Stephens State Park Conditions

Fat Trout

Tally-Ho , Trestle, LOTL and Station Road were all excellent tonight. Do they have a leash law?
Yeah there is a leash requirement but I'll admit my wife and I let our dogs off in North but in an area we almost never see anyone. I don't think we have seen a biker with our dogs in the last 2 years. We keep them close and put them back on leash if we see or hear anyone and don't do it if we think its in any way busy. Occasionally a blind turn and a meet up happen. Stephens isn't a great place to do it IMO especially current day (more people) and its unfortunate if / when people push it too much. I'll ride with my lab too on occasion but she only wants to run and could care less about people. it doesn't make me a good example but I understand wanting to let your dog run....as long as they aren't a threat. I have had dog problems on the bike and don't like it. I try to be tolerant of both sides. I've been chased and even bit. Not disagreeing.

xc62701

I can't believe how much HT has improved over the last couple of weeks. Either there's been a lot of grooming or the traffic it's getting is making it ride MUCH better. Such a good option in there.

jackx

I can't believe how much HT has improved over the last couple of weeks. Either there's been a lot of grooming or the traffic it's getting is making it ride MUCH better. Such a good option in there.
Is going up HT better than going up White Meisterburger? I would think HT is harder since White Meisterburger includes some of the old White Rumbly Climb, and so it's not all switchbacks.

Then again, White Meisterburger may climb to a higher elevation.

Cassinonorth

Saw a nice big black bear enjoying the White trail in the middle of the park today....for good reason trails were fantastic aside from a little overgrowth and some face whackers here or there.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Guess now I will know the name of the trails.
Mind you I am local and ridden these trails since the beginning. I dont record rides so I am oblivious.
Slacktown and I noticed a whole bunch of nicely made signs at the ends. I was all morning "oh this is such an such trail." :thumbsup:

TPI_Elky

Trails were in great shape today. Some of the usual standing puddles, but other than that perfect. I started at the gate then rode to the mulch pit, through land of the lost to the fire tower and back on Mester Burger and the lower maze. Some plant life is starting to encroach the trails, but not too bad.

stilluf

Trails were in overall good condition on Saturday, even though some rain fell on Friday. First time riding here in years. Only rode part of the trails, but I'll be back!

stilluf

Does anyone know the name of the giant rock feature close to the Trestle Trail? the feature that allows a rider to ride on top of the rock, with a path back down? Very cool feature!!

HiFiGuy

Does anyone know the name of the giant rock feature close to the Trestle Trail? the feature that allows a rider to ride on top of the rock, with a path back down? Very cool feature!!
Teepee rock and the trail is “the rake”. By the if you don’t have the Trail forks app Downloaded, get it, good resource. Enjoy the ride

goldsbar

It might be Teepee (AKA Tipi on some maps), but I don't think that's the one you mean since you said "ride on top of the rock." Teepee/Tipi is the one where you ride sharply up the rock and some embedded logs and then one roller down. It's a really sharp point and you'd have to do a bit of a hop not to hit your chain ring.

There's another one really close to the Trestle trail by the wood ramp on at the end of Funyuns where you ride a dirt path to the top and go down two roll downs. Much more interesting and slow before they put the cheater rock ramp at the bottom of the first roller. Don't know the name!

stilluf

It might be Teepee (AKA Tipi on some maps), but I don't think that's the one you mean since you said "ride on top of the rock." Teepee/Tipi is the one where you ride sharply up the rock and some embedded logs and then one roller down. It's a really sharp point and you'd have to do a bit of a hop not to hit your chain ring.

There's another one really close to the Trestle trail by the wood ramp on at the end of Funyuns where you ride a dirt path to the top and go down two roll downs. Much more interesting and slow before they put the cheater rock ramp at the bottom of the first roller. Don't know the name!
Thanks for the responses. Not Teepee (though we did see that one; both riders who tried it dinged their chain rings!). It's the other one you mentioned.

thegock

Whoever did all the work, especially the berms,on Tally Ho: Wow and thanks.

I don't get out much (#pandemic), and I really enjoyed the trail.

Thanks for the great signs, too.

MAZE &RRX MVIMG_20200621_122549-01.jpg

stilluf

Rained here yesterday but trails mostly tacky with patches of mud here and there; nothing serious. Rocks and roots were initially slippery but dried out a bit towards the end of ride.
first time on tally ho. Fun downhill but my hands hurt by the end!!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tree down on Hally To crossing two sections of switchback. Someone with a decent folding saw should be able to clear it.
1594166352900.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions