Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

MuniMan

I have heard no trail reports since the storm on Tuesday.

As of yesterday Long Meadow Rd was still closed at 17a and access to the park visitor center was blocked.

Any trail reports will be appreciated.

We will be working to clean up on Sunday morning if you would like to come out and help. Most likely from Caretaker lot.

The fine print:

Park regulations stipulate that no chainsaws are allowed unless you and a partner have been officially trained /certified for trail maintenance.

All volunteers should complete this online form Volunteer Service Agreement It basically says that you are acknowledging to the State of New York that you are an unpaid volunteer and that the state is acknowledging your unpaid employment and will cover you in some form should you be hurt.

Last edited:

MuniMan

I have a report that the entire loop is a mess. The first mile or so if Munsee-Eagle from Redback (Southgate Parking Lot) side has been cleared of small-medium debris.

I will be starting in Caretaker tomorrow morning, early, ~6:30. Work down Hutchinson towards Redback All help is welcome, come when you can, bring handsaw/clippers/loppers etc.

evening update:
There should be people on both Hutch and ME by 7:00am.

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Just reporting that ME from caretaker almost to the hill to the second power line crossing is now clear. That multi tree mess is all cleaned up ... yay! There still is one tree just before the climb. We did not go up to power line, but rumors that there are several trees up there. There still are several on lower ME flow works section and one on section A that will need saw. After 4 days of clearing, i plan to take a day off tomorrow. Maybe 2 days. Thanks to everyone out there today trying to clean up the mess. Every little bit helps.

MuniMan

Just reporting that ME from caretaker almost to the hill to the second power line crossing is now clear. That multi tree mess is all cleaned up ... yay! There still is one tree just before the climb. We did not go up to power line, but rumors that there are several trees up there. There still are several on lower ME flow works section and one on section A that will need saw. After 4 days of clearing, i plan to take a day off tomorrow. Maybe 2 days. Thanks to everyone out there today trying to clean up the mess. Every little bit helps.
Yes, thanks to all who got out to help today. We had 2 crews with 3 people each along with people who helped for a while when riding by. And the person who I met while walking out who was going to work up by the powerlines.

Typical before:

IMG_6461[1].JPG

There is still some carnage up near the power lines, here is some of it.

IMG_6507[1].JPG
IMG_6508[1].JPG

Hutch and Redback are in better shape. There are a few larger logs still to get along with a somewhat dangerous hanger on Hutch

IMG_6455[1].JPG

IMG_6458[1].JPG

MuniMan

The park is in good shape. The last of the storm damage was repaired this past weekend.

This

IMG_6840[1].JPG

Is now

IMG_6846[2].JPG

IMG_6847[1].JPG

That tree will make a nice skinny of it manages to fall completely over.

Attachments

• IMG_6840[1].JPG
    IMG_6840[1].JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6846[1].JPG
    IMG_6846[1].JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6847[1].JPG
    IMG_6847[1].JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 115

MuniMan

The trails are getting soft from all the rain that we have had lately. Please give the park time to dry out completely after it rains.

-rant-

If you are making ruts, even just a few, you are displacing the trail surface. Next time it rains that puddle will become deeper. Then along comes another trail user and the cycle repeats, each time the rut/hole getting a little bit deeper and wider and the rock next to it gets a little bigger. And when it gets fixed chances are the rock will no longer be in the trail.

I like working on the trail. But I'd rather be making things like a new skinny as opposed to fixing ever widening and deepening potholes that become mud wallows.

-end of rant-

Frost yesterday morning.

IMG_7030.JPG

Positioned a new skinny from tree that fell last August. Needs to be dressed up a bit still. This is what I'd rather be doing!

IMG_7060.JPG
IMG_7066.JPG
IMG_7067.JPG

Tionegear

The trails are getting soft from all the rain that we have had lately. Please give the park time to dry out completely after it rains.

-rant-

If you are making ruts, even just a few, you are displacing the trail surface. Next time it rains that puddle will become deeper. Then along comes another trail user and the cycle repeats, each time the rut/hole getting a little bit deeper and wider and the rock next to it gets a little bigger. And when it gets fixed chances are the rock will no longer be in the trail.

I like working on the trail. But I'd rather be making things like a new skinny as opposed to fixing ever widening and deepening potholes that become mud wallows.

-end of rant-

Frost yesterday morning.

View attachment 142535

Positioned a new skinny from tree that fell last August. Needs to be dressed up a bit still. This is what I'd rather be doing!

View attachment 142536View attachment 142537View attachment 142538
Glad that you posted this- Sterling was perfect yesterday. Lots of leaf cover which protects the trails nicely. The corners and fast DH sections are getting blown out- someone has been removing a lot of the rocks that kept the dirt on the trail. The first picture you posted is a great example of trail that has been destroyed and will erode away. That section right past those big rocks is just soft dirt that was used to fill holes where rocks recently lived. If rocks continue to be taken out and the holes filled with dirt this place will continue to erode... The rocks were holding the trail together. I hope the trail conference finds the culprits and asks them to stop before it's too late.

MuniMan

I have reports of trees down on Hutchinson but no specifics. Presumably from the winds yesterday.

If anybody out riding can note locations, take some photos and post here and/or on Trailforks it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

onetracker

Sweet conditions today. Moderate leaf cover. Not a crazy amount of derailleur catching sticks.

Big pine down not far from the Caretaker Lot (~0.5 mi is my guess) right at the beginning of ME.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sweet conditions today. Moderate leaf cover. Not a crazy amount of derailleur catching sticks.

Big pine down not far from the Caretaker Lot (~0.5 mi is my guess) right at the beginning of ME.
This is good to hear as we are going for our first time. Gonna check out route now.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

Thanks for the heads up. We are sending out a chainsaw crew shortly.

FOLKS: Please leave the tree and do not cut it with a handsaw. Our crew needs the practice as we have some newly certified swayers.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Next time message me and I’ll give you a proper guide. Lots of fun B lines throughout the loop. Have fun.
Do you have strava or TF routes, could use some direction. Coming from 287 north which lot?

MuniMan

I was on foot today cleaning up storm damage. Hutch is 100% clear. Reports from riders are that there’s one tree each on ME and Redback.

There was still running water on the trail in spots and breakable ice on puddles.
Please ride when the ground is frozen. The sun will thaw it out even if temps are below freezing.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions