Stokesville, Va Stoopid 50 MTB race April 25

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
If you want a really good race for a training or just for a really good effort the Stokesville race is awesome. It’s 50 miles of mostly single track and jeep trail with a touch of asphalt. Awesome views, climbs and you finish on the best tech trail in the area. 52ish miles and 10k of vert. Camp, airbnb or whatever but man is it a good time! https://www.bikereg.com/stokesville-stoopid-50

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
What’s the history of why they don’t do this in State College anymore? Once I relearn to ride a MTB i need to get out this way again.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Start with a 2k foot climb followed by a 1.5k near continuous descent...not your typical NJ riding. That would be fun to pay the very reasonable $80 and just ride the thing at a slightly elevated pace.
It’s great on a singlespeed 🤷‍♂️

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG
The starting climb at this race is not much fun in April unless you have done a lot of climbing early on but that also goes with the entire race as the climbing is never ending.

xc62701

Yes, all they said above. This thing is an ass kicker. That climb out of the campground...it's such a bitch. And then you get to climb Hankey Mtn.

Joe J

I know the climbing is going to hurt like a s.o.b but how much of this is single-track? Trying to decide what tires to run. First time doing it next weekend.
The 3rd & 4th climb are single the 2nd is mixed the 1st is mostly double.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I know the climbing is going to hurt like a s.o.b but how much of this is single-track? Trying to decide what tires to run. First time doing it next weekend.
Personally I run maxxis aspens with no issues. I’d go with a fast tire with sidewall protection. No real loose stuff, just fast, flowy and a gnar finish.

The_Mountainside_Menace

Yes, all they said above. This thing is an ass kicker. That climb out of the campground...it's such a bitch. And then you get to climb Hankey Mtn.
After the first climb it's this off camber descent going at what felt like mach speed, and you look to the left and just see that a fall would take you tumbling pretty far down the ridge. Then you just grow a pair b/c we don't have anything like this in NJ and say well this isn't so bad. You look around see some incredible sights. Then you hit Hankey.

1618720267626.png

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
What’s the history of why they don’t do this in State College anymore? Once I relearn to ride a MTB i need to get out this way again.
The Rothrock Trail Mix came along. It was scheduled so close to Stoopid 50 but just before it so I think he saw a drop in participation. Both races used a lot of the same trails and the Trail Mix was included in the MASS from its first year, so a lot of racers weren't going to show up for both.

xc62701

The Rothrock Trail Mix came along. It was scheduled so close to Stoopid 50 but just before it so I think he saw a drop in participation. Both races used a lot of the same trails and the Trail Mix was included in the MASS from its first year, so a lot of racers weren't going to show up for both.
From what I heard behind the scenes, the Trail mix didn't just come along. The promoter of the Trail mix was caught poaching the Stoopid 50 and was then trying to push the Stoopid race out. I bet Chris Scott from Stupid got tired of the nonsense and figured why go through the headaches in State College when he could put it on in his backyard in the Harrisonburg area.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
From what I heard behind the scenes, the Trail mix didn't just come along. The promoter of the Trail mix was caught poaching the Stoopid 50 and was then trying to push the Stoopid race out. I bet Chris Scott from Stupid got tired of the nonsense and figured why go through the headaches in State College when he could put it on in his backyard in the Harrisonburg area.
Yeah, I heard the same thing, but just as a rumor. It kind of makes sense, though, considering how much of the course is similar. Personally, I preferred the Stoopid course because, while it had more dirt road compared to Trail Mix, it also got over to Cooper's Gap. I like the Trail Mix course, too, but CP is my favorite part of the whole forest.

Joe J

Yeah and now there both gone and the 101 is the only remaining one day MTB race out there :(

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Only 78 people registered. Seems really lite considering the crowd at Rattling Creek and the 300+ registered for WTF.

Top Bottom