Stewart Super Six Pack 2013

Ian F

The shower I took when I got home didn't wash off the feeling from writing numbers on 200 or so shaved men's legs.

After 20+ years of shaving my legs, I'm not about to stop now no matter how slow I am. Deal with it. Besides, the mud washed off so much easier... :p

It was a fun course and the mud wasn't too bad; the one sloppy muck section near the end was how I was expecting the entire course to be like. I just wish my shoulder had been more cooperative as I still had some legs left when I bailed after three laps, but I started making stupid technical mistakes and I can't afford to fall it again, so discretion won out.

Looking forward to next year! :getsome:

soulchild

pearl, my bike clothes need to be washed.

did luke & woodyee get lou's car door open?

it poured on my ride home from stewarts. my bike got clean on the roof rack but now my car needs to be washed.

I had to stop and drop my kit at the laundromat (delicate cycle doe), it was rank!

What a clusterxxxx... No doubt in my mind Luke, Woody, Utah (and his antenna) would have gotten the job done in another 15 minutes :)

All purpose tool!

Live blog post:

tumblr_mp881770pg1qggy6mo1_500.jpg

I didn't get his door open. I hit the unlock button on both doors of his car. Lou had some alarm system installed that was supposed to go on a honda civic owned by a 17 year old with a flat brim hat, so it disabled the door lock buttons completely from inside the car. I was working on using the mechanical unlock latch when a hired gun with an antenna from god knows what car and easily did what I was trying to do with crap tools.

Viper was in valet mode. Never dawned on me that it wouldn't work!

Hugs and kisses to you guys for the effort and honorable mention to Dana's Accord for providing 3 dimensional lock as a guide :)

bigW

4-Pack for me.

Wow, super day. Mud was minimal and the course was great.

Google maps messed me up and routed me south on 747 from 84 not north ( thinking that Ridge Road was open to traffic). That turned a late arrival into super-late. Got registered in 20 seconds and lined up at 8:58. Big thanks to the volunteer who carried and wheeled our coolers from the cooler drop zone to the pits as they started the race.

Started absolutely last to be able to get my MTB legs under me on the first lap. By the second lap I felt good and by the third lap I felt I was back up to speed on this whole MTB dealio. Legs felt great but HR was stuck in the 150-160 BPM zone which seems high for a long race. About half way around on the fourth lap I started to get sloppy in some places and decided that a fifth lap would not be fun and perhaps ruin a great day. Moments after making that decision my rear-deraileur stopped shifting ( easily shifting into a harder gear but nearly impossible to muscle into an easier gear ) so there would not have been a fifth anyway. My lap times were a bit slower than last year and one less lap but this race quintupled my MTB time for the past year. After cleaning the bike, it looks like my RD shifter is either busted or jammed up, need to get it fixed ASAP to keep the MTB flow going..

All good. ( mind bending how polite all the passers were. excellent attitude )

Many thanks to all who made this possible.

- W

PS: I have never seen that much poison ivy in my life. Did Tecnu + shower + Claritin when I got home. Hope that works out for me.

solorider

ChrisRU, thanks for taking care of the transfer morning of, much appreciated..

First true endurance race and I was not prepared.

Lap 1: social, social, this course is cake.
Lap 2: lets pass some riders and keep the pace going.
Lap 3:halfway in, is it hot in here!! Why can't I feel my legs... Oh shit there goes Pro/Open on their fourth lap...
Intermission: chat up some good folks feeling the same burn and have a picnic in a field of poison oak...
Lap 4: "ride all day, ding ding, ride all day, ding ding" unknown sketchy dude is in my head...

Turkey sammich on the way home really hit the spot. Thanks all, for the good times and sick tunes!!!!

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
The bulleted list of my super fun but painful day:

• First two laps were smooth and fun
  • Third lap was where the cramps started -- didn't eat enough? Certainly drank plenty and loaded up on endurolytes.
  • The whole MTBNJ crew sitting at the finish line made me forget the pain of laps 3 and 4 with their cheering and encouragement each time around.
  • Last mile of lap 5 ... entire body cramped up. Cramped isn't even the right word. My legs froze. I couldn't stand up without my hamstrings spasming and couldn't squat without my quads spasming. Then my back, triceps, hands and feet all cramped up. I was paralyzed and my heart rate was jacking up for like 15 minutes. I had a borderline panic attack -- I honestly could do nothing but wait it out and hope it ended soon.
  • Despite all that and knowing at the start that I was outgunned not having raced since April, I don't think I've ever had that much fun hurting myself. Would have loved to make it in for a sixth lap, but c'est la vie.

Thanks to all the MTBNJ folks for putting on another great event. You guys do a sh*t ton of work and it shows. Great course, well marked, and everyone seemed to have a good time. Great day!

cem

rare race recap

Thanks MTBNJ for putting on a great race. Great vibe over all, super courteous racers, even after I scared the devil out of few, by alerting my presence way too late.

My plan was try to keep up with the lead folks on the first lap see where I end up and hopefully hold on to that place for the next 5hrs. I didn't anticipate the start to be similar to a 2hr race.. Yikes

I think it was mostly physical and some mental, but I backed off the gas knowing I still have 5+hrs to go. I settled into my endurance pace a little sooner then anticipated.

Still haven't fully figure out water and food during a race, but this race went quite well. Never fully cramped, but did have chills if I pedaled too hard. At first I wasn't thrilled with the fire roads, sections, but without them I never would of drank anything. I went through two water bottles (1 with heed/endurolytes/perpetuim) per lap.

Trying not to go easy on myself and be lazy, I passed any racer who wasn't at my pace. To my surprise I was passing quite a bit and managed to keep it up for the whole race. Mostly folks not in my category... But, then on the last 2 laps I came across a few #1 mud encrusted calfs. I managed to make any pass stick.

Halfway through the final lap the wheels started to come off the wagon. The single speeder who I was battling with all day. Came out of no where and got around me. He said "come on let's go, we're almost done". I almost dropped off and let him go. I hung with him on the single track but started to give up mentally.

A little before we hit the 2nd to last fire road i got my wheels back on the wagon and I decided to absolutely bury myself to get to the end of this race. We hit the fire road. I got around and said "jump on". I wasn't sure if he'd get in my draft. Though, I knew if I didn't create a gap he would catch me on the last bit of rocky, rooty single track. I never looked back only forward to my best finish ever, 3rd place.

-chris

downbeat007

My 3rd time and still one of my favorite races of the year. Competition was fierce in the co-ed cat this year. Unfortunately, our team name still holds true so we're stoked with the 5th place finish. I fought ridiculously hard to get Missy out for a 7th lap pulling out a 52 minute lap and coming in somewhere around 5:59...off she went cursing me but with a smile. Big up to the MTBNJ crew!!!

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I think I saw a chewbacabra
DSC_3995-X2.jpg

I was ridin for El Chupacabra himself...Blake Bagget! That's my Southwick National Motocross wristband from the day before. Props on gettin the shot before I flung the downside bird. I'm glad I came out of retirement for this, you guys did a great job. Extra thanks to all at Action Bike and Outdoors for all the support and new equipment too. That was my 22nd ride since the fall of 2011..........not too shabby:getsome:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That must have been mitch

Chris did 7 laps, the only ss'er to do 7 was Dan Ingerdal.
Nice job Chris, congrats on 3rd.

Good to see you out there Brett. We must be doing something right if we're getting you to show up for our race:D

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That must have been mitch

It wasn't me. I only did 6 laps and finished at 6:07. I don't think I was able to talk on the last lap.. I was ready to quit after lap 3. My heart rate for the 1st 3 laps was an avg. of 175. No matter what I did it just would not drop so I figured after 3 I'm done. I just keep pushing anyway because I just don't know any better. This was my first endurance race that I keep the ridged fork on for and my arms were toasted. After a break and 3 Advil I headed out for lap 5 trying to talk my self into not letting my competitiveness talk me into a 6th. lap but halfway thur the Advil kicked in and I was alive again. My 6th lap I headed in with my fellow SS boy "No Helmet Al" and Boston Scott. I was hanging with Boston Scott up until he stopped for water at halfway pit??? WTF was that about I thought and because I was in a zone on and just hammered out the rest of the lap for my 2nd fastest lap of the day and the 2nd fastest Lap 6 of all the racers at 56.40 (except for the teams of course). So for that alone I think I deserve something!!! Anyway Great times and Congrads to my man Schilling for killing it and placing 3rd in the SS Class. Thanks to all the volunteers and all that other stuff, blah blah blah.. Great peeps all around..

PS:
Also a shout to the shouters at the finish, you know who you are. To Kirt and Lance for pushing me along when I was ready to quit, To the Food Girls of course (Patty makes the best watermelon), to Woody for running a great show,just like he rides a bike. He Makes it look so easy... peace

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Great job as always MTBNJ crew. Special thanks to Woody for having a multitude of supplies nearby so I could re-attach my saddle that snapped off during the 3rd lap.

1st 6-Pack I was actually able to ride all the way through as the first year I broke my bike and last year I broke myself. My only goal was to get in 6 laps before the buzzer. Paced myself as such. On the last lap I had to walk up most of the climbs as pushing the fat bike for that long really started to get to me. Think about dropping the front ring down to a 32t for the next adventure...

-Jim.

GratefulRider

It was probably Nathan Kraxberger, riding SS in the Open class...

This is correct and interesting. I know this because the days leading up to the race, I said to both Jared and Chris that there are two really fast/strong guys we need to watch out for. Cody and Nathan.

My race started like they always do. I quickly found myself on the front but was pretty comfortable with the pace so I stayed there. Cody and I were working well together and I felt like we were putting some distance between the rest of our field. This was the first 3+hrs.

Lap 4 while passing some riders in a less than ideal spot, I felt the rear tire give out. Cody waited with me the first time I hit it with a co2 but after riding a few minutes it was obvious it needed more air. At that point I saw mtbnj Lou and bummed a co2 and it thought maybe this time...rode a few minutes but was still losing air... it was here that I found a few non racers and bummed a pump. This got me thru the lap where I could make a proper repair at the pit.

Jared passes me in the pit. Cody is gone.

All fixed up, I get on the gas and wind up burning way too many matches trying to catch up. I wouldn't see Jared until the finish. He is riding really well lately and this course suits his style. Congrats on a job well done.

About 3/4's of the way thru lap 6 my earlier efforts have caught up to me. Chris and Nathan (now 3rd and 4th place) pass me by and there's nothing I can do. I ride out the rest of the 6th. Hit the pit, dump some ice water and stuff some calories in my face. I'm on the gas again for lap 7 trying race back on but I keep hitting the wall. I'm digging deep and hurting but I want podium. But it was not to be. Knowing how strong the others are and considering 2nd and 3rd are good friends of mine, I graciously accept 5th place.

I appreciated that the music wasn't too loud but more than that, I appreciated the encouragement from the mtbnj cheer crew. Great job hosting the race and it was nice to see you all. I'll be back next year.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shockingly fun day, he says, now that the brain has begun editing out all the pain that strung the fun bits together.

Got there early, marveled at the whiteness of Lance's hat for a bit, then snagged a super-close parking spot, which made hiding from the skeeters, registering, changing, socializing, remembering I had some deet in the car, etc. really easy. Was horrified by how long the line of cars was behind my spot. I was told it was close to a mile to the last one.

Lined up at the back of my group (45+) and tried to remember the goals -survive & learn. This being my first endurance race, I figured those MIGHT be achievable. With the whoop-whoop of the siren, off we went. I scooted ahead unnecessarily on the fire road and latched on to some folks who seemed to know what they were doing. Since I don't I lost 'em pretty quick and settled into what I realize now was a slightly ambitious pace. I had taken Jim V's advice and brought lots of food and water. The camelback w/the Skratch juice got attacked early and often. And the water on the bike was used to wash down the home-cooked treats. Tried to eat at least 3 bite-lets per lap. Which, while tough at points, may have kept me from cramping or bonking.

Lap two was a bit tougher. Slower by 3 or 4 minutes. Grabbed onto a singletron who was slicing and dicing like a Ginsu and held on for dear life. Worked. Got through it without too many issues. Still trying to find lines that worked for my dumb-self up some of the sharp inclines, and getting the occasional one right. Progress. The heat seemed to ramp up, but the clouds were looking forbidding as well. Swapped water and juice, got more food and headed out again.

Lap three hurt. My feet alternated stabbing pain, neither wanting to upstage the other. I figured as long as it was just one at time... Everything was pretty strung out, so lots of alone time out there, trying to keep my head together. My shifting started getting vague, with lots of ghost-grinching in and out of gears. And some slight chain suck on the uphills began to rear it's ugly head. At the end of the lap, the clouds were lowering, so I raced to my mercifully close car, rolled up the windows, sat briefly in a pool of my own filth in the pit while I reloaded the nutrition cannons, then off again.

This one, lap four, was horrible. Apparently the spring in my derailleur surrendered, leaving me with no tension on the chain. Leading to the worst chain-suck I've ever had. Every uphill was met with a clunking sound and then lock-up. Spinning made it worse, so I begun churning at 70-80 rpm, which is really really bad for the knees. I know that because they began to scream at me. I also wasted a lot of energy getting the bike out of the woods where I chucked it in frustration. A couple of times. Maturity and calm test: fail. At least the bike is really heavy, so it didn't go far. (And with all the on-off the bike, my feet felt better.)

Gimped, red-faced and grey-eyed with rage, out of the woods and into the loving arms of Lance, Eric, Pearl, Rob and Utah, who, in an extraordinarily above and beyond way field-hospital triaged the situation, stripped the rear mech off of Eric's bike, slapped it on mine, dialed it in and sent me on my merry way. (I was kind of hoping they'd just shoot the bike and give me a sandwich, but this was a very close second.)

Now able to shift and spin, I took off, thinking this could be a faster lap. And it was. Darker, too, with the low, wet clouds making some bits of the woods more'n a bit interesting. Took a small fall on one of those exposed whale backs early on. Rolled into the wake of a fast guy and held on. Clocked a 58, four minutes slower than my first lap, but so so much harder. Chris LaBudde blew the doors off my aspirational Yugo at the very end, but then gave me beer, so that was a win. At the start-finish ChrisR tells me I can go out for another lap. I tell him, with all the certainty of a Bishop strapped to a lie detector, that I can't. And then I ran away, 'cause he's persuasive.

Ruined a t-shirt cleaning myself off and wandered around in a daze, eating chips, drinking other people's beer and wolfing sandwiches. Stood like a slack-jawed country-mouse, marveling at other people's times. Learned a few things about endurance racing. And derailleurs. And how fantastic the MTBNJ crew is. Learned I am totally hooked. Thanks for an amazing day!

(And I love my t-shirt.)

AL.

Does more trail maintenance than you, without a he
What a fun day.Thanks to mtbnj crew and everyone involved.I finished 6 laps with a time of 6:16,11th place ss open.Rough start with GPS giving me wrong directions but mitch came threw with right address. First lap I crashed on the steepest decent.(right in front of Jimv wish he had a gopro).After that I kept the wheels on the ground.the last lap I had to walk the hills but was happy with my race being that it was my first endurance.Great being able to talk to people to pass the time.count me in next year

D'Oh

Here is my recap;
Event was like all the rest of the MTBNJ ran events....Excellent!:D

When the buzzard went off I was with the lead group...well all but one, he took off like he had an electric assist bike never to be seen again. So I went into the woods in second after clearing the convoy of cars that were driving through the course... Every thing felt find till the first small rock ledge drop when my hand reminded me that it was fractured...
Lap2 and lap3 were good, I knew due to my hand I was just to race my own race. After the 3rd lap, 4-5 and 6 I had to stop to ice down the hand (cost me a lot of time). Thank everyone for the cheers and encouragement!

P.S. Who is the guy that went swimming in that water hole were that super hard right was? I saw that the caution tape was down and marks all over the mud and water... I almost went in 3x? I rode through the edge in that slush almost every time.

Lesson learned:
1. Always have a second pair of DRY gloves on hand! (thanks again Dustin)
2. You can say "no pain, no pain, no pain" all you want and the only thing that you realize after 6 hours is that you are lying to yourself....

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ding ding ride bikes all day
Ding ding ride bikes all day

This made my day :)

Thank You all for supporting our races!
I think we are getting pretty damn good at this.

Stay tuned for our upcoming mooch race...

Top Bottom