Steerer tube a little too short!

Kadkoy

I bought a used fork and realized after putting it on, that it was cut about 20mm short of clearing the stem. The headset bolt isn't even reaching the star nut.
Any thing I can do??

Attachments

• 20170327_222237.jpg
    20170327_222237.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 202

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They make extenders but not really for mtn bike use and I'm not sure it would work here anyhow. I've seen people fabircate their own but not sure I'd trust it. Best bet is to bite the bullet, sell it and purchase the correct fork. Chalk it up as lesson learned.

Kadkoy

View attachment 50011
They make extenders but not really for mtn bike use and I'm not sure it would work here anyhow. I've seen people fabircate their own but not sure I'd trust it. Best bet is to bite the bullet, sell it and purchase the correct fork. Chalk it up as lesson learned.

I looked into those extenders, but they didn't look like a safe option for mtb.
I just ordered a zero stack headset and a 30mm stack height Stem. Im going to give that a try before a resell the Fork.

Thanks Kirt!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
NEW BIKE!

it took 12 replies.. 12.
trails are not ridable. wtf
and no, new frame doesn't count.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm assuming you don't have any spacers under the stem in the photo. If you do not, then you are unfortunately out of luck. Some stems have a shorter height than others, but not to make up for 20mm. I have a Fox 32 at about 7" of steerer for sale if that's better here.

blackburn1973

It's worth figuring out the exact amount you're short, and then measuring the difference you can make with a zero stack headset and a short-stack stem (sounds like pancakes ... yum ...). This list, which is horribly out of date, should provide some stems to consider (if they're still as short as they had been back in 2008): http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/stems-short-stack-heights-463613.html

I'm of the opinion - though (DISCLAIMER) definitely not recommending - that if you could get the difference down to 5mm, maybe even 6mm, it would work w/o problems. That said, I doubt you'd be able to scare up 15mm of savings from tweaking headset and stem.

Anyway, good luck.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I just want to say that's it one thing to make the part fit, but you also have to consider that it might not be comfortable for you.

Top Bottom