Stop Rust

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I recently found a sweet steel shogun that will become my commuter bike. It has some rust on the bottom of the driveside chainstay. Spencer mentioned he has covered rust like that with the stick-on chainstay protectors and that sounds like a good idea. I was also thinking of doing a tube wrap.

Is there anything I can do to help slow down the rust as I know you can't get rid of it? Scrub with WD-40? Rust stopping paint? Any suggestions would help.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I recently found a sweet steel shogun that will become my commuter bike. It has some rust on the bottom of the driveside chainstay. Spencer mentioned he has covered rust like that with the stick-on chainstay protectors and that sounds like a good idea. I was also thinking of doing a tube wrap.

Is there anything I can do to help slow down the rust as I know you can't get rid of it? Scrub with WD-40? Rust stopping paint? Any suggestions would help.

Sand it off, prime and paint it. Or, in lieu of sanding, you could use Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver -- http://www.shop.com/+-a-navel+jelly+rust-p131945775-g3-k48-st.shtml

That is a more expensive alternative, though.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
for a job that small i'd probably just sand and paint it. if it's just surface rust no big deal.

clutch

Sand it off, prime and paint it. Or, in lieu of sanding, you could use Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver -- http://www.shop.com/+-a-navel+jelly+rust-p131945775-g3-k48-st.shtml

That is a more expensive alternative, though.

do you really think he'll need 6 containers?

Maybe one would be enough:
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/duro-naval-jelly-rust-dissolver-p-3081.html?ref=42
If you call a couple of local hardware stores one will probably have it.

Any strong acid will dissolve the rust. Naval jelly is just phosphoric acid with some added jell to keep it in place.

Ian F

Ah... POR-15... do I know thee well... :rolleyes:

Covering up the rust w/o treating it will make it worse and just sanding it is unlikely to get all of it despite appearances (tends to go deep into the metal).

POR-15 does sell a $20 "starter" kit that should be more than enough for a bike frame:

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=SSK&dept=11

Also, the standard POR-15 paint is UV-sensitive, so it needs a top-coat of some kind as well.

Lastly, POR-15 is based here in good 'ole New Jersey not far off Rt 10 near I-287. Whenever I need something, I just shoot up there during my lunch hour.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ah... POR-15... do I know thee well... :rolleyes:

Covering up the rust w/o treating it will make it worse and just sanding it is unlikely to get all of it despite appearances (tends to go deep into the metal).

POR-15 does sell a $20 "starter" kit that should be more than enough for a bike frame:

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=SSK&dept=11

Also, the standard POR-15 paint is UV-sensitive, so it needs a top-coat of some kind as well.

Lastly, POR-15 is based here in good 'ole New Jersey not far off Rt 10 near I-287. Whenever I need something, I just shoot up there during my lunch hour.

Thanks for the info, looks this is a good option....

mfennell

POR-15 amazing stuff. I painted a kit car frame with it and it's 90% as tough as powdercoat.

I just painted the chainstay on my steel cross bike. Rather than topcoat it, I'm just covering the POR-15 with 3M clear tape I have left over from a car project.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
POR-15 amazing stuff. I painted a kit car frame with it and it's 90% as tough as powdercoat.

I just painted the chainstay on my steel cross bike. Rather than topcoat it, I'm just covering the POR-15 with 3M clear tape I have left over from a car project.

I have some on order, any tips on applying it?

don

It sure is. I used it years ago when I put new floors in a rotted Volvo 244. The part where POR-15 said to use gloves it so true - I got some on my hands and it took a week to get off.

That Volvo ended up getting totalled a week after I put the new floors in (figures) and I left it at my parents house for a few months. I remember looking underneath it before it was to go to the junkyard - it looked like the day I finished it up underneath. And this is from it sitting for a winter in MA.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I got some rustmorde. It's like por but you have to rinse off the excess after it sets up then paint over it.It was still $85 a gal.Anyway if anybody up north needs just a little let me know and you can take a little in a squirt bottle.

mfennell

I have some on order, any tips on applying it?
As mentioned, use gloves!

Follow the prep directions and you'll be happy. I've had good luck using disposable foram brushes. Make sure you use saran wrap between the can and the lid before tapping it down or you will never get it off again.

Not So Fast

Ed-u-ma-cated

Wow, the things you can learn by visiting this site is amazing. My neighbor gave me some steel stair rails. Now, I can stripe the paint and off with the rust. Right on...

Ian F

As mentioned, use gloves!

Follow the prep directions and you'll be happy. I've had good luck using disposable foram brushes. Make sure you use saran wrap between the can and the lid before tapping it down or you will never get it off again.

+1 :)

And don't skimp on the prep! We get foam brushes from a craft store (Micheal's or Joann Fabric).

If doing the paint-work indoors, be sure to lay down newspaper. We have some stains on the garage floor from 4 years ago that look like they wre put there yesterday...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I got the por 15 starter kit and applied it the other day. I have some before and after pics. The rust really was not that bad, I just want to do this frame justice. This collor is pretty damn close to accents colors on this bike. My tape and prep job was a tad sloppy and i got some not so clean lines. The non-drive dropo out came out the best. The blue color of this bike is awesome so I didn't want top paint the whole chainstays....

Attachments

• IMG_2954.JPG
    IMG_2954.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2953.JPG
    IMG_2953.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2961.JPG
    IMG_2961.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 88

The Kalmyk

Holy Shizzle that turned out nice Kevin:eek:...So glad your lovin that thing...You should post up a pic of the whole bike she has some killer looks...All I can say is WOW

Top Bottom