about hanging them up either...lots of scuffing on the walls. Was looking for ideas/pictures for setups in the 5-10 bike range. My ideal setup would be something like a "good" rear wheel holder where I can just line them up in a row. Closest thing I found was:

http://www.amazon.com/WILLWORX-Will...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267045212&sr=8-15

But it needs to be 29er compatible too. As well as room for wide tires (2.5's)

BiknBen

No need to make this expensive or a big deal. Hooks and wood from Home Depot.
Hooks about 12" apart. Alternate bikes so they fit closer together.
CIMG7153Small.jpg

CIMG7155Small.jpg

If you want to make it look nice:
ellbiddy.jpg

Put the hooks into a 2x4 about 12" apart. Then attach the 2x4 to the ceiling.
Put a piece of molding on the wall where the wheel will hit the wall. It will look like a chair rail.

Deezul

I nabbed this http://www.amazon.com/Racor-PLB-2R-...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267050683&sr=1-1 off someone on here that was selling it awhile ago.

It is much more stable than I expected (It just leans on the wall) but I have never even had it come close to falling, or looking the slightest bit precarious. And it turns into my living room centerpiece (not many places to throw 2 bikes in a 1 bedroom apartment).

I've used it as a makeshift repair stand, I was able to bleed brakes and really crank down on the bikes without an issue.

BShow

I used a 2x4 with hooks on the ceiling to hang my stuff inside. Screwed the 2x4 into every stud along the length of it. It doesnt look great, but you could paint it to match the room pretty easily. If you're worried about scuffing the wall, I think the "chair rail" idea is pretty good - although with different wheelbases, you might not hit the rail with every bike.

RNG1

Just put the hooks up, however let me know if you want some advice or need equipment for the home theater. FYI it is my business so I can hook u up.:)

seredyns

I'm redoing my basement layout (putting in a home theater) and a room opened up to turn into my workshop. I have a lot of bikes and need some way of organizing them. I thought about a rear wheel holder, but a lot of them seem to rub various stuff...spokes, RD, discs, etc. I'm not sure about hanging them up either...lots of scuffing on the walls. Was looking for ideas/pictures for setups in the 5-10 bike range. My ideal setup would be something like a "good" rear wheel holder where I can just line them up in a row. Closest thing I found was:

http://www.amazon.com/WILLWORX-Will...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267045212&sr=8-15

But it needs to be 29er compatible too. As well as room for wide tires (2.5's)

I actually just purchased one of these about a month ago. It is very sturdy and works with a variety of bikes. It works fine with my 29er and Rampage 2.35 tires although it is a tight fit. If you push the bike into it firmly it will get stuck so that you need to hold the stand and pull the bike out. I'm not sure that 2.5's will fit. I can see it being a pain if you had several lined up next to each other and then try to pull the middle bike out. You would have to reach to the back to hold the stand or drag it forward with the bike.

Top Bottom