Sterling Forest Trail Building

MuniMan

Got a little further today from South Gate side.

On the Muncee trail, other than the tree a few posts above, it is clear and clean all the way to the power-lines. After you cross the power-line there is a REALLY swampy section where the double-track splits and returns to single-track. That is where I stopped. Once that area dries out a bit, it shouldn't take long to finish the last stretch of Muncee to where I left off a week or so ago coming from Long Meadow Rd.

I came back and went up Redback and got as far as the giant rock (or for those who prefer -- glacial erratic). So, the remaining stretch on that side is from that rock up to where Redback meets Hutchinson.

There wasn't anything else BIG on the trails. But, there were a ton of smaller limbs and "derailleur eaters".
Redback is reported clear to the mine (the big iron prow/tank/whatever it is in the woods). I have not heard any reports for Redback between the mine and Hutch, up on top of the hill.

We still have close to a mile of trail to build above the power line area. Hopefully that will happen by mid summer. Almost all of the double track barge canal and swamps near the powerline will be bypassed.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
I rode the loop yesterday. Most of the loop is good. Wet and mushy where you would expect it. We are debating clearing the blowdowns on hutch. The big one by the drum will definitely stay there until we finish the bridge. Then it's just a matter of getting the sawyers out. I'm pushing for one trip, but people are chomping at the bit to ride, so maybe sooner.

huffster

I did the complete loop today so was able to check the section of Redback from giant rock up to Hutchison. It was in pretty good shape with nothing blocking trail. Just “pick up sticks”.

Also, I got the last section on Muncee between power line and the other end of Hutchison. No big trail blockers there either, but lots of branches were cleaned up.

So, once the 1 tree on Muncee is cut and the 4 on Hutchison, it will be 100%.

There is still some wet spots but mainly on double track sections.

It was a txt message from someone who was probably 1/2 hour behind you.

MuniMan

NYNJTC is using Sterling this weekend to train their summer Americorps crews. They have 25 people working on section J (map in first post) which is in the area where the trail goes under the powerline coming up from South Gate Rd. They have about 200-250 feet of new trail built already that I made the first track on yesterday.

They will be there till Monday and then go work elsewhere. The regular crew will be back working full time at Sterling in a few weeks.

If you are up there today or tomorrow and see a bunch of people wearing red shirts working in woods the please stop and say hi.

The regular crew is slated to finish the work on section I (north of the power lines where the trail leaves the road) that was started last fall before continuing work by the power lines.

01230E48-2229-41C4-8CF2-BE367D747E9E.jpeg

1D08AB0E-7142-4181-9EBF-E99B5DA399DA.jpeg

MuniMan

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions