SS or Road bike.....

Go with a fixed, you will be super cool.

Hey hey now, I ride a fixed to and from work every day. And I didn't buy it with dreams of one day being a shaggy Brooklyn bike messenger wannabe (though I am sure that accounts for most of the sales of these things)

Hey hey now, I ride a fixed to and from work every day. And I didn't buy it with dreams of one day being a shaggy Brooklyn bike messenger wannabe (though I am sure that accounts for most of the sales of these things)

I wasn't being smart, you will actually be super cool. :D

Rumor is around these parts that Santa might be shopping for a new bike for me...the question is do I want a SS or a road bike? I have a fs race bike and a fs workhorse so that area is covered....

What do do.....

( i know, i know...tough choices....)

A factor that would weigh on my mind about SS vs. road is what is the road riding like where you live? Got good/rolling hills? a plus. High traffic area with a lack of quiet (relatively speaking) back roads? a minus bad roads, chock full of potholes and patch repairs? a minus.

if you live in a rolling area with sweet pavement and relatively low traffic, i'd go for a road bike. if not, consider a SS 29er.

g'luck!

How about a shaggy English teacher?:D

November is the start of "fixie season" for me. I was certainly the happiest guy on my street the other day when I rolled out on the fixed for an after-school spin along the coast.

To keep on the topic: A geared road bike is indispensible and I'd add another vote for having Santa add one to your arsenal.

To keep on the topic: A geared road bike is indispensible and I'd add another vote for having Santa add one to your arsenal.

Agreed, I was having this debate back in the spring. I already owned a SS and couldnt make up my mind between a roadie or a f/s geared bike. I finally decided on the roadie and a geared hard tail. The road bike has improved my fitness quite a bit and when you are pressed for time its a whole bunch easier to jump on the roadie and just take off, as opposed to packing up, driving to ride, riding, then driving home etc.

Hey Mergs,
I live down in Manahawkin. It is not great road riding down here, but then again, I have not really given it much thought either.

Oh and just for the record, I am too small to ride a 9er...we tried this summer. Even the reps at Pedro's said I was too small.

you could roll west on 72 and hit 539 or 532 and roll for miles and miles and miles. Pancake flat for the most part but you could get mega miles and probably not see a soul, which could be good or bad.

Hey Mergs,
I live down in Manahawkin. It is not great road riding down here, but then again, I have not really given it much thought either.

Oh and just for the record, I am too small to ride a 9er...we tried this summer. Even the reps at Pedro's said I was too small.

wow, really too small? i know a couple companies make a 15" 29er frame...of course there's always the custom route. or 650b.

or just buy a road bike and forghetttaboutit! :D

Hey Mergs,

not necessarily a bad thing! used ss frames are "on sale" now. everyone wants a 29er! :)

manahawkin also looks close to the pinelands, and that reminds me of a long road ride i did through them on my way to cape may. i think the only thing that saved me riding through fort dix was chevelle on the ipod and jimG urging me onto his back wheel. the good news is the traffic seems low. just flat and hot.

do you venture north to allaire and monmo county to ride? if so, a ss would be ideal at all those parks. i think gt2brew and trailgorilla have ss'ing in mind when they think trail design. fun stuff.

a few years I ago, I was looking to get into road riding and mtb'ing, but I could only get one. I have been bmxing forever, but needed something that would be easier on my back down the line, since I injured it pretty bad at a young age.

I had a custom mtb all planned out, but I realized I had no friends that did it, and road riding would be better for solo rides, in case something happened.

I got a road bike, nothing crazy. 105 group and al. frame. I don't want to say I regret it, but I haven't been using it as much as I'd like. I think the main thing preventing me from using it is my location. In order to get to an area that isnt swarming with soccer moms in mercedes suv's doing 65 on their cellphones, I have to go 8 miles or so from home in the car, find a place to park, get the bike off the rack, change shoes, etc, etc.

If I lived somewhere that I could just jump on the bike and hit the road, I would probably be on it almost every day.

Anyway, what is "santa's" price range? You could build or buy a pretty nice single speed mtb, especially a rigid one, before you could get into a nice road bike with 105+ components. You're going to want to get some road shoes and pedals and possibly different riding gear which will be another big chunk of money.

That said, my vote is road.

Yep, I am on an xs frame...too small...but that is ok....5'3" TALL!

At 5'-3" a 29er is not impossible.

A few weeks back at Fair Hill I saw a few women on custom 29ers that were your height or slightly smaller.

Of course custom means more $ but it could be worth it.

j

If I go SS, I would like to keep the cost down. Well either way really. Everything that happens in this house in the bike dept, happens times two.
We both got new bikes last year....so a custom bike is probably not the way to go.

SS or Road Bike

Get both and take the guesswork out of next christmas!!, nothing like getting next years shopping done a year in advance. The road bike might collect dust in the cold months but ultimately would probably be the best call considering you already have two mtb's.

Id do the road bike, its going to make you a better mtb racer fitness wise also if your pressed for time to ride the road bike is right there you can start and stop your ride right from your home,no lugging you rig on the car to the woods and then your ride,

Back
Top Bottom