St. George/Hurricane UT

xc62701

I was out here 7? years ago and rode some good stuff on Zen, Barrel, Bear Claw, Stucki, or so. I've also been to Gooseberry Mesa.

What's the good stuff to hit nowadays? I'll be there in mid april and also looking for a shop recommendation to rent. Thoughts?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rented from Over the Edge and would recommend them. We didn't get to ride Gooseberry Mesa because the snow had just melted and it was super muddy, but there were a ton of other trails. It's kind of a small place, but the Boy Scout trails are amazingly fun. We stayed at an airbnb right near them, and I rode there three times. Zen is still awesome too. I was there in early March last year if you want to check out what I did on Strava.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I was out there a couple weeks ago and rented from red rock bicycle. Definitely one of the largest, well stocked bike shops I’ve been to. They were very helpful. I only had one day to ride so did zen, barrel, bear claw. I wasn’t aware that gooseberry Mesa was so close until talking to other riders there, plan on going back to do a legit riding trip at some point. I like the riding out there, maybe not as much as Moab, but it’s a little more mellow, better for riding alone and not worrying about breaking your neck.

xc62701

I rented from Over the Edge and would recommend them. We didn't get to ride Gooseberry Mesa because the snow had just melted and it was super muddy, but there were a ton of other trails. It's kind of a small place, but the Boy Scout trails are amazingly fun. We stayed at an airbnb right near them, and I rode there three times. Zen is still awesome too. I was there in early March last year if you want to check out what I did on Strava.
I was out there a couple weeks ago and rented from red rock bicycle. Definitely one of the largest, well stocked bike shops I’ve been to. They were very helpful. I only had one day to ride so did zen, barrel, bear claw. I wasn’t aware that gooseberry Mesa was so close until talking to other riders there, plan on going back to do a legit riding trip at some point. I like the riding out there, maybe not as much as Moab, but it’s a little more mellow, better for riding alone and not worrying about breaking your neck.
Over the edge and red rock were the top shops I was checking out. I want to reserve something ASAP. I’ll have 3 solid days to play. They both have some good offerings. We’ll be dirt bagging it camping in the dessert somewhere. Excited to go back to this kind of riding.

xc62701

Trip has been booked. I'll be riding in UT somewhere between April 14th - 18th. Probably riding the 15-17 specifically. Now with the trip booked I can start looking into what I'd like to rent. I think one day we definitely have to get to Gooseberry but the other days will be open. I need to get back to barrel/zen and that area too. @JimN has me looking into the boyscout trails too. I've basically agreed that it's too much of a pain to ship my bike so I will definitely rent. A lot of the bikes for rent are enduro/aggressive trail bikes. This should be interesting. As long as I find something that pedals well I'll have a blast.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@JimN has me looking into the boyscout trails too.

You can ride the whole place in under two hours, but it's awesome tech and it drains well if that becomes necessary. It's right off the main road through Hurricane, so you can pop in and out easily. I'd recommend doing a double day with that and Zen, or hit it on the way to/from Over the Edge or Gooseberry.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I rented the new Hightower and was happy with it. I think an aggressive trail bike is a good choice to make the most of trails like zen. The only issue I had was my bike had tubes with sealant in it, maybe that’s how they do it out there or at red rock, but I’ve never had a rental with tubes before. I wanted to drop the pressure but didn’t want to
test the pinch flat zone of the tube.
Also I would recommend going to Zion if you can. We hiked checkerboard Mesa and it was really cool.

xc62701

I rented the new Hightower and was happy with it. I think an aggressive trail bike is a good choice to make the most of trails like zen. The only issue I had was my bike had tubes with sealant in it, maybe that’s how they do it out there or at red rock, but I’ve never had a rental with tubes before. I wanted to drop the pressure but didn’t want to
test the pinch flat zone of the tube.
Also I would recommend going to Zion if you can. We hiked checkerboard Mesa and it was really cool.
Yes some of the bikes look awesome. The Santa Cruz’s or the Pivots have my attention so far. Zion is on the list for downtime. Last time there I hiked Angels Landing and it was magical.

cbiker

Guacamole is pretty good kind of like gooseberry its up high and might stay wet depending on the weather tho. Trailforks app is great to have almost all the trails are on there now.

cbiker

Little creek mesa is also good like a lesser traveled gooseberry bring trailforks to navigate it (and find it) because it doesn't have the paint stripes to follow the trail (just rock cairns)or signs to help you get there in your car.

Fat Trout

Over the edge and red rock were the top shops I was checking out. I want to reserve something ASAP. I’ll have 3 solid days to play. They both have some good offerings. We’ll be dirt bagging it camping in the dessert somewhere. Excited to go back to this kind of riding.
I rented from both red rock and over the edge. Over the edge ran the bikes tubeless on the 3 different bikes i rented there . Red rock had tubes in the 1 i rented which i would have preferred not to have...so i stuck with over the edge on my second trip.

xc62701

I rented from both red rock and over the edge. Over the edge ran the bikes tubeless on the 3 different bikes i rented there . Red rock had tubes in the 1 i rented which i would have preferred not to have...so i stuck with over the edge on my second trip.
Good to know.

Top Bottom