State Park Closures AND Reopenings!

thegock

People are sick and tired of this. Its almost June, its time, you all need to get over it. If they are going to lock things down again in the fall like they've been alluding to, then restrictions need to relax now, otherwise there's no way they will be able to enforce anything come fall.

Well, I guess we will get to see what happens in areas of the country that take different actions with the virus.

Captain Brainstorm

Well, I guess we will get to see what happens in areas of the country that take different actions with the virus.
The same damn thing that happens with any respiratory viral epidemic. The numbers will fall throughout the summer as restrictions are lifted. This isn’t some super virus, it will behave like the others. There is a lot more at play than just numbers and contact, like actual human/pathogen biology. Come fall when seasonality comes into play, they will reimplement restrictions to head it off at the pass. The only interesting thing is whether there is any seasonal mutation like influenza, given we’ve been largely cutoff from three rest of the world. Don’t want to turn this into the coronavirus thread, this is all a shitty way of trying to manage this while waiting for the false security of a vaccine to magically happen in the next couple of months.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
People are sick and tired of this. Its almost June, its time, you all need to get over it. If they are going to lock things down again in the fall like they've been alluding to, then restrictions need to relax now, otherwise there's no way they will be able to enforce anything come fall.

this is true - the fatigue is real, but people need to know (as in live test) that(if) it will come back.
only one way to do that. we have modified our own behavior, way less kissing. So i'm hoping for
limited bounce.

Look at Asian culture, which has a long history, touching/kissing isn't a thing -
ya think it was lessons learned/cultural memory ?

Last edited:
Reactions: don

thegock

The same damn thing that happens with any respiratory viral epidemic......Don’t want to turn this into the coronavirus thread, this is all a shitty way of trying to manage this while waiting for the false security of a vaccine to magically happen in the next couple of months.

Or:

USZO MBIE MVIMG_20200323_134558-01.jpg

jk

I am riding a lot more this May, doe, so it's the best pandemic ever. ?

ilnadi

I was there and can see my car and my buddies' as well. Looks are deceiving. Everyone maintained social distancing in the lot. The trails were more or less empty, and the few people we came across all practiced social distancing as well.
first, I did not mention the trails because they were fine; I agree with you. I saw a bunch of people on the trails and we all managed fine. Unfortunately any judgement will be rendered based on the optics of the parking lot, all people see is door-to-door cars. Look at the thread about Canal Lot, we are also judging that lot by the parking. All I am saying is we can make this look better. Not sure how, we shouldn't even carpool, it sucks. Google says I can bike there in 30min.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Look at Asian culture, which has a long history, touching/kissing isn't a thing -
ya think it was lessons learned/cultural memory ?
Yep, and as someone born in Asia, speak a few Asian languages, have many friends and some family still there and have travelled throughout the region, I can attest that another trait that typifies Asian culture is discipline and respect for their impact on others. Way way way before this pandemic, when I’d do business in Japan, China, and many other countries I was struck by the sight of the occasional person wearing a mask (pedestrians, taxi drivers, bank tellers, etc). They wear them not because they don’t want to get sick, but rather when they ARE sick, to prevent spreading their germs to those nearby. Interesting that countries in Asia have noticeably flatter Covid curves than the western world ...?
0CA293EB-F223-48E1-BC40-51FBC6FE1E7B.png

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Yep, and as someone born in Asia, speak a few Asian languages, have many friends and some family still there and have travelled throughout the region, I can attest that another trait that typifies Asian culture is discipline and respect for their impact on others. Way way way before this pandemic, when I’d do business in Japan, China, and many other countries I was struck by the sight of the occasional person wearing a mask (pedestrians, taxi drivers, bank tellers, etc). They wear them not because they don’t want to get sick, but rather when they ARE sick, to prevent spreading their germs to those nearby. Interesting that countries in Asia have noticeably flatter Covid curves than the western world ...?
View attachment 129180

Asian countries possibly have a flatter curve because their immune systems are not as naive to this virus as everyone else, since they’ve been dealing with different sub types of Covid for the last 50yrs. As far as social practices of not touching, etc., I’d agree that it’s social memory since every major pandemic in the last 2000 years has emerged out of Asia.

Reactions: don

Karate Monkey

Asian countries possibly have a flatter curve because their immune systems are not as naive to this virus as everyone else, since they’ve been dealing with different sub types of Covid for the last 50yrs. As far as social practices of not touching, etc., I’d agree that it’s social memory since every major pandemic in the last 2000 years has emerged out of Asia.

I'm sorry...what? You can't make statements like all-of-that without substantiation.

Man, this thread is beyond off the rails.

serviceguy

View attachment 129180
Unfortunately my direct experience when working in Asian countries (China, Indonesia and Korea) left me with a very different impression. But individual experiences may be greatly different and not give a good indication of a whole country. I also don’t speak any Asian language. I mostly rely on what I saw walking the streets and what locals that could speak English told me. Looking at the numbers let’s not forget how extremely inconsistent the sources seem to be (i.e. European countries seem to count infected/deaths differently from each other). Also, each country may feel pressured to report numbers that will not impact negatively their culture or what they want the image of their culture to be and in some cases their source of income (i.e. tourism in Italy).

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I'm sorry...what? You can't make statements like all-of-that without substantiation.

Man, this thread is beyond off the rails.

Substantiation? Its historical fact. Go look up Bubonic Plague (all 3 of them) and Spanish flu. Start with that. The rest is science, which you ain't gonna learn on Google and Wiki.

Mahnken

Substantiation? Its historical fact. Go look up Bubonic Plague (all 3 of them) and Spanish flu. Start with that. The rest is science, which you ain't gonna learn on Google and Wiki.
Proof that the Spanish flu came from China and not America?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Proof that the Spanish flu came from China and not America?

Scientifically unlikely that it came from America. We don’t have the bird/pig mixing vessels in proximity like they do in China, or the population density. Influenza goes through antigenic drift here, but rarely antigenic shift giving rise to a new strain like in China. Also, the Chinese mortality rate at the time was much lower because the population there was likely previously exposed.

Seasonal influenza usually emerges in China first, plain and simple. That’s how the CDC and WHO gestimate what to put in the seasonal vaccine. They look at what’s emerging there 6-8 months before it gets here.

Top Bottom