SS newbie questions

rosceaux

So, I posted in another SS thread that I recently purchased a 2014 El Mariachi. I have it set up 32 - 18 and I am loving it. It is totally humbling on some of the bigger, rockier climbs, but I can do my regular loop at Baldpate with the exception of 50 steep, rocky yards going up the western red climb. I don't think that's a bike or gearing issue, I think its a HTFU issue, which I relish.

Questions are really related to the drivetrain. For starters, what are the advantages/disadvantages to a circular vs. oval chainring? I mean, I know what I've read, but in terms of riding experience are people generally using oval? Im currently set up with the stock 32. It is circular and non- narrow-wide. I have had no issues yet with throwing chains. To really newbie it up, it is running a "single speed" chain, though I don't know if that means anything as far as replacement chain and/or what chainrings/ cogs I could consider.

I'm happy just riding this thing around as is, but I want to make sure that I am maintaining and running it properly.

Thanks,

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I run an oval on my geared bike but have yet to run one on SS. I would but no ovals for white industries cranks nor were there for middleburn cranks. The advantage would make sense with a SS in that the down stroke on a 34t oval would equal to a 32t and 34t on the upstroke. But not having one equals not actually knowing the difference.
There is no need for a narrow/wide chainring
On a SS since your not changing gears.

Remember SS is actually 3 speeds
1. Sit and spin
2. Stand and mash
3. Get off and walk

Object is to eliminate number 3 :)

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
(As I found out with my KM) if you run an oval ring you'll need to use some sort of flexible/variable external tensioner. As Matty said, you don't need a narrow wide for SS as the chainline is dead straight.

rosceaux

(As I found out with my KM) if you run an oval ring you'll need to use some sort of flexible/variable external tensioner.

Ahhh.... that makes sense> I hadn't picked that up fro my reading and it didn't make sense how a 32 could act as a 30 sometimes and a 34 at other times. Makes me think that I'll stick with round.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I notice the oval most on my SS. You notice it most when you're slightly overgeared and kinda mashing on the pedals, which happens a lot riding SS. On a geared bike when it gets to that mashy point you'd normally shift into an easier gear. I also feel like I can run a bigger gear with the oval because of it helping with said mashing.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
#ovalded. Seriously though, I have only found one advantage with it. Traction on the ss on loose climbs. I don’t spin any better, go any faster, feel any fresher. I ran it on a couple ss setups with no tensioner and bo problem. See attached pic of a conversation I had with Gordon “Quadsworth” a couple years ago. He is probbaly one of the top 5 mtb ssers in the world.
3F4E8044-A45D-4764-961B-F8B0BCC2901A.png

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
(As I found out with my KM) if you run an oval ring you'll need to use some sort of flexible/variable external tensioner. As Matty said, you don't need a narrow wide for SS as the chainline is dead straight.
I’ve ran ovals with an EBB and sliding dropouts, I’ve never had an issue. This is fake news.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't think there is much difference as far as oval or circular. I run circular because that's what I've always run. Iggy science.

What will make a difference is what gearing you are running. 32x18 is a good start, this will work for most trails. Places with more elevation may be better running lighter, like 32x20. Flatter trails could be run with 32x16.

It takes time on a SS to find your cadence (the rate at which you like to spin). Some folks like to mash a big gear, while others would rather spin a light gear.

Over time most SSers pick a favorite gear and adapt their pedal stroke to make that gear work for where ever they ride.

Keep on SSing.

Top Bottom