Steadyrack Bike Storage...anyone have any experience with this?

pygmypony

hey all...i'm looking to tweak my bike storage system in the garage...i just put up a DIY shelf, and i'm looking to hang a few bikes under it

i was thinking of something like this Steadyrack system, which seems to be pretty well reviewed, and pretty nifty (but $$$ at about $80 each!)...wondering if anyone on here has used this or something similar (hanging, swinging, bike storage)

with this system i might be able to get 5 bikes under there, which would be pretty cool

thanks!

q9jw+58iQU6HxBIcZMYt9Q.jpg

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
The steadyracks look great. Would the lag hooks cause any issue with the deforming the rim/tire?
No. Hooks can scratch the rim if the rubber coating wears off but that's it. Cheapo hooks are what i use as well and i also do the "angled parking". Don't really see the point of the fancy $teadyrack ones unless you have money to burn. I'd rather burn mine on the bikes and parts.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The steadyracks look great. Would the lag hooks cause any issue with the deforming the rim/tire?

nope, definitely not, the rims take more load when you are sitting on the bike than they will hanging on the wall. (granted from a different source, but it also has to travel further before it goes into the spokes when the bike is on the ground)

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i used this (or something very similar) when i had a fatbike, worked fine and the price was right!

use the regular ones for the rest of my bikes

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
steadyrack for the win. worth every penny imo. especially if kids or spouses are using the bikes. easy up, easy down.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Another +1 for standard hooks, I was able to squeeze who knows how many bikes in this space. This is the only photo I can easily find though
C01603F6-D3B3-490D-8544-5DD08A80EF41_zpsbvenswf7.jpg

pygmypony

hook/bike hanging update!

the pro bike tool swivel hangers are pretty nice...they allow me to swing the bikes hung under the new shelf out of the way

the whole purpose of this little project was to allow me to open the second garage door...which hadn’t been opened in roughly 15 years!!!😂

31366847-A465-4C03-B6AD-F37B6FDAD438.jpeg
118F342A-9CE5-44B7-BFFE-AE428FB31778.jpeg

iman29

somewhere buried in the DIY thread i used the standard hardware hooks for this purpose as well.

I was under the mistaken impression hanging the bikes under full weight would be bad for the rim since the kids bikes are unused more than they are used so I threw this setup together based on having the rear wheel touching the ground on purpose. Plus the basement ceiling is really low anyway.

To make sure the handlebars don’t collide had to use an old kiddie step stool but it gets the job done and gets the bikes out of my garage where I still park my car ( which also barely gets used ).

68329B25-552B-4E1D-B8FB-EE7202741D76.jpeg
8145E1C0-A398-4FAA-8EBD-13E4BFD38012.jpeg

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This thread has me thinking about finally re-jiggering my garage storage.

SteadyRack looks great but I need to hang like 10 bikes of all different wheel sizes and types.

I think I'm going to build a hanging "meat rack" system using hooks on a steel channel with hooks on rolling trolleys.
Like dis:

plan:
Unistrut track: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IA84TWO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1PHT8LUUD0H90&psc=1
Unistrut Trolleys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08S3DMGP4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1TNOUUVE9Q2XL&psc=1
Park Hooks

Rusty

I have these:

Feedback Sports Velo Hinge​

and they work really well, three bikes against the back wall of the garage.
Largest tire size I have had in em is 2.5, and that was no problem.

blackburn1973

This thread has me thinking about finally re-jiggering my garage storage.

SteadyRack looks great but I need to hang like 10 bikes of all different wheel sizes and types.

I think I'm going to build a hanging "meat rack" system using hooks on a steel channel with hooks on rolling trolleys.
Like dis:

plan:
Unistrut track: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IA84TWO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1PHT8LUUD0H90&psc=1
Unistrut Trolleys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08S3DMGP4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1TNOUUVE9Q2XL&psc=1
Park Hooks

I did something similar to this mounting black pipe to the wall studs, then using stainless rings and hooks for hanging paint cans to ladders to hang the bikes from the rims. Was useful to be able to slide them back and forth. FWIW, the Unistrut system looks solid, would likely be easier to install and not too much more expensive.

Top Bottom