Starting 'em out early

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
d-fist's comment in another thread inspired this one. Pics of my youngest riding yesterday:

Up the rail:

Down the rail

Roll

Same roll different angle

Some singletrack

Overheard on the ride yesterday: "Dad, riding up hill sucks".

Overheard on the ride this morning with friends (adults) "Ken, your routes go up every hill, (the wrong way), this sucks"

Coincidence? :D

TommyCrash

That's great! I was there last week and I wouldn't even ride those rails! And he goes uphill too:p Enjoy your time together.

Wobbegong

Great post Ken, thanks for the smile I got from that one.

I cant wait to ride with my boy, but I have some time yet. He's only 5 months old now. I plan to get him one of the Kinderbikes once he's a little older and starting to walk. Great stuff, I'm sure that it makes you proud all hell to see him ride like that!

dualfisted

Ken, nice pics of the groms, too cool. I'll ride that rail, but the section with two rails in a row, screw that, my tire always bumps one side, and throws the whole deal off, I'm better on wood. I too am a big fan of going uphill, I believe it's highly underappreciated as a skill. What the heck you are out there to get/ stay in shape, right, AND, Lance Armstrong didn't win those TDF's by going downhill really fast, haha. Lates peeps, TJ

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Where is this?
I can't wait to ride with my kid too. He is 3.5yrs and he loves riding his tricycle off road and also with me on the bike trailer...He tells me to go on the dirt. I was going to get him a bike and I don't know what happened..:hmmm: I'll get him one for sure this spring.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Nice!!!

That was Allaire (the place to be seen). Ken those rails freak me too much to consider doing. Good job young man,... I know a lot of folks that will not try the rails. See Every one in the AM.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Yep, Allaire indeed. The groms love it.

Oldest riding a skinny this summer:

Youngun pinning it also this summer:

He is wearing my elbow pads as knee/shin, too funny :D

Vid of a skinny this summer, kinda funny seeing Jake clean it 1st try then mess his bro up:
http://www.youtube.com/v/2a5nJjgRqpE

There is about nothing cooler than seeing these guys enjoy riding in the woods. It is so hard for me to not pressure them into it. Yesterday when we hit Allaire the oldest almost didnt come. My reply was "cool, see you in a few hrs." Minutes after starting to pack he was out there, I was pretty stoked.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Ken,

Awesome, How old are your guys, what size and make are the bikes? My daughter is 8 and I want to get her out there in the spring.

Thanks,

Tim

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Stoked!

Thanks for posting. I just bought my 8 yo son his first mtn bike and I was stoked...now, I'm REALLY stoked...

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Ken,

Awesome, How old are your guys, what size and make are the bikes? My daughter is 8 and I want to get her out there in the spring.

Thanks,

Tim

They are 9 and 14. The 9yo has been riding a 26" Giant STP2 for about a year now. Street/DJ frames are great for kids. The compact geometry fits him decent. I have some narrow bars on it and a 1x8 setup. Lately he has been riding a heavy set of jump wheels but I have a cheapo set of xc wheels I throw on there for him if we will be riding longer than normal. He is good for about 8-10 miles before he starts getting tired. Before that I had him out there on a SS BMX bike. The BMX gearing was rough on his legs climbing, but he hung pretty tough.

The oldest is 5'10" and rides "Special Ed", a frame passed on to him by Allaire's Albino Wookie and built with a mish mash of old parts that I had laying around. The kid owes Frank and I some serious lawn mowing if you ask me. Its considerably lighter than my first 4 or 5 bikes. He hangs decently with the adults on a mellow paced ride.

Both of them started on complete beaters. Once they showed some interest in hitting the trails more often I started looking for better rides. The best advice I could give is to make sure she stays hydrated and get her out there on any old bike.

Another great thing is to hit the Manasquan reservoir or someplace similar that is sort of like trail riding. It was a great build up for my youngest. Once he was able to easily spin the 5 miles around the reservoir it was time to step up to the single track.

Top Bottom