Stephens State Park Conditions

ryderX

I just XC skied Stephens from the iron gate to the boundary trail and back. The conditions right now are perfect for a MTB ride fat or skinny. We’ve got 1 more solid day of freezing temps and tomorrow will have ideal conditions.
2775E4F3-38A2-4F18-85A8-9FE2E27725F6.jpeg

ryderX

Tried riding Stephens today. We started at the hotel parking lot and climbed up to the mulch piles. Dumped into the woods and the ride turned into a glorified hike so we rode the gravel road out and back to Hackettstown. There is still 4-6” of snow on most trails which I’m assuming will be gone by mid week. No need to worry about destroying the trails since quads have butchered most of the ones we hiked.
https://strava.app.link/TgDE5FEvBeb
1615676413025.png

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tried riding Stephens today. We started at the hotel parking lot and climbed up to the mulch piles. Dumped into the woods and the ride turned into a glorified hike so we rode the gravel road out and back to Hackettstown. There is still 4-6” of snow on most trails which I’m assuming will be gone by mid week. No need to worry about destroying the trails since quads have butchered most of the ones we hiked.
https://strava.app.link/TgDE5FEvBebView attachment 153717
We tried also. I figured give a go at the top from state park road and if no good We try power lines. Trails sucked 100' in and PL were a mixed bag. Still spent hr an half of fresh air which is better then nothing.

JORBA Stephens

https://strava.app.link/TgDE5FEvBebView attachment 153717
Please Report What You See. The app will work. WARN NJDEP The more the better.

Safe to assume rideable up top and soft at the lower trails?
Yes top is perfect, I went up to the top did gravity and skeezits/funyuns and I decided to just do the top portion of trestle to the whoops and then climb back up because it’s usually a mess after that, and then I saw the damage that the four wheelers did to that section of trail. It looks like they got stuck at that point and just kept spinning their tires, I hope it was just the snow that made it look so bad. Oh the positive side it was the only point in the park I saw anything like that.

babyblue

Checked it out yesterday afternoon. Skeezix, Sasquatch, Cooler top part of trestle are clear. Bottom of Stevies Technical and Trestle still have some mud pits (dw I walked, didn’t leave any damage). The triple jump on trestle is still snow covered, huge buzzkill.

JORBA Stephens

Anyone out early on Sat happen to notice any vehicles parked by the concert field gates. There has been some repeated damage to a few trailside features and yes they are mtb users. Edit : I is looking like some of the damage was done some time after 2 pm on saturday or early sunday morning.

Last edited:

ovh

Rode today. Trestle was 98% dry. Blue Rock is still a bit soft and needs a few days.

There's a couple trees down that need a chainsaw. There's a medium sized tree down on Funyuns, not far from the end (the junction w/ Trestle). And there's two trees down on Trestle. One is a small-medium Beech really close to the end of the trail (the junction w/ Maze) that could be taken care of with a folding saw, and the other tree is about 75% of the way through the trail (and after the creek crossing) that is medium sized and may need a chainsaw. Sorry I wasn't able to help.

Happy riding!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions