Stokesville Stoopid 50 April 5

question, are the stokesville trails really good? as in destination worthy? Perhaps good enough to spend a couple of days riding them?

question, are the stokesville trails really good? as in destination worthy? Perhaps good enough to spend a couple of days riding them?
Yes. There are some other places close by too. It’s a campground and he built flow trails around it.The end of the race is like a 5 mile rock garden.

Yes. Full disclosure....there are no showers at the campground. That being said, it is a very cool place and the vibe is awesome. Good people.

Let’s put this simply. You can be a Joe and race one or two local xc races or you can be a somebody who is living life and race a memory.

Let’s put this simply. You can be a Joe and race one or two local xc races or you can be a somebody who is living life and race a memory.
lol...Have you ridden the whole enchilada yet? Or are you waiting for there to be a race on it?

If a park is really good....experiencing the race course version of it quite often lacks....and even if the race is on the good trails, the level of enjoyment isnt the same. If im traveling I much prefer just going/riding/exploring with friends.

seriously? What does that even mean?

Please.. No backtracking.. Define "Be someone who is living life". I am dying to know your definition.

You could ride in the Stokesville area for several days easy. It would help to have someone who knows the area, though - the GW Forest is massive and it could be pretty easy to get lost out there if you don't know your way around. The best thing about the race course is that it's unambiguous and hits many of the highlights - Reddish Knob, Wolf Ridge, Braley's, etc. (The Braley's descent is one of the best sections of trail you'll find anywhere.) But to link all those sections, you need to use a lot of fire road (which, thankfully, is where most of the climbing is on the course - I've done some of the singletrack climbing out there and it'd be brutal to include that in a 100 mile race.) You can absolutely have several fantastic days out there without racing or repeating any rides, but if you are looking for singletrack routes, it'd be better to have someone with some knowledge of the area with you.

BTW, if you are looking for a place that gives you the same semi-limitless possibilities for rides, a closer option would be Rothrock in central PA (where W101 and TSE are.) Literally too many options to list there.

No need to race to enjoy either place, though!

(Edit: just realized I'm referencing the SM100 course here - the Stoopid 50 hits some of the same stuff, but also other stuff)

Last edited:
lol...Have you ridden the whole enchilada yet? Or are you waiting for there to be a race on it?

If a park is really good....experiencing the race course version of it quite often lacks....and even if the race is on the good trails, the level of enjoyment isnt the same. If im traveling I much prefer just going/riding/exploring with friends.
I may or may not have had one too many cocktails last night. ?. Both Shen and Stoopid ride some phenomenal trails. Stoopid is like shen if you take 80% of the connector roads out but keep all the climbing. The best traiI I have ridden ever is the Overlook trail at the end of the race. So fun. I am the opposite of you however. I typically go to destinations to race and if I happen to be vacationing somewhere I will try and fit in a ride or two. I generally don’t go on bikecations often. I really enjoy the local riding for enjoyment.

Back
Top Bottom