Stephens State Park Conditions

TPI_Elky

Conditions were prime yesterday. Just the smallest bit of greasy stuff in lower maze. Hopefully we don't get too much rain today and it will be still good in a couple of days.

Didn't see a single other rider out there. Best Social Distance I've had all week!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Stephens is mint as of yesterday. Not a hint of mud, even lower down. I think even if we get a bout of snow tomorrow the trails are firm enough that they should be fine again soon enough.

roc

Trails were great today. But it was my first time seeing four wheelers in the park - that was kind of a bummer
I am oblivious. What’s the big deal about seeing quads there? I’ve been seeing them there for as long as I’ve been riding there(20yrs?)
I am not looking to stir the pot, but why are people so against them. I’m sure they have been in there way before there was mountain biking, no? Why do a lot of people on here, not like them? Again, I’m just curious, no judgement.

I am oblivious. What’s the big deal about seeing quads there? I’ve been seeing them there for as long as I’ve been riding there(20yrs?)
I am not looking to stir the pot, but why are people so against them. I’m sure they have been in there way before there was mountain biking, no? Why do a lot of people on here, not like them? Again, I’m just curious, no judgement.
The big problem was watching him tear up the side of the trail when he couldn’t get around the blocked section.

Really my biggest issue is that these parks around here are really small, the same trails tend to get ridden over and over and over again and the trails get rutted out pretty bad. I’m not against four wheelers and dirt bikes, heck I rode motocross for many years and still enjoy riding when I get a chance, but I worry about what happens if left unchecked in these smaller parks.

Fat Trout

The big problem was watching him tear up the side of the trail when he couldn’t get around the blocked section.

Really my biggest issue is that these parks around here are really small, the same trails tend to get ridden over and over and over again and the trails get rutted out pretty bad. I’m not against four wheelers and dirt bikes, heck I rode motocross for many years and still enjoy riding when I get a chance, but I worry about what happens if left unchecked in these smaller parks.
This. Allamuchy north has had a serious up tick in quad traffic powering hard...complete with a dozen or more recent spray paint efforts to mark their "race track" in the one trail i biked recently..a few is one thing. Masses unchecked ruin it for all.

Attachments

• IMG_20200322_112911.jpg
    IMG_20200322_112911.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 112

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been hearing them on every ride in both Stephen's and mooch lately. That was never the case. Fuck quads they are ST killers. I have no issues with motos.

It doesn't take a pro tracker to find the culprits considering all paths lead to the back yards that border the parks lol.

Fat Trout

I've been hearing them on every ride in both Stephen's and mooch lately. That was never the case. Fuck quads they are ST killers. I have no issues with motos.

It doesn't take a pro tracker to find the culprits considering all paths lead to the back yards that border the parks lol.
Mooch seems to be access via BSA and 7th Day aventist property mostly....although someone cleared a tree I purposely left across the trail coming out of the cranberry ledge entrance. It had been quiet there for so long too :(.

roc

Fair enough.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

The real morons are out there without helmets. A trail camera can certainly ID these guys. Just saying.

I own a quad and have owned too many dirtbikes to count.

My view is my own, but I thin a few enduro bikes can actually improve singletrack trail in some settings. I think quads just turn singletrack into highways.

xc62701

Quads on fireroads are one thing but quads in singletrack hell no. From what I've seen most of it is fireroad traffic. Dirtbikes with the right rider leave little impact but those idiots that are throttling every turn and chewing it up I could live without. It takes too much time to create and maintain these trails to have one throttle happy idiot cause years worth of damage.

goldsbar

This. Allamuchy north has had a serious up tick in quad traffic powering hard...complete with a dozen or more recent spray paint efforts to mark their "race track" in the one trail i biked recently..a few is one thing. Masses unchecked ruin it for all.

I've seen those spray paint marks. W(ho)TF does that? Damage has become very obvious.

Last edited:

TPI_Elky

Did a quick loop around Waterloo today. Started out from the gate and rode around Tilcon lake then some small trails and past the old Morris Canal Plane. Had to do a road bit to get back before dark. Most of the trails were good, but the was a bit of muddy section just north of 80 on the trail after in goes under the I-80 bridge.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I was there Saturday and the lot by the river off willow was taped off. I didn’t see any indication the park was closed. But sounds like everything is changing right now.

xc62701

I was there Saturday and the lot by the river off willow was taped off. I didn’t see any indication the park was closed. But sounds like everything is changing right now.

I was there Sunday as well and everything was good to go. Still just as many cars by the iron gate as ever. Still only saw a few people in the trails as I hit Stephens/DP/Mooch.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions