Stokes To High Point Run!

BAIN

Yesterday a friend and myself decided to do a ride that we had talked about doing for a long time. Stokes State Forest to High Point State Park.

Stokes State Forest Ranger Station Parking Lot
Lackner Trail to Kittle Field
Kittle Field Water Fall to Blue Mountain Trail
Blue Mountain to Road to School of Conservation
Conservation Road to Steam Mill Trail
Steam Mill Trail to Backside of Coursen Rd
Coursen Road to Parker Trail
Parker Trail to Deckertown Turnpike
Deckertown Turnpike to Iris Trail
Iris Trail to Route 23
Route 23 to High Point Monument Parking Lot

This ride is 17 miles of all types of trail conditions and it kicked my ass. If any of you ever have the time or want to try this run, I highly recommend it.

monteverest

great ride

just out of curiosity, did you have to loop back to Stokes? I might attempt this but am wary of having to do a return trip, doubling the mileage.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Bad route but i hope you had fun.If you ever want to do the real full loop give me a shout...............

BAIN

No, we parked a car earlier in the morning at High Point. There would be no way that I would have been able to make it back.

What route would you have chosen out of curiosity? Our route decision was based on what we thought was the easiest and most direct.

ps. How is the Andover shop doing? Tell Clayton and Dave I said hello!

Last edited:

hardtale70

Shop Keep
I usually go out in an anticlockwise direction using Howell trail but that is for a loop not an A to B trip.I'm working on the link back from Iris so i don't have to ride Deckertown or do Parker both ways.Shops doing great, although i personnally suck at retail

BAIN

What about using say,

cousen to swenson
swenson to tinsley
tinsley to road to sunrise lot
lot to AT
AT to Luscroft Farms Blue Blaze
Blue Blaze to Deckertown

Not quite sure where on Deckertown that up and over at Loscroft brings you out in comparison to Iris, but that blue blaze either side is the only fun trail over there.

BAIN

When did they stop allowing bikes on the AT? I was told by the Stokes manager years ago that it was fine in NJ, just be careful. Have the laws changed? I don't remember any federal laws being passed about it. If someone has information about it, please let me know.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nearly all means not all then? :D

Edit: I though you were being a wise-ass to my post. I didn't realize there was a legit question after that. I can confirm that most of the AT from Maine to Georgia is off-limits to bikes. The only parts of AT in NJ that bikes can be on are in very brief areas, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile connecting trails here and there, and of course roads and paved paths and the like.

Last edited:

hardtale70

Shop Keep
The Stokes guys are kinda "don't ask don't tell", but it only takes one ballistic sierra club member to really ruin things sometimes.........

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
...but it only takes one ballistic sierra club member to really ruin things sometimes.........

IMO/IME that's the same with everything. That's why I think it's a bad idea for bikers to be in the parking lots blaring their music, as discussed on the other board. One person, especially if very wealthy, can make a big difference.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I know the AT does run in dual-use areas in some spots. No idea about up in Stokes though.

Similar to Wawayanda where the Iron Mtn. trail overlaps with the AT, but that's only for a very short stretch (maybe 1/4 mi.). Bikers are allowed only on this very limited area.

hardtale70

Shop Keep
Similar to Wawayanda where the Iron Mtn. trail overlaps with the AT, but that's only for a very short stretch (maybe 1/4 mi.). Bikers are allowed only on this very limited area.

I walk that section too.I've had friends have hikers just totally go off on them for ridin that......................

Top Bottom