Stolen Bike - Monmouth County

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Awesome! Interested to hear how that confrontation went. I bet it was a different guy riding it than who stole it. Maybe it was quickly and quietly sold?
If you gave someone a couple hundred bucks for a bike, would you so easily let it go to another stranger who said it was stolen? I'd love to hear more about the confrontation too. 😯

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is an epidemic in North Jersey for every town in proximity of 280, the Turnpike, Pkwy, or trains to Newark. Lock your cars, garages, and don't leave the keys inside. The local PD doesn't even bother arresting these guys unless they're caught with weapons otherwise the holding cells would be packed, and these guys don't show up for warrants or court dates anyway. This is coming from the horses mouth.

You are inadvertently misconstruing the message: YES, they are getting arrested for possessing a stolen car. NO, they are not being held without bail and lodged (unless there are weapons charges as well). They are released on a summons. It's not the local PD choosing to do this; it's a requirement of bail reform passed by the legislation under Christie.

There are times when even a weapons charge results in a release on a summons, as well.

don

Highly doubtful that the guy riding it was the one who stole it out of your garage. But certainly would've been nice to ask him where he found it, or if he bought it and from whom.

This is pure speculation but I think it may have been the same person.

Talking with the town police, my dad (who was on the force for many years), a riding friend that is on the force, and the posts from you guys they kept saying it was targeted.

Recounting things that have happened that last couple of week I had a delivery last week (a couple wheels for the Ram so good size boxes) that had a FedEx driver and a trainee in my driveway for a long while I was in the garage working and went out after a few moments to see what was up and I could see the main driver giving instruction to the trainee. They were nice and brought the 2 good size boxes to the front of my garage (although I didn't ask them to). The main driver was fine but I had a weird vibe from the trainee - I felt he was looking over my shoulder into my garage where of course from that angle would be the perfect view point of the Bronson on the Park stand. My street is a dead end with a handful of houses. And my garage is set back pretty far and hard to see what is inside from even the middle of the driveway. Landscaping and cars blocking the view.

This bike isn't highly viewable. It's transported in the back of my truck with only a grip poking out the back for quick trips to Huber or Hartshorne. TBH - I do more hiking and TM at Huber/Hart than ride this bike there haha.

Add to that my DJ bike was by my side door so if someone wanted a quick grab that would have been a lot easier (although still not visible from the road).

So if he was dumb enough to go ride it at Allaire (like I said to someone on IG - like riding a stolen Harley to a Hell's Angels bar) he might be the stupid enough to steal something he saw while be a trainee for FedEx. But this is purely speculation.

don

Glad to hear.

Luckily the guy who ended up with bike at Allaire was dumb enough to ride a stolen bike in the most popular mtb trail system in NJ days after mtbing social media sites were buzzing about your bike.

That's awesome that everyday confronted the dude, that takes more ballz then people think.

I think the thief is/was just a dumb kid. Add that to the power of social media and our community with so many eyes out there.

But even with all that to confront the guy is fucking hard core!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
BE729C25-BE8B-4340-8369-E37F7AE82D3D.gif
But even with all that to confront the guy is fucking hard core!
Oh I would have been all like…

Mtbdog

Is there any way the perp could have been arrested? Like a citizen arrest? Could it have led to more stolen property.
How did everyday not kill this clown? Kudos for restraint!
Great outcome!

Reactions: don

MMuller

Apparently, you haven't spent much time in West Long Branch.

This isn't a pairing I've ever encountered.
Or Shark River Hills (Neptune). Terrible to hear and hoping for a post about it being recovered. Edit after reading entire thread. Yay! And of course it was some Allaire thug that swiped it. Low life sand feeders.

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

Or Shark River Hills (Neptune). Terrible to hear and hoping for a post about it being recovered. Edit after reading entire thread. Yay! And of course it was some Allaire thug that swiped it. Low life sand feeders.

Not like the rest of the state, amiright!?

don

I'm going to have to call you out on this. You DRIVE to Hubershorne from RUMSON? Does it save 2 minutes or 3? 🤣

Seriously, best news I've heard in a while.

haha - I love the term Hubershorne!

But here are my reasons:
1 - I'm slow so it's a lot more than 2-3 minutes haha
2 - You know the car drivers in our area - sketchy as hell especially over the Oceanic Bridge
3 - I've always driven to the trailhead in case of a crash/mechanical
4 - for the TM work I do it's a lot easier to carry shovels, rakes and wheelbarrows in the truck vs on bike ;) (although truth be told in my perfect world I would have trails right out my door and have a trailer setup to bring tools in and out)

Yes - and I'm still fired up from the outcome!

Karate Monkey

4 - for the TM work I do it's a lot easier to carry shovels, rakes and wheelbarrows in the truck vs on bike ;) (although truth be told in my perfect world I would have trails right out my door and have a trailer setup to bring tools in and out)
Deffo not permanently, but you can borrow my Burley to see just how much it sucks to hoof 25 pounds of tools on singletrack by bike.

Prolly need a different axle, though.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom