Stokes SF Trail Directory

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does one exist? Curious why NJ state parks website does not have maps online.

DownhillR3

Not 100% sure but I ride there today and it was epic. By far the best trails, better then Ringwood and Waywayanda in my opinion.

xc62701

There is some kind of sketchy non descriptive map you can get from the rangers but nothing good I know of. Although there are SWEET trails there.

Norm:

The map Jeff sent is the one I've seen from the State (which is just OK). The BEST and most detailed map that I've seen is available from the NY-NJ Trail Conference www.nynjtc.org. The map series I use is the Kittatinny Trails (which actually contains 4 maps, covering from High Point to the Water Gap.)

In fact, I may explore sections of Stokes this Sunday, if anyone is interested. I am planning to ride from the Park Office (off Route 206 just North of Culver Lake/Sunrise Mtn Rd) along the Lackner, Swenson and Tinsley Trails, returning along the Blue Mountain Trail... If time allows I plan to cross 206 and ride the Woods Road jeep trail past Tillman's Ravine area down to Buttermilk Falls, then take Mountain Road (dirt road) and Brook Road back to 206. Anyone caring to join, let me know. I plan to start early on Sunday morning...

montclairbobbyb@gmail.com

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Agreed. Stokes has some of the best stuff around (especially the Blue Mountain trail). If there wasn't a race this weekend, montclairbob, I might join you. (keep listening to Triumvirat, btw)

Good to hear... thanks VB for the tip. This is a recon ride....Planning a through route from High Point through Stokes down past Tillmans and Buttermilk Falls to just South of Crater Lake, then down the closed-off road/switchbacks to Swartswood. Peace. BB

cover_4524121242009.jpg

Last edited:

VanDbtRiver

Would love to check this place out on a bike fo sho! I Have hiked many of the trails at Stokes while fantasizing about it's potential for mtbing. Wish I could join in on some exploration with y'all this weekend.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interesting stuff gents. Keep us posted. I do have some NYNJTC maps, #17 and #18 cover this area. It's impossible to tell from these maps what is legal biking and what isn't. We know white is off limits. Aside from that, is everything else legal?

Does anyone else remember the guy who posted up about some trails up in this area before? I seem to remember a guy coming around briefly with stuff mapped out. I think he may have sent me stuff but I can't seem to find any of it. I believe Super Boy Brett may recall.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, I found it. The guy called it Lusscroft Farm, and it's an area slightly east of where the Iris Trail runs back into the AT south of the HPSP ranger station. It doesn't seem to be on the map as state park land.

He's got something marked as "plane wreck" on the map he sent me. Seems like you may be able to put together 40-50 miles of riding between Stokes, High Point, and this if you sprinkle in a little fire road.

Skylands Playground

Ok, I found it. The guy called it Lusscroft Farm, and it's an area slightly east of where the Iris Trail runs back into the AT south of the HPSP ranger station. It doesn't seem to be on the map as state park land.

He's got something marked as "plane wreck" on the map he sent me. Seems like you may be able to put together 40-50 miles of riding between Stokes, High Point, and this if you sprinkle in a little fire road.

Norm: The NYNJ Trail Conference Map 123 (Northern Kittatinny Trails) has pretty good details of that area, including Lusscroft Farm, which is just South of where the Iris Trail crosses Deckertown Road. In fact we cut right through the middle of Lusscroft during out Mutant Century (on Nelson Road)... It's beautiful land with some nice views... It's designated (according to the map) as hiking and horseback only, so I don't know the true skinny on riding there.

But there are easily a dozen trails in Stokes and High Point that are designated as "biking" trails... I am trying to find the best route through Stokes (for our 2-day ride from High Point to the Water Gap in late Oct)... I think the Blue Mountain Trail (heading South), or the Swenson Trail are the likely routes, but I intend to ride both tomorrow to determine which one will be better for riding mutant bikes with fat slicks.... I'll post here after my ride tomorrow (weather permitting)...

BTW there's a feature article in Mountain Bike Mag this month on pg 32 about bike-packing, (ie multi-day, light-packing, point-to-point destination rides).... THAT is the next frontier for me...

Peace,
BB

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep

Easily 50 but you'll break sub 30, cause the terrain is relentless.95% of the area south of 206 is off limits and the rangers WILL be waitin for ya

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Norm:

The map Jeff sent is the one I've seen from the State (which is just OK). The BEST and most detailed map that I've seen is available from the NY-NJ Trail Conference www.nynjtc.org. The map series I use is the Kittatinny Trails (which actually contains 4 maps, covering from High Point to the Water Gap.)

In fact, I may explore sections of Stokes this Sunday, if anyone is interested. I am planning to ride from the Park Office (off Route 206 just North of Culver Lake/Sunrise Mtn Rd) along the Lackner, Swenson and Tinsley Trails, returning along the Blue Mountain Trail... If time allows I plan to cross 206 and ride the Woods Road jeep trail past Tillman's Ravine area down to Buttermilk Falls, then take Mountain Road (dirt road) and Brook Road back to 206. Anyone caring to join, let me know. I plan to start early on Sunday morning...

montclairbobbyb@gmail.com

Start time??

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bob - keep me posted on any 2 day trip. I'm so very interested.

Easily 50 but you'll break sub 30, cause the terrain is relentless.95% of the area south of 206 is off limits and the rangers WILL be waitin for ya

Yes, in my less law abiding days I have had an encounter with the rangers there.

Robin

Does anyone else remember the guy who posted up about some trails up in this area before? I seem to remember a guy coming around briefly with stuff mapped out. I think he may have sent me stuff but I can't seem to find any of it. I believe Super Boy Brett may recall.

There was a post by "BAIN" a while ago/on the forum in the Stokes section - he didn't include a map, but pretty detailed description on how to do it...combine that with a map in front of you and I'm sure the route will work out.

Start from Stokes Park Office by 8 AM... Care to join? I'd love to have company...

If time allows (after the Lackner/Tinsley/Blue Mtn loop), I plan to switch bikes (to my Fargo 29er with slicks), and take Woods Road (jeep trail) down to Mountain Road, then take Mountain and Brook back to 206... I can't imagine the Rangers hassling us for riding Woods Road???

BB

mtn

The rangers won't bother you. You can ride any of the trails at Stokes and High Point. I've ridden all of them so if you want I'll show you a few trails connecting Stokes to HP.

mtn

My advice for Stokes to High Point is first of all start from High Point and ride to Stokes. Secondly, take Iris Trail to 650, take 650 to Parker trail, and then your on your own to take whatever trails you want to the Ranger Station. But, do take Lackner trail from the lake.

My advice for Stokes to High Point is first of all start from High Point and ride to Stokes. Secondly, take Iris Trail to 650, take 650 to Parker trail, and then your on your own to take whatever trails you want to the Ranger Station. But, do take Lackner trail from the lake.

Yes, that's exactly the plan... thanks. Today Brett/Hardtale70 and I rode Lackner, Swenson and Tinsley to the Ocquatunk campsites, then returned via the Blue Mtn Trail... (thanks Brett for showing me around).

From the Ranger Station we continued across 206 and took Woods Road to Shay, and returned along Dimon/Struble roads... Nice ride. Stokes reminds me of Wawayanda in certain spots.

Peace,
BB

Top Bottom