Stans sealant acting like glue

Andypowerful

Is there anything that can be done to stop tire sealant from gluing your valve together? I needed to add air out on the trail and could not get my valve to open. It kept unscrewing the whole valve. I needed to use 2 needle nose to get it to loosen. I'm just going to cary to small pliers now.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Is there anything that can be done to stop tire sealant from gluing your valve together? I needed to add air out on the trail and could not get my valve to open. It kept unscrewing the whole valve. I needed to use 2 needle nose to get it to loosen. I'm just going to cary to small pliers now.
When you store it, make sure the valve is at the highest point .

Dingo

When the threads start to get gummy, I swap in a new valve. The big A sells em for pennys. Not worth the trouble to carry an extra tool.

Edit: new core

Last edited:

mwlikesbikes

The valve cores tend to get gummed up. Pull the core, jam a stiff wire or old spoke to clean out the valve stem, & install a new core.

goldsbar

Carry an extra core or two in your pack/pocket/whatever. Outside of getting gunked up, they're very easy to bend or break when using a hand pump (hint - don't unscrew all the way when filling).

Dave02

Rotate wheel so the valve is low when storing so sealant runs out of the valve.
Rubbing alcohol seems to work to degum the sealant.

Karate Monkey

Rotate wheel so the valve is low when storing so sealant runs out of the valve.
Rubbing alcohol seems to work to degum the sealant.

Ammonia will eat it. Potentially the rubber seal on the valve core, too...but should be okay for a short period.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Valve cores are cheap. Change the valve core every time you add some sealant. Along with other spares, I keep a couple of valve cores in my hydration pack along with a core removal tool. Takes up no room at all.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Use the KOM sealant injector. It’s thin and goes all the way through the valve and into the actual tire.
it really makes adding a little sealant easy and mess free.

Top Bottom