Stand Up Paddleboards: Recommendations/Experiences/Etc.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So the Child agreed to take her new Sup out. Based on some inter webs and my BIL (he’s not, but that’s the easiest way to describe the relationship) was going to try Monksville reservoir. Any thoughts? Hopatcong and Greenwood are too big, round valley is an option maybe next time, and Shepard’s or Wayway were ideas.
we live in Denville and are surrounded by lakes but most of them are Gank. So.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
So the Child agreed to take her new Sup out. Based on some inter webs and my BIL (he’s not, but that’s the easiest way to describe the relationship) was going to try Monksville reservoir. Any thoughts? Hopatcong and Greenwood are too big, round valley is an option maybe next time, and Shepard’s or Wayway were ideas.

Split Rock reservoir?

dmkalemba

Monksville is very good for sup. Go to the second boat launch right before the causeway. That section gets less wind. Go early parking gets crowded. No sup allowed at splitrock

Mr.Moto

Monksville is very good for sup. Go to the second boat launch right before the causeway. That section gets less wind. Go early parking gets crowded. No sup allowed at splitrock

^This. Monksville is a really nice place to SUP and kayak. My daughter worked at the rental place there last year and it gets very busy on the weekends especially because of the COVID thing. The second parking area is a little quieter if you don’t need rent. Don’t know how it will be like this year as far as crowds but get there early if possible.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We ended up getting there about 930 and it was pretty busy, south lot as we were meeting someone renting. As we last the rangers had the lot full signs up. The rental outfit has their own little lot so you’re good if you’re renting.

Location itself was spot on. Would definitely recommend. A few families were hiking in an setting up picnic/swim spots (officially not permitted) but that’s only a few spots. Will try the other lot next time.
thanks for the suggestions!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Glad it worked out. If you want to avoid the crowds, try the northern lot. The red circles are the two lots I believe are mentioned in this thread. The green circle is less trafficked in my experience. Plus you get to weave in between the trees of the sunken forest 😉99C76A61-1F4A-4528-B65F-06517BE919C9.jpeg

Top Bottom