Steadyrack Bike Storage...anyone have any experience with this?

Ian F

That uni-strut trolley system is pretty neat. I may look into something like that for storing spare wheels. Except somehow making my own trolleys with just two bearing rollers instead of 4, since even my DH wheels don't weight much. Then I could hang the wheels and get them really close together most of the time, sliding a few apart when I need access.

For bike storage, I'm using Gladiator Gear Track:

In two 4' rows so I can alternate the bikes next to each other using these hooks:

The upside is I can store 6 bikes in a smidge over 4' of wall space. The downside is I often remove the front wheels and pedals so the bikes nest together tightly.

I already have two cars on lifts in my 1.5 car garage, so the bikes can't go there. Access to my basement is too much of a PITA to make storage there worthwhile (nor is there room), so the bikes live in my living room.

Attachments

• PXL_20210326_175500783.jpg
    PXL_20210326_175500783.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 111

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That uni-strut trolley system is pretty neat. I may look into something like that for storing spare wheels. Except somehow making my own trolleys with just two bearing rollers instead of 4, since even my DH wheels don't weight much. Then I could hang the wheels and get them really close together most of the time, sliding a few apart when I need access.
May be more hassle than it's worth, as you're limited by rotors and cassettes when trying to squeeze them together..... Just a thought..

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's

For bike storage, I'm using Gladiator Gear Track:

In two 4' rows so I can alternate the bikes next to each other using these hooks:

The upside is I can store 6 bikes in a smidge over 4' of wall space. The downside is I often remove the front wheels and pedals so the bikes nest together tightly.

I already have two cars on lifts in my 1.5 car garage, so the bikes can't go there. Access to my basement is too much of a PITA to make storage there worthwhile (nor is there room), so the bikes live in my living room.

FYI - Unistrut does make a 2 wheel trolley but the 4-wheeler will keep the hook from deflecting when you try to hang something.

For hanging MTB's in a small space, the key seems to be turning the handlebars at a 45 degree angle...like the Yakima Hanover or Lolo rear racks. The problem is when you try to mix road and MTB bars on the same rack.

This is a pretty neat system but even more expensive than 4 Steadyracks...
p5pb19833770.jpg

Twillso

Yeah, the Steadyracks are definitely a little bit of a splurge. Originally looked at the Feedback sports velo hinge but was worried the hook would be too small, but maybe that wouldn't have been an issue. Loved the Steadyracks after using them up in Vermont. They are easier to load and unload for the kids but honestly it's not like regular hooks are that hard :) I like the swing away not just for access but also adds a little more space by keeping the bikes close to the wall.

Ian F

FYI - Unistrut does make a 2 wheel trolley but the 4-wheeler will keep the hook from deflecting when you try to hang something.

For hanging MTB's in a small space, the key seems to be turning the handlebars at a 45 degree angle...like the Yakima Hanover or Lolo rear racks. The problem is when you try to mix road and MTB bars on the same rack.

This is a pretty neat system but even more expensive than 4 Steadyracks...
p5pb19833770.jpg
No... I don't have anywhere near enough space for that setup. I don't really have room for the setup I have. I will look at options like that when I (hopefully) renovate my house and (hopefully) expand and reconfigure the basement and access to it.

The uni-strut wheel hanger will still be more space efficient than hooks screwed into a board which is what I have now. The benefit is the flexibility in how close the wheels can be to each other. I don't keep rotors or cassettes on the wheels, so that isn't an issue.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another +1 for standard hooks, I was able to squeeze who knows how many bikes in this space. This is the only photo I can easily find though
C01603F6-D3B3-490D-8544-5DD08A80EF41_zpsbvenswf7.jpg

how’d you hang the wheels? Wheels are a pain in the ass to store.

Shaggz

A strong 7
We have a tiny garage, and the steady rack was the best option for our needs. We have 4 racks on an 8ft section of wall, and still have room for 1 more rack. It is tight, but it works. Key is to offset the top of the racks, 6 inches does the trick.

The MTB model fits up to 29×2.6 and road bikes. I am not sure if I would have spent the money if space were not an issue.

Last edited:

Ian F

May be more hassle than it's worth, as you're limited by rotors and cassettes when trying to squeeze them together..... Just a thought..
I generally don't store wheels with cassettes or rotors on them, although often with tires mounted. Without tires I can sometimes fit two wheels on one hook. My current system is hooks screwed into a 1x3 attached to the joists in my basement. It sucks. I have the hooks about as close as possible to still allow getting a wheel on/off. The 1x3 is 8' long and takes up more space in my basement than I can really afford and I still don't have enough hooks. Yeah... I have too many wheels right now... but nobody wants old 27.5 wheels.

I want to see a picture of Pearl's set-up if he has 7 bikes in 4' of wall space.

I absolutely don't have the floor space for anything like what stb222 shows.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I absolutely don't have the floor space for anything like what stb222 shows.
that 2x4 set up is 4’. So 6’ with the other rack I have. I could cram it in more but you know how that would go with hits. I have my 3 bikes in about 4’. No way could you get 7

Ian F

that 2x4 set up is 4’. So 6’ with the other rack I have. I could cram it in more but you know how that would go with hits. I have my 3 bikes in about 4’. No way could you get 7
My problem is I simply do not have the floor space anywhere in my house for a setup like that - even for 3 bikes.

THATmanMANNY

I mean to say I didn’t see that before and consider it would be a lie

but I sold like 4 bikes in the past month so no need haha only 9 more to go.

Top Bottom