Stewart Super Six Pack 2013

cerberos

Another great race! THANK YOU MTBNJ!!
Still definitely my favorite race of the season...right down to post-race antics under the tent.

Curious how the MTBNJ guy, who took a digger off the wet bridge and went for a swim, is feeling today? He definitely looked rattled, but hopped is ass back on the bike "seeing stars" and shot off - sick bro!

Looking forward to next year...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I was one of the dudes that went for a swim off that bridge, but I was not in bad shape at all. That thing was brutal!

HeavyMetaLance

Got there early, marveled at the whiteness of Lance's hat for a bit

Gimped, red-faced and grey-eyed with rage, out of the woods and into the loving arms of Lance, Eric, Pearl, Rob and Utah, who, in an extraordinarily above and beyond way field-hospital triaged the situation, stripped the rear mech off of Eric's bike, slapped it on mine, dialed it in and sent me on my merry way. (I was kind of hoping they'd just shoot the bike and give me a sandwich, but this was a very close second.)

Glad you had an awesome time, and that you liked my hat!
And I'm glad that we were able to help get your bike situated so you could get back out there. The lion's share of that work was Eric and Utah though. I just provided some of the tools and held a bike.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great recaps!!! Keep them coming!

I rode that bridge at the end of the day when we were tearing down the course....not sure how pearl managed to crash himself into the lake. :hmmm:

As Eric and I were fixing Sean's bike, I did get that sense of him thinking "no really, you can leave it broken and I can stand here and eat for for the rest of the day :)"

Im always a little bummed that working the race means that I cant race it, but a couple of entertaining highlights included: me putting at least 3 staples through various fingers while hanging arrows...Iggy and Rob got to watch me yell at a stapler and throw it :) the new dec policy of no staples in trees meant that we had to get creative with the arrow hanging as you probably noticed, or didnt notice. The one area with the rock face on the left side being taped off was a direct result of me slipping and falling on my ass while hanging an arrow. Oh and Iggy and I ended up somehow riding a section of Rt 84 while in the process of placing the whiteboard signs. Good times.

Last edited:

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My 3rd time and still one of my favorite races of the year. Competition was fierce in the co-ed cat this year. Unfortunately, our team name still holds true so we're stoked with the 5th place finish. I fought ridiculously hard to get Missy out for a 7th lap pulling out a 52 minute lap and coming in somewhere around 5:59...off she went cursing me but with a smile. Big up to the MTBNJ crew!!!

When we called out your bib number at scoring with about 45 seconds to go, she just started to shake her head...

SpartaBard

Great recaps!!! Keep them coming!

I rode that bridge at the end of the day when we were tearing down the course....not sure how pearl managed to crash himself into the lake. :hmmm:

Chris was the other guy who crashed off that bridge. There was a little kid there at the time watching who saw the whole thing and while laughing said "that was the funniest thing I ever saw".

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had a blast.

I car pooled with Glenn Acheson, my partner for the Men's Open Team class. This was Glenn's first real race (other than a short track race), so I was happy to have him get involved. We ride together at CR at a similar pace, so it was a good match.

We arrived bright and early and helped get everyone oriented to parking, the pits, and registration. As Sean said, the parked cars ended up being a mile long. Unfortunately the right side of the four-way intersection was occupied by a group doing dog training in the park, so we couldn't use that area. We did the best we could under the circumstances. Thanks for being understanding about it.

I let Glenn decide who would go first and I got the assignment. Once into the singletrack on the first lap, I settled in and rode the train. I stuck to the rear tire of Team Powerkraut (not sure if it was Bacon or Dan), followed his line, and just ran my pace. Shortly thereafter, the faster Sport guys were coming through and I did my best to not hold them up. I hadn't ridden at Stewart since last year, so there were a few sections I didn't recognize and biffed and cost myself some time as a train of riders blew by. I ended up riding with Dustin for a bit after I nearly ate big shit on Pearl's bridge. He made fun of my socks. I felt good on the first lap and knew it was going to be a fun day.

My second lap, I was riding in solitude for awhile and I just concentrated on being smooth. Some of the rock faces were like ice. I'm glad I had those Nobby Nics on. There are some great flowy sections of trail that just make you smile; it was a good day to be a mountain biker. I got to pass some faster dudes doing their six hour endurance pace, which I rarely get to do. It makes me feel like a real racer! I pushed a little hard on the end of the lap and felt the twinge of cramping in my quads so I knew I needed to keep up with hydration during my down time.

My third lap was after the rain, so things got a little more slick. I dropped my tire pressure down a bit prior to heading out. I maintained my pace, rode smoothly and didn't cramp up at all. I was definitely tired by the last section of singletrack and blew passing a slower rider with Ben on my tail (shit). He told me I was smoooooth. Right.

After I finished, I cleaned up and then took over secondary scoring from Matty so he could get the afterparty stuff started.

My lap times were 0:59, 1:01, and 1:04. I expected more of a dropoff than that, so I'm pretty happy that I ran my own race. Glenn was only a few minutes behind me on each of his three laps, too. My bike was flawless, I never crashed, and I finished without bonking or cramping. We finished 16th out of 21 teams and were only 1 minute behind 15th. Glenn enjoyed the day and said he would definitely do it again. Which is really the whole point, right?

cerberos

Chris was the other guy who crashed off that bridge. There was a little kid there at the time watching who saw the whole thing and while laughing said "that was the funniest thing I ever saw".

Yep!
That's the one...the kid says to me "I wish you had a GoPro for that..." :hmmm:

Schilling

Team MTBNJ Halter's
thanks to mtbnj for putting on a great event!!!

looking back on last year i figured that two easy ways to improve my times was eliminate some pitting and work with a taller gear. i decided i was only pitting at 3, 5, and 7 if i made it that far. my plan was to roll with five bottles, shot blocks, and liquid shots.

as the siren went off i drafted behind mitch and waters down the fireroad. as we came up to the ladies i decided to make my move so i got out to the left and pinned it hoping to pass as many as i could before the singletrack. this worked well as the front runners for the ladies were still in the beginning of the trail(which was wide) so passing was nice and easy.

after i got around them i realized that if i'm in the front. having never been a front runner before i decided to keep pinning it as long as i can to increase the seperation. this worked for a while until jake caught me on lap 2. then i settled into my pace.

the pitting strategy seemed to work as i caught jake again around 3, and i believe i was in first again. i decided to keep pacing as this would keep me alive later in the day.

somewhere around 4 i believe i was passed by both dan and jake. i was able to reel jake in later on 5, but dan was gone. congratulations sir, well done!

as i come into pit on after 5 i am beaten up, every muscle in my legs had rebelled at some point and i was dangerously close to cramping, and despretately needed a break. unfortunately, i had just overtaken jake and knew he would be pitting soon. so i stop and start loading up the bottles keeping an eye out for jake. chris g comes over and asks if there's anything he could help with. thank you, chris.

i ask if i'm in first or second, as i'm a little confused at this point.
chris goes to check this out and on his way back jake is coming in to pit. damn, i gotta get back out.

going out on lap 6 i knew i had to ride hard to hold off jake, but i had to keep from cramping. every little up took its toll on my body. finally, i crested this one up and it happened, cramp. i got off my bike, leaned on it, tried to squat, but was forced to sit. as i sat i hoped that i had enough on jake. as i got back on my bike i see jake approaching the climb and i try to take off. he hops right on my wheel and we start talking about how beat up we are and not going out for 7. i was pushing hard but couldn't shake him. he gets around me and the race is over. great job, jake! i decide to ride out the last part of the lap conservatively focusing on staying upright, as i have lost all form.

as i finished the lap a sense of peace came over me, it's almost over. however, knowing that i'm in third i have to make sure that no one else come through and go back out for seven. i ride down to jake's pit area and we watch everyone coming in, no singlespeeders. when the siren finally went of i was so happy.

thanks again to mtbnj and everyone who participated. what a great day!!!

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yep!
That's the one...the kid says to me "I wish you had a GoPro for that..." :hmmm:

Yup that was me. It had just rained and I saw Jim walking the bridge so I decided to hit it at warp speed then all I remember is flying sideways landing on a rock in a foot of water. Felt refreshing at the moment and only some rash and bruised ribs once the adrenaline wore off.

Still the funnest race I've done this year

Schilling

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Chris was my partner in the men's open team. He did four laps I did three laps for third place. Growler, holla.

there are many chris's on this board and by chance three of us took third's. i think jeff was referring to me. i rode behind you for i believe was most of lap 2 in the beachwood bikes kit.

soulchild

good times!!!!!!!

Great to see everybody out there supporting, riding, smiling and just having an awesome time!

The course was fantastic even with the few muddy spots! Took off with the lead group of about 8-10 right behind Dustin chatting it up and everything was just flowing then at some point around mile 8 I hear this 'clinking' sound like something is in my spokes. I look down dont' see anything so I thought it was a branch that was gone now but a few minutes later it starts again. All of a sudden I hear a loud 'ping' like a spoke popped only I felt it hit with some force. Don't notice exactly what is wrong right away but I know something is screwed because now I have no front brake and it's squealing like a pig but I'm at the end of the lap so I'll check it in the pit.

Finish the lap and see Ben in the pit who takes a quick look and he confirmed that the retention pin on my Hope's came out and I lost my brake pads :getsome: I ask a couple of homies if anybody is riding Hope's (dammit where is Jeremy!) but no dice. I guess it's my own fault for not keeping the stock brakes :rolleyes:

Check out senor Freshington at the 'support' zone who zip ties the brake lever so I'm less inclined to play with it. After 1 lap I mail it in, do 2 more laps for a nice workout but it's just not the same, change and cheer along with everyone else and just soaking in the vibes!

Great times and thanks again for everyone coming out!

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Rough start with GPS giving me wrong directions but mitch came threw with right address. First lap I crashed on the steepest decent.(right in front of Jimv wish he had a gopro)

That would've been a good one to have!! Actually dudes crashed in front of me all day long, I think I'm bad luck...

-Jim.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had a great time.
big thanks to MTBNJ and the whole team for a wonderful event.

I fulfilled my expectations of finishing 3 laps.

lap one was going well until around mile 7 when i started getting the chills. So i just cruise for a while stopped and had a gel pack didn't really fully recover until
i got to the pit and ate real food and drank some hammer fizz.

lap 2 felt better, not as fast as the first

lap 3 felt like i shouldn't have started lap 3 but as expected slower than the second.

my first 32 mile mtb ride avg. 10 mph for the day
I know i'm not the fastest, but i sure like riding my bike anyway.

see you at the next one.

Last edited:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
That would've been a good one to have!! Actually dudes crashed in front of me all day long, I think I'm bad luck...

-Jim.

There were a bunch of crashes all day long. I saw a guy go down on the first root drop on lap one. He was in front of me and I was right off his wheel. Not sure how I avoided getting mixed up with him - he made about as graceful a fall as possible, but he went one way and his bike went another and I kind of shot the middle as I yelled to the folks behind me that there was a rider down. I was too close to do anything but I did ask if he was okay. And I heard one of his tires losing air. It was a shame because I would have liked to help if I could but if I braked at that point, I'd have taken out the guy behind me. I think I also saw or heard like one person per lap lose it on that tight bridge crossing!

Top Bottom