State Park Closures AND Reopenings!

Yes, that would be what I would expect given the situation. You're not going to die if you don't ride you bike for a few weeks. I mean generic you.

I just don't see the reason why I need to sit and hide in my house. Of course I'm not going to die if I don't ride my bike for three weeks, but that's not a good enough reason for me to not ride my bike for three weeks. And yes, I realize this is serious and people are dying, but we cannot simply stay home until there is a cure.

You'er right Jim..I can't. But what I can expect is the WMA s to get shut down as well, as soon as everyone shows up there.

Yeah, I suspect that is going to happen.

Got a WMA near you ? Go ahead...ride it....but dont ruin it for the guys a few towns over.

This just isn't realistic though. Wildcat is my go to spot, eventhough it is a few town away. I considered making everyone private their Strava activities last night to try and keep the fact that it's open a secret, but I decided against it. People are going to find out, and people that want to ride are gonna go there. I literally laughed out loud when I heard the governor say that if your town's park is closed and the neighboring town's park is open, don't go there. It's like he doesn't live in the real world.

You'er not supposed to be traveling anyplace but to the damn store.

I prefer to travel to the woods than travel to the store where hordes of people are all day every day.

Wanna ride up here....do it ! Ride all the way here from wherever the hell you're from.

So in your opinion, it's ok for me to ride from Parsippany to Hamburg WMA, but it's not ok for me to drive to Hamburg WMA and ride?

Yup...I'm ok with anyone riding their BIKE to get to here.. because not as many as will..or can...do it. It's the masses that caused the shutdown in the first place. I'm with ya ! I'd rather be in woods than at the store to ! I dont just think its safer..I know it is ! That is untill all the WMA's end up like the state parks did ! Filled with yahoos who are doing more hanging around than riding. You want realistic?..that's realistic, and I think everyone knows it.

Reactions: don
I just don't see the reason why I need to sit and hide in my house. Of course I'm not going to die if I don't ride my bike for three weeks, but that's not a good enough reason for me to not ride my bike for three weeks. And yes, I realize this is serious and people are dying, but we cannot simply stay home until there is a cure.
The reason why you're supposed to be home is that you can became a carrier without even ever realizing it. Yes, you have more chances to catch it a grocery store (you still need to eat I suppose) than in the woods, but how do you know if the person you encounter in the woods is a carrier, or the friend you're riding with is a carrier without knowing? You may not get in contact with it ever, it's not about you only though, it's the other few thousand that can't help not going to ride that have the same rights as you but maybe less careful. Also, limiting the chances of a crash and getting injured may spare some valuable time to first responders...I know, you never crashed before and I am sure you will never crash in the future, but it's not just you, it's again the other few thousand that are not you but think they are you, and have exactly the same right as you.

Personally, you've seen me, I crash at pretty much the drop of a pin, never injured myself but I'm nit taking any chances. Crawlspace adventures only these days.

I do think that before addressing the park the governor should have regulated access to the shops, which is coming this week but it's too late.

Turkey season opens Saturday. Turkey hunting runs Monday -Saturday for the next 5 weeks. Hunters will be in the woods and are not required to wear safety orange during turkey season. Just so everyone knows Hunter harassment is illegal and the fastest way to get WMA’s closed for biking. Remember that WMA’s are funded entirely through the sale of hunting/fishing licenses and the Pittsman-Robertson act. So if you push hard enough. Cyclist will lose access all together if they get too many complaints.

Personally I do not want to lose WMA’s as places for all types of outdoor activities.

Last edited:
but how do you know if the person you encounter in the woods is a carrier, or the friend you're riding with is a carrier without knowing? You may not get in contact with it ever, it's not about you only though, it's the other few thousand that can't help not going to ride that have the same rights as you but maybe less careful.

So, it's true that I might be a carrier and not know it. It's also true that someone I encounter in the woods or that I'm riding with is a carrier and might not know it. It's also possible that the thousands of people that have been in Wegmans this week are carriers and didn't know it, and that they touched a bunch of stuff that I then touched. I spent a combined 7 hours in the woods last weekend. On Saturday I rode with one friend and we tried to keep our distance, and we ran into zero other people. On Sunday I rode alone and saw a total of three people hiking, and I was able to stay clear of all of them. You'd be surprised how easy it is to avoid people in the woods, other places not so much. I went for a walk around the neighborhood with my wife Sunday afternoon, and there were literally hundreds of people out. By restricting the number of places that people can go, you just increase the number of people in the places they can go. I feel like the woods is a very safe place right now, and I'm going to continue to spend as much of my time as possible there.

I know, you never crashed before and I am sure you will never crash in the future, but it's not just you

I crash often, but it's never sent me to the hospital in ten years of riding. Although there were two times I should have gone. Now excuse me while I go find some wood to knock on.

Funny, I was hiking with the dog as far off the beaten path as you can get locally. Tick infested deer paths at best when I came upon, in the middle of nowhere, signs of man. Boys will be boys. Well built though. Just don't crash. You don't want to need a hospital right now....

20200409_131544.jpg

So, it's true that I might be a carrier and not know it. It's also true that someone I encounter in the woods or that I'm riding with is a carrier and might not know it. It's also possible that the thousands of people that have been in Wegmans this week are carriers and didn't know it, and that they touched a bunch of stuff that I then touched. I spent a combined 7 hours in the woods last weekend. On Saturday I rode with one friend and we tried to keep our distance, and we ran into zero other people. On Sunday I rode alone and saw a total of three people hiking, and I was able to stay clear of all of them. You'd be surprised how easy it is to avoid people in the woods, other places not so much. I went for a walk around the neighborhood with my wife Sunday afternoon, and there were literally hundreds of people out. By restricting the number of places that people can go, you just increase the number of people in the places they can go. I feel like the woods is a very safe place right now, and I'm going to continue to spend as much of my time as possible there.

I crash often, but it's never sent me to the hospital in ten years of riding. Although there were two times I should have gone. Now excuse me while I go find some wood to knock on.

Well, as I think I mentioned before we do not seem to understand each other. I'm sure we can both get over it. Enjoy.

Interesting. So looks like they might not be actively blocking off the trail sections (yet), just where it might happen to enter an actual park. At that point, you have to go out to route 79 anyway to fill in the gap and continue north.
Yes, the trail was open all the way back to Freehold. I imagine it is open on the north side of big brook.

Yes, the trail was open all the way back to Freehold. I imagine it is open on the north side of big brook.
Yep, it was just recently posted on the trail's web site that it's remaining open "to those who use it as a transit way, to get to and from essential activities. " Time to get on my bike for a trip to the grocery store ;) [Actually, I usually do most of my grocery shopping by bike anyway...]

Last edited:
Hamburg mountain is being trashed by enduro moto guys carving trails all over the place, most guys riding aren’t local. Same with the roads on the weekends with douche bags on rice rockets.

• Sad
Reactions: don
So it looks like hunting season started on April 15, so the Manasquan WMA is off limits except Sundays until June 1.

Back
Top Bottom