Staten Island

Bikeworks

For all things Shaolin (yes, there are trails out here).

Little night riding from the Willowbrook side of the Greenbelt. Start is 7PM tomorrow (Wednesday), DON'T park in the parking lot, you might get locked in.

Last edited:

Bikeworks

Today we got to have our event for our friend. The trails really came together, and we are all looking forward to adding more features as the season progresses. We added some bridges, lots of log rolls, skinnies, including one made out of tree stumps, and some water crossings. Looking to add some drops to the trails as well. The jump lines at the top of the White trail are excellent, lots of doubles, a couple of tables, and one that will really launch you onto the trail.

I'll be posting pictures soon. Would really love to bring some attention to these trails. Not a lot of climbing, but they're pretty technical if you're looking for a challenge.

Dedicated to FDNY Ladder 5 (9/11) and our friend George:

Blue, for the local HS kids that volunteered to help:

Orange, also named for our friend:

Red:

Bikeworks

Here's some of the trails we have added. Perspective is really tough to convey in my crappy pics.

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

Hard to perceive, but this is a nice, railed (and tall) berm.
IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

This is the jump line. It's been here for a while, someone is in the process of carpeting them now.

IMG-2265.jpg

IMG_2267.JPG

Bikeworks

So things really came together this summer out here. Wolfe's Pond has really hit its stride with the jump line, flowy berm trail, and more roots than you can shake, ahhh well, you get the gist.

We are closing the year with a big get together weekend with NYC MTB. We are having a ride at Wolfe's on Saturday, and then Sunday we are hitting High Bridge in NYC. It would be great if some of the MTBNJ folks would show up for Saturday (Sunday too, but focus for me is SI).

As an aside, the surrounding parks by Wolfe's have MTB approval from Parks Department, so we will be looking to expand the network into 2023. Waiting on one more HUGE announcement as well...

313024393_10168307315980725_3183239599980204587_n.jpg

313267126_10168307316270725_4127231921654932390_n.jpg

iman29

So things really came together this summer out here. Wolfe's Pond has really hit its stride with the jump line, flowy berm trail, and more roots than you can shake, ahhh well, you get the gist.

We are closing the year with a big get together weekend with NYC MTB. We are having a ride at Wolfe's on Saturday, and then Sunday we are hitting High Bridge in NYC. It would be great if some of the MTBNJ folks would show up for Saturday (Sunday too, but focus for me is SI).

As an aside, the surrounding parks by Wolfe's have MTB approval from Parks Department, so we will be looking to expand the network into 2023. Waiting on one more HUGE announcement as well...

View attachment 200032
View attachment 200034
Grew up in SI but way before I was ever interested in riding a bike on any trails or roads beyond my shitty BMX bike to go to McDonald’s.

Trails look great might have to go “visit”
Some friends and ride.

Bikeworks

Grew up in SI but way before I was ever interested in riding a bike on any trails or roads beyond my shitty BMX bike to go to McDonald’s.

Trails look great might have to go “visit”
Some friends and ride.
Have a morning commitment in Philly, but might be able to swing by.
I put it on the calendar.

Well done - congrats on expanding the opportunity to ride in SI!
Thank you, that would be awesome!!! I think it would give our organizer a nice jolt of energy to know the reach is expanding, too. Whatever anyone can do is appreciated. Hell, it'll at least be a good opportunity to ride!

That looks so cool. I really wish there was an easier way to get to southern SI by bike.
Well if they ever get around to re-doing the Outerbridge Crossing, that will really open things up for all of us.

Here's my Strava file from today's ride. Hit almost everything, skipped two climbs

Last edited:

trener1

Hey, Coming over here from the light thread.
I'm in Brooklyn, so I would love to get to know some trails on SI so I dont have to drive to NJ every time I want to ride, I love the trails in NJ but I'd get to ride more if I didn't have to drive as much, would also be fun to do an occasional night ride, I have lights but never get a chance to use them. I used to go to Cunningham but it takes over an hour to get there on a weekday evening.

Bikeworks

Hey, Coming over here from the light thread.
I'm in Brooklyn, so I would love to get to know some trails on SI so I dont have to drive to NJ every time I want to ride, I love the trails in NJ but I'd get to ride more if I didn't have to drive as much, would also be fun to do an occasional night ride, I have lights but never get a chance to use them. I used to go to Cunningham but it takes over an hour to get there on a weekday evening.
Awesome, happy to show you around!!! Shoot me a PM with your info, I can add you to the SI Facebook group if you want. https://www.facebook.com/groups/432488895214564

Night ride tomorrow will be starting from Willowbrook park. If you're interested, let me know.

trener1

Yeah I will definitely shoot you a PM, I just asked to join the FB group.
I can't make it tomorrow unfortunately, my wife is working so I'll be home with the little ones, also not sure I'd be able to keep up with the "spirited" ride.

BTW many years ago I rode with a guy on SI one time that was in the FDNY, I wonder if that was your friend.

Bikeworks

We had a really good turnout for our first big ride invite. Special thanks to the High Bridge NYCMTB group for coming in force, as well as @trener1 for braving the VZ and hitting the trails here in SI. Looking forward to the work coming up, it's going to take these trails to the next level (it's LOTS of dirt and clay). Also have to start staking out a brand new course in the Fresh Kills park as the City has given us the go ahead for an XC, XCC, and gravel race. Currently working on some stuff with IMBA, as well as additional trail access from NYC. I'm thinking 2023 is going to be amazing.

ddbb2d89-9db6-47ec-b289-f29c15abcdd2.JPG

e58b32ed-b2d2-4916-a9a7-19d737181ac0.JPG

014cd819-8953-47f8-8f5b-62c36e2cb5f6.JPG

f6a66ff1-9680-4860-a8c5-9d925ec44137.JPG

Top Bottom