Stem length/preference

Rockbottom

Was to curious to know what is the preference of stem length for some riders? I've been riding with a 100mm stem for a while, but was thinking the length may be a bit longer than I need. I also noticed I get some minor back pain after 2+ hour rides. I was thinking this may be caused from leaning too far forward. I tend to ride trails with some technical/challenging terrain (Sourlands, Jungle, etc.) so I was wondering if a shorter stem would help as well?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
the rage is short stem and wide bars

if you have pain, maybe visit a shop that can do bike fits and see if they can see what your back is looking like.

there is no right answer at what works best. everyone will reply what works for them and what they have on their bike currently.

having said that, a shorter stem will have you more upright and better in the tech stuff. the longer stem will allow you to put out more watts.

terrabike01

I prefer 50-60mm stem and 740-760mm bars. Definitely better riding technical trails. It also depends on your bike size vs your size. Shorter stem might put you too far back. Only thing that sucks about wider bars is getting through a trail with a lot of tight trees like at 6 mile and some at the Jungle.

Supermoto

I try to match my overall reach/ETT and stack on my bikes. So I will have different length stems on them, But I don't go over 80mm. 100mm stem makes the front end feel floppy to me.

FSA omega stems are pretty cheap and they seem to be decently made, so it is easy to try different lengths to see what is best for you. Try different stack heights, flip the stem up side down. Everything makes a difference in how the bike feels and handles

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I started at 90-100, went to 70 and now back to 90-100 with a bunch of sweep on the bars.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
depends on the bike , if you slap a short stem on an older xc or trail bike designed around a 100mm stem handling will prob suffer . Newer bikes are longer and slacker so shorter stems bring back some of that liveliness lost by longer slacker geometry . That being said both my trail bike and enduro bike both have 60mm stems

jumpa

40 and 50mm on my current bikes. 60 is the longest I like to ride on newer long and low frame geometries

qclabrat

are your bars risers, angle of stem, what bike you ride
too many factors to tell you what's right
drop some more details on your bike and you

Rockbottom

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm thinking to swap out to a 50mm stem and see how it feels in comparison. Agreed that the wider (and lighter) bars are much more helpful with the technical trails. It helped me a lot with just getting the front end of the bike up around some techy sections.

I do agree that the longer stem has made the front end of the bike feel a little floppy.

The bike I have right now is a 2012 Intense Tracer 2 26". Easton haven carbon handlebar (I think angle), Fox Talas 140mm fork. I'm 5'8" around 170 lbs

blackburn1973

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm thinking to swap out to a 50mm stem and see how it feels in comparison. Agreed that the wider (and lighter) bars are much more helpful with the technical trails. It helped me a lot with just getting the front end of the bike up around some techy sections.

I do agree that the longer stem has made the front end of the bike feel a little floppy.

The bike I have right now is a 2012 Intense Tracer 2 26". Easton haven carbon handlebar (I think angle), Fox Talas 140mm fork. I'm 5'8" around 170 lbs

I ride the Sourlands pretty regularly (on a '12 Heckler with either a 140MM or 160MM fork depending on incarnation of the bike) and have alternated between a 70MM and 50MM stem (currently) and some pretty wide bars. Relatively few times at SL will bars snag and I think you gain on technical with the shorter stem/wider bar combo, as well as on the descents.

szymon

I think a lot comes down to fit and body type, personally I ride 120mm stem but I have long arms and usually end up with a longer stem on most bikes because of it.

mustclime

I have short legs, long arms and a long torso ( yes, I am built like a ape). I end up getting small frames for the stand over and then using a 90-100mm stem to compensate for the short short top tube.

Chris Nordt

I was using 100/110 with a straight bar, but my age and back made me think twice about this setup lol. I moved to a 90 with a riser bar and my back is much happier for it.

Top Bottom